• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do your birds become Food Picky certain times of the year?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Im just curious if anyone else if dealing with this right now.

It appears twice a year, around October and around March/April, my birds become picky eaters for about a month or two.

Im wondering if this is due to the change in weather, seasons, etc? Does anyone else experience this with their fids?

For the last 3 week my fids have slowly become picky eaters towards their daily fresh produce mix I give them. I give them a HUGE variety daily. I have always given them the same foods, about 3/4-1 cup to each bird, give or take. And they used to eat almost all of it. But ever so slowly they wouldnt eat their bok choy, then the romaine, then the other two greens, then they started to just drop their fresh chop baby carrots, throw the baby carrots or shred them into tiny pieces without eating, take two bites of the apple or papaya and then fling it across the room, etc. The only fresh foods they will still eat are the corn, peas, seeds of the green beans, squash and sweet potatoe. Oh and they like Pumpkin. But all of these ingredients HAVE TO BE HEATED, or they just get nibbled on and thrown around. Oh and they still love the sprouted seeds and beans, that has not changed.

Oh and Squid and my cockatiels are the only once that will eat ALL of there foods like usual. Its my bratty U2s and my mom's duck butt M2 that have become picky eaters.

So since my boys have decided to hate fresh produce I've been forced to supply them more pellets, seed and nuts, which they have been going to town on no problem. And they have been eating more of the veggie crisp (dry) along with other dry veggies and fruits. I do have to say in the last 3 weeks my birds have gained some grams. But its just interesting that they do not like many of the fresh stuff around this time of year and right around the beginning of spring.

I'll continue to offer them their num nums(fresh foods), in smaller quantities, until they start to eat them again. Silly birds.

Last edited:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
My IRN goes through these food phases, first its strawberries, then, No, I dont like strawberries anymore. Then its cantaloupe, then grapes, then carrots...it goes on and on. I know hes tired of the so called favorite when he throws them on the floor. Brat bird!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Both my TOOZ are phase eaters. They usually eating something for a couple of months and then all of a sudden they hate it. A couple of months later they like it again.

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:p variety is the spice of life. I love icecream but can't eat it everyday!!:p

Andee

Walking the driveway
My budgies are equally as fussy! They used to love strawberries. Now not at all! Then they had a pumpkin obsession. Now they don't like it. Then it was a snap pea obsession. No more snap peas now. The only thing that never changes is their absolute love of broccoli! They will eat rather than millet sprays. Haha little moody things! They are like kids :D

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
My fids are fussy with foods sometimes but they eat them if I put canned pumpkin in, that's how I got them to eat fresh birdy bread for the first time, LOL! They love pumpkin so I snuck it in the bread, hehe!

Status
Not open for further replies.