• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

DNA Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anfsurfer

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
Has anyone here had a first hand experience with incorrect DNA Sexing results?

I ask because I bought my Violet Ringneck "Orion" from a breeder in another state. I searched for a long time to get the male I wanted, and paid a lot of money for him. I already had Napoleon and didn't want to deal with my Ringnecks breeding. I received the DNA Certificate stating he's a male when I got him. However, I'm starting to think HE'S a SHE.

He looks so much bigger than Napoleon, and his head is shaped differently. Plus he makes all these noises that Napoleon doesn't make. I thought I remember hearing that the Females make certain "cooing" noises that Males generally don't. Plus the Lady at the bird store said he has a wide space between his pelvic bones or something like that.

Today I had another one done because I want to know. Was it a waste of time to do my own test? Are these DNA tests accurate???

love4birds

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
I've had two of my fids DNA'ed: Monkee (female) and Kermit (male). I absolutely do not doubt that the results are correct.

It's in my understanding that the test itself is very accurate and that inaccurate results stem from the person doing the test.

It's also not uncommon for birds of one gender to exhibit behavioral traits of the opposite gender.

It'll be interesting to see if Orion is indeed a boy or if "he's" a "she"!

Archiesmom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Natalie
Wow, interesting. Like Megan, I've heard the test itself is extremely accurate, but that human error can make even the most accurate test go awry.

I'll be looking to see the results as well.

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Did you get the test papers Per se from the lab or just the breeders' Certificate?
(DNA Certificate stating he's a male) Things can get mixed up...does he have a band/and same band info on Certificate? If no band...how does breeder know it's this bird????
How old is the bird....It took 2 3/4 years for JR, my normal green IRN, to get his ring. I thought all that time he was a she!
No it doesn't hurt to redo if you have ?'s...did you go back to the same company?:hug8:

Anfsurfer

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
I got a certificate from the breeder...the one that looks like a half sheet, resembling some kind of award. :) It doesn't have all the band info per say, Just "Violet #3". The number on his band is 3. Not sure if that certificate comes from the DNA Testing Company or the Breeder???

But I'm starting to wonder if a possible discrepancy has occurred by the breeder. When I finally decided to shell out the clams for one of her two Violet males, I had her send me pics of both so I could decide which one I wanted. I chose one. Shortly thereafter she told me she accidently mistook the female for the male, that the bird I picked was a female, and she would resend me pics of the other male...which turned out to be Orion. So maybe the mixup didn't start and end there...maybe there were more?

I don't know which company is currently doing the test. It was something I decided to do spur of the moment at the bird store when I took them to get groomed. They did all the paperwork, took the blood and sent it out. I guess I will find out when I get the results back.

What do I do if the results are FEMALE? The contract I wrote up between us clearly stated I was paying for a MALE only. If Orion is a female, then it would probably change my plans for their housing down the line. Do I confront the breeder? I don't think I could or would want to exchange one at this point, but it would make me angry.

I guess I'm jumping the gun...I should wait to see the new test results. As Megan said, there are cases where birds show traits of the opposite sex. So I guess I'll have to wait and see. Maybe the results will be male again, and this will all be for nothing.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
DNA tests are notorious for being unreliable and it isn't just human error. Some labs are also wrong a lot of the time, so it depends on which lab did the test. We just talked about this a week or so ago. I'll see if I can find the thread.

Anfsurfer

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
Hmm...when you read that thread, you get a completely different feeling about the accuracy of these tests.

As I said before, I guess I really shouldn't have a bone to pick yet as I don't know if there's a dicrepancy between the first and second tests. Time will tell... Orion is a Lovely bird, inside and out and I couldn't imagine making a stink about an exchange. And it may be a testing error...so I guess there's nothing I can really do about it if there is an error. I'm really just thinking out loud and dragging you all in to listen. HAHAHA!

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
My IRN A.C. Was DNA tested Male But Surgically sexed female

I've also heard a few stories where Quakers ended up being the opposite sex the DNA test said they were

and I got an Email the other day from some one with a DNA male cockatiel who lays eggs granted that person still thinks his "male" is a a MALE and thinks all male birds lay eggs since his DNA tested MALE lays eggs

I will NEVER believe another DNA test again!

but i'm not going to get into why surgical sexing is better just for people to tell me I'm wrong an i shouldn't of done it and it was not necessary and it hurt my birds WHICH IT DID NOT yanking feathers out to get that DNA test hurt them more then surgical sexing did!

Status
Not open for further replies.