• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

DNA Birbsexing

Lorimadnes

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
nty
Hey all. Got a juvenile lorikeet recently and I contacted a local lab about getting the bird's gender. He said that he would need either 3 plucked feathers (chest feathers preferred) or blood from the bird's toe.

What do you guys think will be less stressful for the bird? At first, I thought that molted feathers would be fine so I wasn't worried about it until he said the feathers need to be plucked. Now I'm thinking that toe blood might be easier.

Plucked feathers wouldn't regrow, do I have that correct? Not sure how much I'd like that, let alone the bird. Plucking a couple of chest feathers would be more stressful than a tiny pinprick on his toe, right? What is everyone's favorite DNA retrieval method?

Thanks in advance all :thanks:

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
Feathers usually grow back as long as the follicle isn’t damaged. I have done feather plucking with both my birds but I regret it as they held a grudge for a while and seemed quite stressed. I'd go with the blood test but I'd try to get a groomer to do it for you because you need to know how to stop the bleeding.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
The feather plucking is probably the safest for those not experienced at nail trimming and the bonus is it only hurts for a second or two while you quickly pull the belly feathers (which will grow back- a once off plucking won’t damage follicles). If you choose toe then you’re best to know how to stop bleeding (as mentioned above!) and you also want to know how to safely choose how far back to nick the nail as there are nerves in the nail that can cause days worth of pain or discomfort if cut too far back.

Lorimadnes

Real Name
nty
I was under the impression that they use a tiny needle to puncture one of his toes under the nail. Saw a video of a woman who was caring for a new hatched who did that.

However yes, I do not intend to draw the blood or feathers myself. I'll probably leave that to the vet when I take him for his first check up. He's still on his second week or so with me at home so he's still getting used to everything, I was just wanting to get a second opinion as to what would be the least stressful and harmful for the bird.

Thank you both. I will post updates when I have them :)

PS: It's a shame uploading or attaching images is so finicky on this site. Would have loved to send you all some pictures!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Only attaching videos is finicky as we can't host them here. Photos I have uploaded thousands :lol:

I've always had my vet do the toe, unless they are also doing blood work for something else; then they just use a drop from that draw. They clip the quick in the nail a little. Never seen them use a needle for the toe!

Lorimadnes

Real Name
nty
Hello :)

All the photos I have of him were taken with the high def setting on my phone so the forum isn't accepting it as an upload and was failing to add it as a link hosted on img.bb for some reason. Oh well, I'll have to remember to switch it off next time I take pictures :D

As for the toe, I am actually surprised this is the way they get the sample! In my inexperienced mind, going at the toenail would risk cutting a bit too deep and perhaps do irreparable damage to the bird's nail. Needless to say, I am going to be more anxious than the bird when I take him to the vet :wideyed:

Here's the link of the video with that woman getting the sample with a needle. They look like breeders actually, thought they were a rescue last time.

Anyways, thanks for sharing :)

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I did my last bird by the feather method and I admit I was against it because I was worried about distressing him and causing him pain but he absolutely wasn't phased in the slightest. And at least the lab I used through my vet said a drop or 2 from the toe wouldn't be enough and the only way was to take whole blood and that was far to risky.