• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do you feed beans??? Why or Why not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chewy

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Erin
I used to feed them everday. It didn't bother him one bit. But make sure you can squish them on the counter before you feed them they must be cooked before you give them.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
I feed beans mixed in with the birdy bread, I get a bag of 15 bean soup mix, pick out the huge lima beans, and then take the ham seasoning out, and put it in either their birdy bread or their bean/rice mix, they get both every few days.

Merlie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I feed beans, however, all beans are soaked for a minimum of 8 hours, rinsed, then cooked 10 mins. at full boil, and another 20 mins. at simmer. I don't feed soy beans of any kind, just a personal thing I have about soy.

The only bean I use for sprouting are Adzuki. Mung beans can also be sprouted, but .. can cause flare ups of yeast infections if a bird is prone to them, so I'd rather not take the risk, even though I've not had a yeast problem.

The trick, I believe, to feeding beans safely, and utilizing their valuable proteins is being sure they are well cooked.

JMHO

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
I see many people feed their birds beans. I used to, then my vet told me not to, as it would aggravate or contribute to any digestive problems.

Anyone else have an opinion on this?
We mostly feed various beans by way of sprouting.
Like Merlie posted, we also never feed soy beans or any processed foods containing soy.

Chick peas are loved by all of our birds; we feed them cooked along with lentils, kamut kernels and wild rice.
Have done so for many years without issue.
Generally, the bean/grain mix is fed twice a month.

By the way, our vet knows the diet we feed, and has never mentioned digestive issues. I am assuming your vet means if there is a pre-existing digestive problem?

Doris

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I suppose sprouting is something totally different.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I sometimes feed black eyed beans.. in the frozen mix..

and green BEANS all the time :D

I sometimes feed ground beans.. but not to often. I find my birds should have more greens and dark orange and red veggies and fruits over beans.. they get their healthy fats in nuts and seeds and some vegetables, so why feed beans as apart of their daily diet?:confused:

Gigi

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Vickie
The Goldenfeast soak-and-serve mixes I use contain beans. My parrotlet loves them. I try to stick with mixes that contain chic peas, lentils, and adzuki, at least one or preferably two of those.

Jally

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sherry
Beans worry me. They give humans and other animals gas, how can they not give birds gas? I don't give them very often, maybe once every other month or so. But, they eat a big variety of other veggies, fruits, and grains.

love4birds

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
I do feed my guys beans. I use a storebought bean mix in their mash (soak overnight, bring to boil, simmer 40 minutes or until the beans are soft) that is about 15% or so of the mash (2 parts grains to 1 part legumes for complete protein, that mix makes up about 45-50% of my mash).

I also make my own sprouting mix that has some legumes in it: mung beans, adzuki beans, whole lentils, and chickpeas aka garbanzo beans.

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
How do you sprout beans:confused::eek: Im assuming beans like the navy beans and other ground beans????
Soak 12 hours, drain and rinse..then sprout 1-2 days. The mix we sprout has garbanzo beans, mung beans, lentils, peas. (not all beans)
Have never tried sprouting navy beans, etc

I agree with your other post, that fresh foods are best! We do feed sprouts daily...cooked bean mix only 2x month.

Doris

WenM

Real Name
Wendy
Gas from beans is often a result of the fiber in the food product. Fiber is a good thing. Toxicty from improperly prepared legumes is the issue. Cook completely!

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I do feed beans in my mash and I sprout as well.

If you wish to offer beans to your parrots the BEANS must be prepared "correctly" or else digestive problems and aches do occur. Proper preparation ensures easier digestability.
My cooked beans as well as my sprouted beans are ALWAYS soaked overnight for about 12 hours. Beans must also be cooked properly and rinsed well before offering to your parrot.
:)

Last edited:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
My prepared Goldenfeast varieties have beans in them and in the cook type foods, I soak it overnight.

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
I feed beans every so often - but also soak overnight and cook thoroughly - it is one of those meals we eat together - I add a little salt to MY bowl, not the pot of beans

they love them too, I mix cut up, nuked veggies in with theirs :)

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
I use a 15 bean soup mix - use every bean in it and it's cooked thoroughly and put into their birdy bread (which after everything is mixed together gets cooked so the beans are actually being cooked twice ) they get birdy bread every couple days all month long every month

as for How birds don't get gas after eating beans - If i remember right its been said Birds don't get gas period - they don't have the correct body parts to produce gas - but I could be wrong it was a long time ago I read that some where

jamie

Real Name
Jamie
I use a 15 bean soup mix - use every bean in it and it's cooked thoroughly and put into their birdy bread (which after everything is mixed together gets cooked so the beans are actually being cooked twice ) they get birdy bread every couple days all month long every month

as for How birds don't get gas after eating beans - If i remember right its been said Birds don't get gas period - they don't have the correct body parts to produce gas - but I could be wrong it was a long time ago I read that some where
It's not a body part ... intestinal gas is produced by the bacteria that live in intestines of humans and animals and by other processes.

Flatulence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia :D

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
I have tried sprouting, but have only limited success. Maybe the beans aren't fresh enough? They do sprout sometimes, but oftimes they smell before sprouting, so I throw them out.

I have boiled the 15 bean soup mix (without soup) for them, but my birds are not so fond of it.

Soy beans (edamame) have gotten a lot of bad press, but they are the RAGE here at my house!

Status
Not open for further replies.