• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Distended Proventriculus/Ventriculus in Cockatiel - Help!

SD1030

Strolling the yard
my vet did an x ray contrast dye on my cockatiel and discovered that he had a distended proventriculus and ventriculus. She suspects Borna virus. She also said that another cause could be ingestion of metals.

Are there any other causes for the proventriculus and ventriculus to be distended besides the above two?

Anyone else have experience with this, and have it not be bornavirus?

i would really appreciate your help and insight!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
To my knowledge there is no reliable test for PDD yet. There is a quite reliable test for Avian Bourna Virus called the "Avian Gamglioside Assay".

Here is a list of other conditions that CAN cause proventricular dilation.
Proventriculitis - an overview | ScienceDirect Topics
Diseases that can cause dilatation of the proventriculus

My experience has only been with positive ABV.

Physiologic dilatation of the proventriculus of young psittacines or fruit/nectar-eating species, some Eclectus parrot
Chronic lead toxicosis
Proventriculitis (fungal, bacterial) and/or ventriculitis (fungal)
Myoventricular dysgenesis, koilin dysgenesis
Obstruction: foreign body, neoplasia, stricture, parasitism (e.g., cestodes, nematodes)

SD1030

Strolling the yard
The interesting thing is he’s eating fine, his poop is fine, he’s able to digest.
It’s just that he’s getting these weird episodes where he’s opening his mouth and exhaling something wet. Almost like a wet hiccup. Or that thing they do when they get a little water in their nostrils. And they try to expel it.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
There is always the possibility that your bird has an upper respiratory infection. It is not uncommon that birds who have Candida also contract other opportunistic infections. Your vet would need to test for this.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I hope the vet can figure it out & they will be ok.

:sadhug2:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm so sorry. Seizures and strokes are very frightening - but there are a number of things the vets can do to assist your bird. Keep your hopes up.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Thinking of you both :bighug:

SD1030

Strolling the yard
I know tha bornavirus can cause some of these neurological signs. His previous vet tried to get a blood sample from his neck and burst his vein. They also tried giving him a SC injection of fluids in his inguinal area, resulting in a nasty wound. See photo.

I’m wondering if any of these could have caused the mini-stroke type symptom I saw? Like maybe the loss of blood to the brain? I don’t know ;((

Attachments

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’m not 100% certain if there’s a definite correlation, but I have seen a bird seize after blood loss from medical procedures. :( Could perhaps be too much stress on the body, too. Not sure, but I wanted to let you know that I’ve had a very similar experience.

SD1030

Strolling the yard
I found out what happened with his wound. Apparently, the vet tech injected subcutaneous fluid that was too warm (hot??) and it ended up burning through his capillaries and resulted in a hematoma. UNBELIEVABLE.

That tech also burst a vein in his neck on the same day trying to get blood.

It’s a miracle my bird is alive. He’s alive by the grace of God alone.

This happened on Monday. I really thought I was going to lose him. The seizure happened today. Do you think it could be from blood loss? Even 2 days after? I would think a seizure after blood loss would happen right after? But I hope you are right and that’s all this is.

SD1030

Strolling the yard
He also started azithromycin last night. I wonder if that could have brought about a seizure?

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I'm glad he is doing better.
Sending some healing thoughts.

So the burst neck vein & hot fluids were another vet???

Hoping things are being taken care of & your tiel is OK.

I would not go back to that butcher vet tech & I would call the vet & report it.
Vet tech should take the temp of fluid injected & not inject any hot enough to burn thru blood vessels!!!!

Metals could cause seizures.

Glad this vet could stabilize him.

They did a xray dye contrast on Monday? Dye can have reactions. That has to be introduced into a vein. They don't like to do that if there is kidney issues. Hopefully it was not a reaction to that.

I guess any antibiotic or drug can have side affects. I really hope your vets can figure out whats going on more safely.

I hope this this last vet is not the one with the butcher vet tech?

Last edited:

SD1030

Strolling the yard
The same moronic butcher vet tech did the two

the contrast dye was oral.

no this last vet tech was the lead one I worked with. She was much better. I tried going to an emergency hospital but they didn’t have any avian vets available. Had to go back to the same vet office. They took me in and saw him free of charge.

they really don’t know what the episode was. A seizure or a transient stroke.
he has evidence of atherosclerosis so it could have been a stroke. He’s 8 years old.

Im planning on seeking a second opinion. I just need to let him rest and relax. He’s been so stressed this week.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
How awful and stressful for you both. I’m so sorry this happened, and I hope your bird will be okay!
:hug8: