• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Does anyone file their parrot's nails without towelling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackDele

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Adele
Clipping day here is funny. Everyone knows after the first birdie that its "that time" and they all run like crazy. Its the only day that they arent CLUNG to me..hahah
:lol:Jackie's the same. The clippers come out and Jack promptly exits.

I dont know if Jackie counts (because he fits in the palm of my hand) but he doesnt need towelling. I choose to clip rather than file. It's much faster and less irritating/stressful for him.

Mommy2Ferris

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Natasha D
I suspect that I will have to towel Ferris once I bring him home! Hopefully it won't be too terrible, for either of us! Lol. It's been 10 years since I've toweled... Or done any clipping

Crackaleen

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kathy
It is my mission to train Pixie to accept toweling and nail trims because my 'tiel hates both with a passion. It's historically been a major source of stress anytime we have to go to the vet or I've had to trim his nails. Towel training isn't going so well, but I have had some major success recently with towel-less nail triming with both birds. What I did was have the bird sit on my bare knee (makes it easier to get at the nail than if you have pants on), hold a sliver of almond (their preferred treat) in one hand and the evil nail clippers of doom in the other. The bird happily nibbles away at the almond and I quickly and efficiently clip nails while s/he is distracted. This would probably require an extra pair of hands if you're dremeling/ filing nails.

Status
Not open for further replies.