• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do I need a second Caique?

WallyC

Checking out the neighborhood
Hello,
New caique owner in need of your thoughtful advice. We've had Ollie for about 5 months now and she was 4 months old when we brought her home. She's been a great addition to our family as we spend lots of time with her and have taught her a few tricks, but lately I have been getting anxious about her future. We travel about a month in total per year (spread throughout the year) with most trips lasting a week or less but occasionally there will be some longer ones such as the two week long trip we are planning for this summer. During this time, we will board her at a reputable bird shop so that she will have company with the many other birds and people in the shop. We feel this is a better choice than having a single caregiver stop in once or twice a day to check on her. Myself and the children have really connected with Ollie and enjoy our time together but I'm afraid that we might be away a little too often for her best interests. Also, in about six years, after my children are all away for college, my wife and I will likely take some longer trips, up to a month. So, I'm now wondering if it is in Ollie's best interests to remain with us. Alternatively, I'm wondering if a second Caique might be the answer so that she has a buddy with her while we are away. I honestly am not too excited about this option as I don't personally need to own another bird for my own interests but would consider it for Ollie. So . . . a couple of questions.

1) is it wrong to own a bird under these circumstances (taking the bird with us on most of these trips is not an option)?
2) are other single bird owners and multi-bird owners out there spending much time away and how is it going?
3) will a second bird help with matters or will I end up with two stressed out birds?

I do get great enjoyment from taking care of her and it would break my heart to have to give her up (I'm getting a little teary eyed writing this) but I really want to do what is in her best interests. Thanks for any advice you can give!
Wally

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Bump

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
1615385954926.png

1) Yes it is wrong to own a bird unless you can give it the attention it needs. Birds are flock animals. Since you are its only flock, you have elected yourself best friend, sparring partner, and sexual mate (24/7/365) to a very intelligent and active creature
2) NO I dont spend time away unless I expect challenges and bites on my return. This is the bird equivalent of WTH were YOU?
3) Not necessarily. A second bird may instigate WW3, but in your case, with such a young bird, this is unlikely. Just make sure the new bird is the same age

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
I have 8 of these guys. You'd think they would all play happily in one big colourful family.

NO, snap out of it John, you're off in Walt Disney land again....

They have their favourite birds just like humans
They have their favourite enemies, just like us too.....