• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Discouraging/Encouraging

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
I've been feeling a bit discouraged. I've been feeling I'm not a very good birdie Mom. That I don't spend enough time with each bird. That Oscar isn't making the progress I had hoped for. That AthenaDon isn't completely comfortable here, yet. That TD needs extra, reassuring time with me that I just can't seem to find. Etc, etc.

Then I read a post on a FB group I belong to called "For the Love of Quaker Parrots" or something like that (I'm in several). A girl was agonizing over her new pet Quaker. She'd had him for 4 weeks. She got him just after he was weaned. She was discouraged bcuz she hadn't been able to teach him to step up yet, that he tries to bite her when she reaches into his cage, that he didn't seem to like her. Things like that. So, I was replying to her, telling her about how I was feeling with Oscar (who's situation is totally different, but still a Quaker is a Quaker).

So I thought back to September and how Oscar was the first week he was here. I began making a list of all the things that are different about Oscar then, and Oscar now.

1. I no longer have to wear gloves to change his food a water. He still squawks at me, but doesn't try to eat me!

2. I no longer have to have George towel him and put him in the travel cage so I can do a good cleaning of his big cage. I can put the whole upper half of my body into the lower half of his cage now with no issues! (Except maybe poop falling from above)!

3. He no longer sits in just one corner of his cage, but is actively climbing everywhere all day.

4. He no longer runs his beak up and down the cage bars for hours on end. He just does it in passing now.

5. He no longer feeds his feet for the other hours on end in the day. He only does this occasionally now.

6. He will come out of his cage (still never lets go of it really, but comes out) and get on a perch attached to the outside of it and come all the way to the end of it when I say "C'mere Oscar". He will eat his treat (1/2 of an unsalted pumpkin seed) on said perch, next to me, instead if rushing back into his cage to eat it.

7. When I say, "Gimme a kiss" he now makes kissing noises at me.

8. I invented a game for us to play while he's in or out of his cage. It involves crinkle paper. After he began to play the game with me I introduced a crinkle paper toy into his cage and he plays with it (and most of his other toys now)!

There's more. Lots more. Subtle things that perhaps only I see or feel. Like how he's coming out of his shell and I'm getting to see some of his real personality. Getting to know who Oscar is.

So, I guess Oscar really has come a bit of a way since September. It could be farther, I'm sure, but with two other birds who need my time as well, I guess, all in all, it's not too bad.

Oscar seems like a different bird than the one we brought home. He seems happier. He's very engaging. He's doing funny things (I think purposely to be funny). He plays peekaboo. He barks at the dogs. I'm just so glad he's a part of my life!

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I often have to look back at all the changes (like right back to how he was in his first month here) Birdie has made since being here to remind myself just how far he has come- I think back to what he was like then compare it to now and I am amazed at how many changes there are, I often feel sad for him and feel like I have failed him when I watch him move about and do things till I remind myself just how little he would do or was able to do when he came to me- he would not even move from one perch to the next or eat unless I held the dish, he did not chew on anything and basically sat like a tired exhausted bump on a log, put him on his back and he would lay there making a cat cry noise but he could not right himself, he can now!

I think it sounds like you have made lots of progress!

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
It took six months for Phoebe to step up. Close to a year for cuddles.

It's definitely important to celebrate all the little success!

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Memories....

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Honestly this made me cry happy tears reading it he’s come such away from bird you brought home you should be so proud you and Oscar he’s obviously doesn’t think your a bad mummy so hold onto that that’s massive progress for him and you

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
I always say it’s the little things that mean the most because those little steps we sometimes miss mean the most because they are building blocks to the big things and big things don’t happen without little steps

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Thanks everybody. @Shezbug sounds like we're kinda in the same boat (or were). Right now I'm in the bird room with both TD AND AthenaDon! Tried once before and the dogs went on a crazy bark down and they both took off in a fright flight. I may have posted about it, but can't remember. Getting old! :) Not being used to navigating the room with another bird flying about, I think, is what increased the panic and they both ended up crashing. Neither was hurt, but TD didn't speak to me for days afterwards. So I'm trying again. They had a little fright flight earlier but did not crash into each other or anything else. TD is preening on his rope perch and AthenaDon is biting my glasses at the moment. They actually played together for a minute. And foraged near each other. So this time it's going pretty well. If I can get their out of cage time together it will mean more time for Mom (probably with Oscar)! Or for sleep... What's that?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think you've made great progress and have given him a wonderful home.