• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Do ALL Conures become evil little turds when hormones hit?

Mochithegcc

Moving in
Real Name
Miyeko
Mochi my GCC is a little over one now. He's a total sweetheart to me, and pretty much let's me do anything I need to. We've got a good amount of trust going on, and I've learned most of his behaviours. I'm in a conure group on fb, and am seeing lots of "Hormonal" issue posts. The main one is when super sweet birds turn crazy mean around 1 or 2 years of age. Can anyone please tell me if this is the case with the majority of all conures, or is there a chance they'll remain the same with only a little behavioural change? Also, does anyone know the different hormonal characteristics and behaviors in the male conure versus the female conure (besides egg laying) during hormonal changes? Mochi and I worked so hard to get to where we are now, so I'm nervous he's going to hate me one day! I know that's one of the main reasons SO many parrots are put up for adoption multiple times. Sad! If mochi goes all Cray Cray on me I'll still love him and figure it out while the hormones pass once and for all. Any tips are welcome and appreciated!!!!

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Pretty much. What you're dealing with is a "raging teenager". It's always the worst the first few seasons because it's all brand new (to both of you). They kick in hard and can last longer. It does even out and somewhat calm down as both of you get to know the ropes and how to handle it.

It's not just GCC's. It's parrots in general. Hormones are a biological function that work on a cycle. The cycle comes and then goes. But it comes back every season and it can't be stopped. Only discouraged.

Mochithegcc

Moving in
Real Name
Miyeko
Thank You! I know all birds go through it, but have heard conures can be on the more aggressive side? You answered my question perfectly! Mochis moment is right around the corner...yippee!!! Lol

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
100% rate over here with two babies, one being a green cheek :) It's natural. Instinct tells them they need to leave the nest so they can mate without inbreeding. If you have had him since a baby, you are a parent figure and it's unnatural for them to see you as a mate. So all the cuddly behaviors, etc, are now unwanted because it makes them feel wrong. All human teenagers go through this too ;)

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Pilo wasn't that into anyone till he bonded with me not too long ago... He has his moments that I attribute to hormones, but generally calms down after a while until the next season hits! I wouldn't say that he becomes ugly at all... just moments of "Hey, why did you do that?" Looks at me as if to say sorry and then I wait till the next onslaught! I don't think he even knows why he behaves that way as he looks as surprised as I am! :wideyed:

ashgate

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jen
Not with my 5 Conures, my oldest is 17 years old and always as sweet as can be cinnamon green cheek conure, 6 year old Crimson belly conure sweet and great talker, 3 year old Jenday conure sweet cuddly and playful and a good talker, two 1.5 yr old green cheeks turquoise and high red yellow sided playful lil bit more bossy but nothing I’d consider bad personality playful n sweet.

Mochithegcc

Moving in
Real Name
Miyeko
Thanks everyone! I've excepted that chances are he'll act up, but nothing I won't try to handle to the best of my ability. I'm hoping to have no big issues like Ashgates fids...you lucked out! Lol

ashgate

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jen
I know I’m Lucky I’ve read all kinds of stories about they can get nippy etc, but I’ve never experienced it so it’s a little hard to believe. One thing about my flock is that they are out of cage daily for 8-9 hours a Day here or there a little less when I have to grocery shop or something but generally they are out on me or flying back n forth from me and my 8 year old son to their Java tree or their playtop cages, not sure if that has something to do with it, just thought I’d mention it. Good luck, just keep a positive attitude when interacting with them no matter what. :)

Donna turner

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
My gcc is two and a half years old and she stays sweet all the time. I'm guessing she's been hormonal because she rubs her bottom on things, toys and my hand, in a sexual way.

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Yep, pretty much. :shrug:
But they're so cute though.

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
I have not experienced bird puberty yet but both Charlie and the new lovie are around the age where it will start soon so that'll be fun

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Aries gets a bit nippy and will let us know if he doesn't want to be touched. But for the most part he is the same just a bit grouchy during his hormonal times.

Valkyria

Walking the driveway
My Sun Conure is overly sweet instead of aggressive, he like to feed us, use us as his personal sex toy (NOPE) and preen the living daylights out of us. (Us=my roommate and I) :roflmao:

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
My not so fav time of the year lol. When it first hit my lovies they were out to kill my husband poor guy. Gracie was so mean it was scary. She didn't want to have anything to do with anyone but her "toy". Which thankfully broke lol and turned her back into my snuggle bug and she mellowed out. She still just tolerates my husband and my shy little guy was not as bad as her. He just became afraid of everything and did not want anyone to touch him or come near him until recently. But from what I have been gathering from a lot of other people who have Fischer's they are known to be very flighty and high stress.

Loor

Meeting neighbors
Most birds definitely go through a “rebellious teen” phase. I think it’s generally worse in females than males, or at least that was the case with my lovebirds.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I don't think I've seen any hormonal behavior from Buddy...yet. He's about eight years old and we've had him here for about seven months now. He did rip and pile some newspaper up in a corner last month, though. He did that for only one day, so, I don't know.

We've worked through Budgie, Tiel, IRN, and 'too "silly seasons" , and come out relatively unscathed...at least in a physical way....mentally, well, that's a different story...;)

sylven

Meeting neighbors
spooky post this mind :jawdrop1:,mango is "actively" attacking the wife, actually flying at her & biting ( shes 7 months old or so), only happens when i am in the room though ( she adores me, not the wife, the bird :rofl: ) when im in the room she goes for the wife , not every time but i would say about 6 out of 10 times , just putting it down to growing up , bit annoying though :rant:

Last edited:

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Mostly my boys are turds. My girls still stay very sweet but I do have to watch out for the bottom rubs from some of the girls though.

Skipper

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Scott Schifer
I am not sure how old Gilligan is, but given his behavior at the time, I suspect he was about a year old when I found him in the tree. For a few months he was very docile and easy to handle. Loved heard scratches and having his pin feathers done. But then he decided he no longer like to be touched or step up on fingers. He is "a big bird now". Once I understood this, all was fine, but I got bites for awhile until then. These days he likes to be near me or ride around on my shoulder, but "keep those fingers to yourself!" (He has no problem stepping up on the stick).