• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do you let your birds ‘beak’ you?

Do you let your birds beak you?

• Total voters

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
Do you let your birds beak/nibble you? Does it lead to biting, or are they gentle all the time?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Birds explore with their beaks so I feel that a little beaking is ok. Though my birds know where the line is and not to cross it.
It´s important to set these boundaries while building a relationship with a bird.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Depends, if Burt’s moody or really excited I don’t encourage it as he’s a tad impulsive and unpredictable at times. If he is calm and being gentle I allow it for a short time.
Birdie has tried to beak a bit too rudely more than once, it’s a trap with him which starts off nice and ends differently so he’s not allowed.

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Parker my budgie will beak and nibble me on occasion. He is shy, so I love his way of playing with me. Lovie has "preened" me, not beaked, and it is gentle.
I think it is a sometimes thing. I also think some parrots are smart enough to learn to be gentle.

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Definitely depends on the bird. My tiel is incredibly gentle and is welcome to beak/preen me as much as he likes.

My quaker, on the other hand, thinks the proper way to handle any bumps or rough patches is to scoop them out of your body. No, Gus, that tiny scab doesn't need a Mohs surgery.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I really wish mine were comfortable enough for this to even be a consideration!

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Marvin - doesn't really beak.
Jericho - likes finger wrestling and he's proven himself very trustworthy.
Oscar - will sometimes finger wrestle, but he's still learning to control his strength so it's limited.

They all like beaking my clothes, but my clothes are not a fan of the practice.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
119CD38F-EC6A-4503-9E08-8BEE6E2C2EA0.jpeg
He’s got an ear fetish.
I honestly don’t even notice sometimes. Unless he goes after an earring.
He really only chomps if he feels my ear doesn’t return the cuddles!

DesertBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I let my budgies beak me. Marshmallow has always been very gentle. But when Sprite first started to beak me, she would sometimes bite very hard. When she did that, would I set her down and stop playing. She quickly learned that she needed to be gentle to play. She never bites me hard anymore.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
With the budgies they’re a mix of some are not good with hands, some don’t bother with beaking and some are not allowed to because they will bite.
Quarter has started beaking and I am worried he will bite, how do you set the boundaries of what’s too hard? At the moment I am just removing my hand when he gets too rough.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
While I was washing today's dishes, Marvin reminded me that she likes playing with earlobes** -- gently escalating until a little too rough.

(**typically when my hands are wet or otherwise occupied).

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mojo loves to beak me and is generally ok but occasionally gets a bit excited and i have to tell her no.
KiKi doesnt really bother and only beaks occasionally and you know about it have not been able to teach her any boundaries as it is so infrequent.

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
My budgies are very gentle so yes. When I was playing with some baby ciaques, they bit very hard, so if I had one:no.:lol:

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
The budgies beaking me is probably the most connected I have ever felt to an animal. It's participating in their social communication in a totally different way than cuddling my very domestic dog. Even when Merlin is just using his beak as an extra limb (he does this more than Percy, maybe because he is tinier)-- the first time he did that, I was so moved. :wacky:

In the first few months with baby Merlin I was SO worried about teaching bad habits, but he doesn't really play-fence with me the way he did as a baby, so I'm glad we played like that at the time. And Percy nibbling me when he wants me to keep preening? I could DIE. Just... bury me now, upon this lofty peak of the human experience. :dead:

Budgies seem low stakes, in that sense. I'm not just intimidated by the bite of larger birds, my pain tolerance is decent-- but I'd worry about reacting correctly to a bite. Even if an angry budgie hen really pinched and broke the skin, I just feel like there's not the same potential for intimidation there. :roflmao: Annoyance, yes-- frustration (especially if that is your only bird or your first experience with a bird), absolutely. But I feel like it would be WAY easier to deal with re-training a budgie that was biting for fun/stimulation than a larger bird, so in a sense it feels like there is more room for error?

I don't know, both of mine seem so intuitive without me doing much of anything (I'm sure being male and literally wired to be ingratiating is a big part of it). It reminds me of how quickly our poodle learned "soft mouth". We don't discourage him from a little mouthing for that reason-- he is so smart and intuitive that he uses his mouth to play and communicate without ever being too rough. I remember months ago saying that Percy would beak me in a weird way were he seemed to be trying to fit my whole fingertip into his mouth, just a bit soft chomp, and now he will do these whisper-light nibbles on my face, so I think he was just learning.

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Wait until you get your conure they have a bite on them
I'm closer to getting my conure! I'm suspecting March, or before then! I found the perfect conure breeder :D I'll take your warning!

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm closer to getting my conure! I'm suspecting March, or before then! I found the perfect conure breeder :D I'll take your warning!
Its what they do you need to teach them whats ok and what isnt

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Before they make it a habit right? I definitely don't want to make biting a habit
They will always be nippy you just need to teach them whats acceptable and what isnt, Mojo beaks me all the time and if excited i get quite a bite and have to tell her no.

Momof3litt

Sprinting down the street
Argo nibbles on my earlobe at bedtime. It's the one time he really preens me. I can scritch him at any other time of day, but at bedtime it's his turn to scritch me. However, the higher he gets up the lobe (and the harder-feeling the lobe gets), the harder he bites down - ouch! He's slowly getting the hang of "gentle beak". He is also allowed to nibble at little hairs or the ends of my fingernails, but when he starts getting interested in birthmarks, he is DONE. No conure surgery for me, thanks!