• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

DIY bird stroller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjones

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melody
I wasn't sure where to post this so feel free to move it if necessary...I have been looking at the Pak O Bird and I wanted to know if anyone has tried to make/modify their own stroller? The celltie site says:
"If you have a handy person at home and have a used stroller, it is possible for you to make one yourself. It may not be as nice looking as ours but should serve the purpose. We encourage you to do so! If you do, please send us a picture of your creation and the cost and time involved. We would love to share the information with other bird lovers." http://www.celltei.com/birdcart.html So I don't feel weird asking. I have a VERY HANDY husband and he is always up for a challenge. I wanted to see if any of you have been successful at trying. :)

doodadz

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leilani
I have been considering the pak-o-bird investment but.....such an investment. would be interested in any diy projects that folks come up with.

mjones

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melody
AWWWW! I was so hoping someone would have some ideas! :thinking:

bubblelady

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
Okay, this is just off the top of my head. My mom used a walker (when she was still walking). You know the kind that have a small seat for when the walker wants to sit down? Couldn't you attach some sort of straps to fit a travel size cage? The walkers are expensive but I've seen them at St Vincents or Goodwill occasionally. Haven't looked on Craigs List for one but I bet they turn up. I may just try it out with my mom's, since she can't use it any more...I'm about to embark on a fitness walking program for me & I might be more motivated if I could take Gussie with me...while I try to get her to accept an Aviator harness...

mjones

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melody
That's actually a really good idea! I would like to take Tink for walks too...I know it would motivate me!

bubblelady

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
Melody, I like the quote in your siggie. They have that same quote on the wall of the aviary at the Monterey Bay Aquarium :)

mjones

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melody
Thank you Maureen! I actually saw it on the website of a bird rescue and just loved it!

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
I made a double stroller when I just had two goffins for them it cost 50 dollars for the used stroller and the price of their cages that I use with out the stroller for vet and other things they are sitting on a perch Little General did not like it I will use it this fall for shammy and Percy

Attachments

jasminlana

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elsie
I have a really nice stroller, a jeep jogging stroller with Ipod hookup I had from when Lana was a baby. It's 2006 model. Lana is soon to be 7 and I definitely don't need it for babies. I tried putting Ella's travel cage in it but it's not really secure in there.

I did contact Celltei and they said it could work for the conversion for the Pak O Bird. also double stollers will work too.

I may convert it because it's nice with the cup holders and Ipod hookup. I tried to sell it a few times, yard sale flea market, but no one would even give me $50 for it and I paid about $200 for it.

Some lady at the flea market said, it's a used stoller. I give you $20 beause it's used. I wouldn't sell it to her. I would give it away before I sell it so cheap to someone so rude.

mjones

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melody
I wonder if its cheaper to go with a conversion that buy from the site. I mean you would have to mail it to them, I am sure at your own cost...then they would charge to convert it. I dunno? :confused: I have seen a lot of those Jeep strollers on CL but I know none of them were 20 bucks! LOL I don't blame you for hanging on to it!

carlottalyn

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Carlie
I haven't tried this myself, but what about a stroller with a bassinet? I have two Emmaljungas, they're not too hard to find on CL or ebay (picture of one below) and there are other brands with bassinets too, they've gotten popular again lately. It might be easier to strap a cage or pak-o-bird into them without major modifications...but again, haven't tried it myself. ;)

Attachments

mjones

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melody
OOOOH Carlie- I like that idea!

jasminlana

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elsie
They say it would be approx $80 to modify the baby stroller and would take 2-3 weeks, so not really a small fee and not much savings if you consider shipping the stroller to them and paying for it to be modified and shipped back when you can buy the stroller part new for approx $124.

jasminlana

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elsie
The basinnet or carriage would allow the cage to sit flat at least without the conversion. The other problem I had putting the travel carrier in the stroller is the cage would not sit level so it was tilted back a bit. It was okay for Ella to sit in it in her cage with the hood up for shade while I was outside cleaning out the garage, but probably walking around it would be bumpy and hard to stay balanced so it would need modification.

mjones

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melody
Any thoughts on this one? It looks like there is a flat area or tray? and then you could use the straps to strap in a cage/carrier maybe?

Attachments

Last edited:

mjones

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melody
what is funny is I used to have one of these I used for one of my kids and now I need one for my fid! :lol:

jasminlana

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elsie
That one looks ideal to put a travel cage in. Maybe I scout around goodwill and the local second hand baby store and see if I see anything similiar for cheap

mjones

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melody
What do you think of this? Too much cover? Or would that be helpful? I am still leaning towards the Jeep/Kolcraft car seat carrier at this point but I liked this too.

Alternate Images | PetEdge.com
This is what it says on the actual web page:

Our Guardian Gear® Classic Stroller is a sporty choice for outdoor enthusiasts. Mesh panels on four sides and top allow pet to enjoy scenery and fresh air. Front and top panels zip open for unobstructed sightseeing and easy access, and have roll-down privacy flaps for protection from the elements.

Safety features include reflective striping for twilight strolls and an interior collar clip for security. The strong, lightweight tubular steel frame travels and stores with ease. Carrier has an easy-clean nylon body with a removable interior pad. Swivel front wheels offer easy maneuverability, while rear wheel brakes add safety.

Includes a removable dual cup holder and removable travel pack. Recommended for use with pets only. Holds up to 15 lbs. Measures 30" x 17 1/2" x 37 1/2". Easy assembly required.

Status
Not open for further replies.