• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do you and your bird have any special training routines that are unique to just you and your bird?

JaeBae

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jaehee
For me, my training routine consists of me speaking in my native language of Korean and English. If my Indian Ringneck shows bad behaviour, I'll sternly talk to him in Korean. If my IRN shows positive behaviour, I reply to him in English. He seems to understand when mama is speaking Korean she means business! Any of you all have a special training routine that's just unique to you and your bird? Would love to hear them!

M&M Ninja

Strolling the yard
Mine is not as creative as yours, but I sometimes train my conure alongside the two dogs. Snack, snack, snack. They seem to enjoy it.
We also reserve the best-est of treats for rides in the carrier. Apple and nutriberries are both favored and take a little while to eat. I drop one in the crate, she goes in, door gets locked, and away we go!

dollfish

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
We do "be a flower" sessions with Astro, where he flies to his perch and stays there nicely to get occasional treats while we eat, otherwise he stuffs his face with whatevers on our plates. The funny thing is that he thinks crouching down on his perch is the trick that gets him treats because thst was the only moment we could capture before he made a dive for the plates. Now he sits for much longer, but always in that "ready to take flightc position. "Be a flower" is used in Turkish preschools by teachers to ask the children to sit nicely eith legs and arms crossed.