• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do all Red Bellies chew like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thejoie

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
She's a destructo-bird!!

I put a toy that Mia's ignored for MONTHS in her cage... and in days she's gotten most the wood parts off. I got a chewable wicker toy and it lasted a day!
My Avian Antics toys are shredded!!

I am soooo happy! I love when birds enjoy the things I give them! It makes me so happy to see her enjoy these things.. especially since she's been without for so long! She loves to dunk her wood parts in her water dish! It's always colored!! I just love seeing her have all this fun and all this new stuff to do.

I'm also looking for some new suggestions of good, a bit softer wooden toys for her? She doesn't seem too picky!!!

Quest

Real Name
Judy
Ah Joanna she sounds like she is
right at home already! Great!

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
glad to hear she is making herself at home!!

if I remember correctly, Saroj gets balsa for Rudy to chew :)

Babybreau

Real Name
Tanya
Have you not met Sir Rudy of the House of Saroj?? :rofl:

Destructo-bird at his best!! :lol: So glad Elle is enjoying her toys!

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:dance4:That's awesome. I need a redbelly to show my girlies how to destroy wood like they mean business.:D

Cory

Real Name
Cory
Kylie is like that as well! She LOVES to chew and shred. :D

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
:dance4:That's awesome. I need a redbelly to show my girlies how to destroy wood like they mean business.:D
I know!! I was telling Mia to pay attention!!! She needs to pick up a few pointers from Elle too!

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
glad to hear she is making herself at home!!

if I remember correctly, Saroj gets balsa for Rudy to chew :)
I will look into it!! Thanks! I think for her, the softer wood is more rewarding to shred :)

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
have you seen the pics of Rudy on the couch with his balsa? he looks blissful , shredding away!

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
Yeah I think it's a Red Belly/Poi thing. I almost had "It's a Red Belly thing" as my thread title for the pictures of Pretty with her wood.
I've found this toy to be a good one with Pretty keeps her busy for awhile. I put a refill in it acouple weeks ago and she still has some stuff in there.

http://www.mybirdstore.com/EDUCATIONAL_FORAGING-PARADISE_HIDE_N_SEEK.html

Last edited:

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
I think it's a Poi thing in general. All of mine but Petey LOVE to chew wood.
They have moments where it's worst than others, where I don't think I can supply the wooden toys fast enough.

Little beavers for sure :)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
**They say be careful what you wish for** but I'm thinking right now that I'd really enjoy a bird that is very passionate about destroying toys.:hehe:

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha

I am soooo happy! I love when birds enjoy the things I give them! It makes me so happy to see her enjoy these things.. especially since she's been without for so long! She loves to dunk her wood parts in her water dish! It's always colored!! I just love seeing her have all this fun and all this new stuff to do.

Zuri and Joey also do that, I like to say that they are "washing" their toys (as Joey likes to thoroughly dunk any plastic toy before playing with it).

I'm also looking for some new suggestions of good, a bit softer wooden toys for her? She doesn't seem too picky!!!
My guys does love balsa, although it doesn't last more than a day. I also give them pine toys; it's not too hard, not too soft and it last a little longer than balsa. They seem to enjoy it as well.

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
**They say be careful what you wish for** but I'm thinking right now that I'd really enjoy a bird that is very passionate about destroying toys.:hehe:
I totally agree with you. I buy them toys. Countless toys. And there is nothing wrong with wanting to see them being played with in the manner that they are supposed to!!
It only means that I'm going to have to shop MORE...ohhh noo :lol:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
She's a destructo-bird!!

I put a toy that Mia's ignored for MONTHS in her cage... and in days she's gotten most the wood parts off. I got a chewable wicker toy and it lasted a day!
My Avian Antics toys are shredded!!

Wow she sounds like she is having a blast over at your place.

Lotsa Birds

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Sandy
It is amazing how much my RB girl chews, and she is just 6 months old. She chews up things the greys and eclectus won't even attempt to chew. I make most of my toys and she goes through them very quickly, which is great but she sure keeps me busy ;)

Sandy

Carol S.

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
I dont know about red-bellies but my poi is a super chewer/shredder.

M

M.C Bird Rescue

Elle is doing so great Joanna!!!! SO happy for her! She found a great buddy in you, and you spoil her ridiculously! She went from no toys..to some here..to TONS at your house. I am sure you probably got her a new cage..can I see it..would love some great cage shots of her.

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
no new cage yet. She's still downstairs with us :) I kind of like having her down here. She's moving to the bird room tomorrow. And then she's going to be moving into Mia's cage when Mia goes mainly cage free! She'll be upgraded to Mia's HQ flight cage!

tammie

Real Name
Tammie
My little RB chews like that too. I've seen her on a wood perch, chewing it until it pops in 2 pieces. She loves to chew any wood toys and she takes her acrylic toys and swings them back and forth.
I have a young cape that is starting to chew quite a bit as well. She loves Cinnamon sticks!! She will chew on them and shred them apart. Looks like we need to find Saroj's balsa wood supplier!!

Status
Not open for further replies.