• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent distal tibiotarsal Fracture

MorenoD558

Moving in
Real Name
Daniella
Hello parrot owners and lovers. My poor 1-year-old lutino quaker named Lemon fractured his leg and closer to the joint to be exact. He's had a cast for about 20 days now and the vet said to come back after 21 days but if he doesn't heal enough yet then it would be another month. This fracture isn't the worst type I hear but it's definitely not a nice and clean one ( I guess the clean ones make it easier to heal? I've never broken any of my own bones...)

He's on meloxicam/Metacam, enfro...(antibiotics), and calcium. I've been reading all kinds of forums on broken legged birds and they do fine but due to a horror story with the first vet I went to, I'm out more than $800.

My parrot has been regurgitating when I give him the medicine and shakes his head rapidly for a while after. He's not choking though, for sure.

So I have a few questions...

1. Will my parrot heal like nothing happened?
2. Does him attempting to put weight on his broken leg show signs that it is most likely fine and healing well?
3. Does he not like medicine when he shakes his head? he started this just 2 days ago. Before, he took the medicine like it was nothing.
4. Should I let him walk around on my carpet floor for more exercise? he's been spoiled lately and has been wanting out of the rubbermaid tub.

I love this platform where we can share our stories. If your parrot has had a fracture, especially this one in particular, please respond and tell me your results!!

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez

MorenoD558

Moving in
Real Name
Daniella
UPDATE: the vet said it’s good that he’s attempting to walk on one leg and rejecting the medicine. It means he’s healing.

id still like to know the answers for question one though.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
There is no way that anyone on this forum can tell you whether or not your bird will heal as if nothing happened. There are too many variables involved and none of us can foresee them. The xray looks good and the leg looks pretty well set.

You will just need to give him the best of care now and wait for the final results.

MorenoD558

Moving in
Real Name
Daniella
There is no way that anyone on this forum can tell you whether or not your bird will heal as if nothing happened. There are too many variables involved and none of us can foresee them. The xray looks good and the leg looks pretty well set.

You will just need to give him the best of care now and wait for the final results.
I agree, I know the vet’s opinion is usually the best one but we will never know until he heals completely. As a parrot owner, I just get so worried! Especially with small parrot breeds like his But you’re right, I gotta just wait it out.

thank you!

MorenoD558

Moving in
Real Name
Daniella
UPDATE!

Lemon is doing amazing. He's walking on his casted leg more and more every day. The vet said to give parrots any fruits/veggies that are orange or yellow(example: orange, squash, banana, etc.) because (excuse my ignorance) there is something in those foods that help bones recover. He said vitamin C and something else. I'm updating as much as I can in case if anyone has a similar situation :)

MorenoD558

Moving in
Real Name
Daniella
UPDATE:

Lemon got his cast OFF today and didn’t need another one! He had it for almost a month(from June 13th to July 8th)

the vet said he healed very well and he was shocked at the recovery. he was able to grip with his bad leg enough to show he didn’t need another cast(thank GOODNESS)

the vet mentioned to try not to use the medication anymore(medication was expected for one month) so he doesn’t rely on it And to do physical therapy exercises such as slowly pressing down on his back so he can put weight on his leg and to stretch it out. Another trick would be to get a Q-tip and press it against his foot so he can practice the grabbing motion.

nothing was mentioned as far as chances of arthritis so he should be healed in a few weeks.

Lemon was TIRED of the cast, haha. He started itching like crazy on his leg due to lack of moisture. The vet sprayed some Avian mineral water to ease the itch. I have aloe Vera liquid handy just in case. He’s been wagging his tail like crazy now that the cast is off and already lightly putting his foot on the perch!

thank you for reading Lemon’s journey! I will keep everyone updated from hear on out as well! Hope all of this information helps for anyone worried about their bird.

Attachments

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Great, great news about Lemon's healing so well. One of the benefits of being very young.
Do your diligence with the therapy and make sure he heals as perfectly as he can.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Do birds need weaned off of pain meds like people do?
I believe it was @Macawnutz that had problems with Tramadol with one of her birds coming off it.

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Metacam is an NSAID like Tylenol or Advil, no weaning needed. Since Tramadol is an opioid, it probably would need to be weaned if a bird had been on it a long time.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Great update, I’m glad Lemon healed some nicely! :cheer:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
As @enigma731 said some pain medications do need withdrawal and others don't . Tramadol and Gabapentin need withdrawal ( as does any opioid ) and NSAID such as metacam and celebrex don't. But it only takes three to four days.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Since Tramadol is an opioid, it probably would need to be weaned if a bird had been on it a long time.
Yes, I learned this the hard way and my bird suffered because of my ignorance. Took me nearly a day to figure out what was going on. :(