• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Disturbing Cockatoo Craigslist Ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebirdnerds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jennifer
Hi,
I am not sure if this is allowed or not to post this but I was really upset by this ad. Not only is this guy selling a cockatoo and trying to trade him off, but the cage he is in. I emailed this guy and told him that it is a cockatiel cage that the UMBRELLA COCKATOO is in and he disregarded my email. Another rescue called him and he told her to heck* Off. How nice. So I thought you guys should take a look at it and if you know of anything that can be done for this poor bird, any authorities that could be contacted please let me know. This is in Michigan.
:(
You've got to see this Angel

Thank You for any info you may have.​

Quiverful

Life is a gift:)
Real Name
Dawn
Not a single thing for that bird to do in her cage:( Looks to me like she still spends quite a bit of time chewing on her feathers:(

I hope she finds a great home!!

M

M.C Bird Rescue

I was the one to call, he did not like me asking why she has no toys, cage was tiny, and in the background of another picture was a large cage with toys that he must of sold off already , or has another bird in. How sad for that poor bird. She looks worst than Tiki, and Tiki lived in a closet for 8 years! How sad!

katmgam

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
valery
no wonder she is a feather plucker. that cage is way to small. she needs a very good home. i wish i could help

amazoncrazy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Melissa
Poor baby. :( hopefully she'll find a great home.

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer
I really with I could help too. That is why I wanted to post and see if there were any kind of minimum cage size requirement laws. He says he "rescued" the bird. WOW

Last edited:

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
I got my Bea from an ad like that. Everyone was emailing her and insulting the way Bea was photo'd (see below)
The best way to get the bird is to focus on the owner. With Bea's owner I talked about the owner's hard times etc.. Let them do the talking.
"I would love a chance to be considered a new owner for that too"
"oh you must be so sad to part with that beautiful bird," never mention the poor conditions, say whatever you can to suck up to the owner.

Attachments

Allessa

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janifer
I would hate to see the conditions she was in before!! I have to say tho she does look sweet. Sure a lack of toys, but maybe she feels secure in a small cage? I remember Kristys Coco..Could be shes just "used" to that, you know? Poor thing...either way i dont think hes getting that much for her.

OMG Dotty i remember that!!

Last edited:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I sent some very wealthy infortmation on what he is doing wrong and how to improve the care for that poor darling umbrella cockatoo. :) I hope he will read everything I had to say :D

Come on people, lets send him EDUCATION

Unless you plan on getting him, doing the reverse phsycology and focusing yourself on the owner vs the bird, will help that brd get out of that home asap.

Angelicarboreals

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Angela
I got my Bea from an ad like that. Everyone was emailing her and insulting the way Bea was photo'd (see below)
The best way to get the bird is to focus on the owner. With Bea's owner I talked about the owner's hard times etc.. Let them do the talking.
"I would love a chance to be considered a new owner for that too"
"oh you must be so sad to part with that beautiful bird," never mention the poor conditions, say whatever you can to suck up to the owner.

Good lord, was that the condition that Bea was in?!?!?! I would have cried to see a bird in conditions like that in person.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I think we should all call him....every day.:(

ciesana

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Meagan
I wish I could help her! Poor darling. That makes me so sad! And oh, poor Bea! How horrible.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
He is not going to change, you need to get the bird out of there. Just buy him, you have to, the only way.
I paid $500-$600 for Bea, just to get her out.

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
I really with I could help too. That is why I wanted to post and see if there were any kind of minimum cage size requirement laws. He says he "rescued" the bird. WOW

as far as i know there are no laws on what size cage a bird is in, most places consider it fine as long as their is food and water at all times

I know when I 1st got billy (quaker)people got on my case about his cage being ''to small" but You can't change anything with him, he freaks out and it wasn't small it was a little bigger than the min. required. plus he only slept in the cage.

we did finally after 3 years get him in a different cage but its not a whole lot bigger- can't go bigger Can go smaller but not bigger

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
How very sad....I could not picture Nani in a cage like that with nothing to do. I sure hope someone comes forth and gets that bird...and it being so near the cockatiel makes me very nervous too...but at least he has a friend.

M

M.C Bird Rescue

As a rescue there is no way we could afford to buy a bird in that condition, pay for all of the vetting, a proper cage, toys, food...no way! Tiki alone has cost me hundreds of dollars in just the 1 month shes been here! We have 2 others here that were also taken in almost the same time. I have paid around $1100.00 this month just in vetting on 3 birds. It gets crazy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tamara

Real Name
Tamara R Money
That just breaks my heart. :(

thebirdnerds

Real Name
Jennifer
If I had the extra money I would totally by him but I just can not spend that kind of money plus the cage I would have to buy plus the vetting. I would LOVE to help this bird but I just can not spend $700 on a rescue bird. And I can't keep ANOTHER bird.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
This really makes me sad :(. I forgot how bad Bea's cage was. Here I was feeling bad if I missed a day of paper changes in Squeeky's mansion lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.