• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

DIY Perch

Smith

Moving in
Hello ..
I have got a strong pine tree branch which is dried naturally and fallen from our community yard Pine tree. I have cleaned it and removed the bark and soaked it in hot soap water for an hour and cleaned with scrub and dried . ( I usually am interested on things like this and collect them for my craft works).Thought of using it as a perch for my cockatiel Since it’s a long branch. I have seen in google that I have to bake it. But my cockatiel cage is 42 inches long ,I have cut it in that length which I can’t bake in the oven . Can I use it as a perch for my bird Like that or should I need to do anything else to make it safe ! Appreciate your advises
Thanks in advance.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If it's already dried (no sap) then baking it isn't necessary. Pine sap is very sticky so it's best not to use fresh branches, but sun baked and cured should suffice

Smith

Moving in
Thanks Mizzely. It is completely sun dried and After washing too I have kept it in the sun for 2 days .The smaller branches I tried baking and there was no sap I could see.