• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do you feed your bird(s) meal worms?

LostStoner

Meeting neighbors
I think the title is pretty self explanatory, but allow me to elaborate anyway.

I've had sugar gliders as pets in the past, and they loved meal worms, so when I got them I was even given a mealworm breeding station for them.

So I got to wondering do birds eat mealworms, and I just had to figure the answer is yes, since wild birds eat worms all the time, surely parrots would eat worms too, not to mention you can give the worms calcium supplements that they will pass on to the birds.

So I'm wondering if any of you raise, and feed your parrot(s) meal worms, or maybe you buy them some other way, and if so please elaborate on how you buy or if you raise them?

So do you and if so

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
It depends on the bird. My chickens and turkeys LOVE meal worms. And I bet my finches and quail would like them too. But I don't think my parakeets would be that impressed. They are predominately grainivores, not insectivores. The budgies would probably play with mealworms, but I would be surprised if they actually ate one.

However, most parrot species are ominvores, so they CAN eat insects and other meats. And some are predominantly nectar or fruit-eating, like lorikeets. The sources I've read indicate that insects only make up about 5% of the diet for wild budgies. They mostly eat a ton of fresh seeds and vegetation.

As far as feeding mealies I would be a little concerned that the shell casing might be too hard to digest. Not sure. A more soft-bodied insect might be a better choice.

I have flightless fruit flies and I was thinking I might offer some to my finches. I bet they would be excited. Although they probably already find interesting bugs to eat, since they live in an outdoor aviary.

What kind of parrot do you have?

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
As far as feeding mealies I would be a little concerned that the shell casing might be too hard to digest. Not sure. A more soft-bodied insect might be a better choice
I went to an aviary the other day and we were given mealworms to feed the birds. The IRNs and Lorikeets loved them. Parrots "shell" them. Basically squish out the insides and leave the outside.

I personaly wouldn't feed to budgies, but probably would consider a larger parrot if they like them.

Nnoki'smom

Moving in
Real Name
Kathy Moore
I am caring for my sons hedgehog and mealworms are a treat food for her. I had her out playing and was going to give her a couple. Nnoki (meyers parrot) has never had anything live, but she immediately wanted to get into the meal. I figured it was ok as it is just oats, but she dug around and got a mealworm. She immediately knew to bit off its head and then she crucned out all the guts and left the shell It was absolutely disgusting, but from the way she knew exactly what to do with it I figure that it is a basic instinct for her species. she g=came back and grabbed a second one so i put them away. I have read a couple of threads here now and have learned they are high in fat and protien so should only be given as a rare treat to pellet fed parrots.