• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

DIY Cheeeeep Forage Toy

triciakoontz

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Trish Koontz
1. $7.99 bee house from Lowe’s.
2. Scrub house with GSE solution.
3. Stuff with buckwheat groat pieces wrapped in paper towel packages.
4. Make some of the packages easy to access and others more challenging.

Thought this would be good entertainment for Thistle. It does take time to stuff the packages but not a problem- I’m listening to a great podcast. We’ll see how it works when Thistle arrives. Rating of this DIY to come in early June.

3EAA7AC9-944D-4C7B-ADEB-8E9D3C7227B7.jpeg

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
What a clever idea for a forage toy. I'm interested to hear how he likes it.

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Seems like a great idea! do u know if the wood is painted or stained?

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Since it is intended for use by insects like mason bees, the inner wood pieces should theoretically not be treated with anything harmful. Keeping in mind that not all manufacturers know what they are doing. The straws in some bee boxes are glued in place, but as long as the bird is not being left unattended or allowed to tear it apart, I wouldn't think that would pose much risk.

The outside of most bee boxes are usually painted or finished to protect the wood, because they are typically used outdoors. I wouldn't hang one in my aviary, since my parakeets would definitely try to tear it apart and chew the corners off, but as a supervised foraging activity for a medium or small bird, it seems fine to me.

triciakoontz

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Trish Koontz
House is painted. Will be used with supervision. My bird, coming home soon, is a parrotlet. This is intended for a table toy. I never expect birds to be happy just hanging out with nothing to do - always have a box of activities such as foraging and foot toys ready to go. That way I can just grab something fun.