• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent diarrhea

animalover

Jogging around the block
my cockatiel who I've had for 6 days now has diarrhea, its one color liquid poop, im not sure what the reason for this Is he's healthy and he has no other symptoms except this, when I got him, his poop was normal, but for the past few days its been getting more liquidy until this point, anything I can do until I can take him to the vet next week? I can't take him this week since ive already been to the vet 4 times this week for my hamster and our car isn't working, so we have been going with a relative, which I dont wanna ask to do again, there is a few normal poops between his diarrhea but very small amounts, he is in the same room with all my other birds, should I move him to my room for now until everything checks out?
thanks

animalover

Jogging around the block
also off topic but, somehow a bunch of ant got in his cage because he spills his food on the base, by a bunch I mean I literally just saw 10 ants, the cage is on the ground but its lifted by dowels, his cage is right next to(touching) the door frame, so they could've climbed that?? also there are no ants in any of my other birds cages, also from what I saw, there were three ants eating his poop????? what does that mean, that's gross how do I get them out, I really really hate ants, and I'm extremely afraid of them lol, there are a bunch of ants on the floor too because my brother keeps spilling the bird seeds and won't clean it up, I just put a poison paste on the corners of the room, its not deadly except if consumed, so I have to tell everyone not to take the birds out until everything calms down.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
No quarantine for the safety of all birds??

I personally would be pushing to see if I could bring the vet appointment forward if your bird is pooping different.

Ants are unlikely to be a big problem for your bird but cleaning daily and making sure there’s no food crumbs, sweet stuff or water anywhere often helps with ants. I think @Mizzely uses traps of some sort so hopefully she’ll share what they are (we don’t have them where I am)

animalover

Jogging around the block
No quarantine for the safety of all birds??

I personally would be pushing to see if I could bring the vet appointment forward if your bird is pooping different.

Ants are unlikely to be a big problem for your bird but cleaning daily and making sure there’s no food crumbs, sweet stuff or water anywhere often helps with ants. I think @Mizzely uses traps of some sort so hopefully she’ll share what they are (we don’t have them where I am)
yeah we had him in our room at first, but we moved him after 4 days since we have to get stuff fixed around our room so I didn't want him to get sick from the fumes.

I would really love to take him to the vet sooner but its just not possible, I stressed my mom out too much this week since my hamster didnt make it after all the vet visits, ill try to push for Saturday, but just school days are not possible.

at first I put his food on a low plate, and he spilled it, I put it in a deeper plate, he spilled it, he likes to sit on the ground to eat, and won't eat from his bowl on the perch, but other than eating on the ground, all his time is spent on the perches.
I dont even know how I would be able to clean the cage, like this, with all the antsssss, would they get out on their own or do I have to get them out :0

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Terro ant traps are what I use.

Spray the ants in the cage with half and half water and white vingear

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Make sure you clean the cage daily, and give fresh food and water daily too. If you can find where the ants are coming in the house that would help. Can you set the cage up higher? He might be getting stressed out being so low. He’s also probably stressed from being in a new house, so try covering three sides of his cage. His poop might be more watery from being scared since everything is so new. Is he eating okay? Make sure you never force him to do anything, but try to make everything his choice. Let him settle in slowly and watch his body language. If he ever seems scared or upset, back off. Good luck at the vets. If he gets any worse you will have to take him in ASAP.

animalover

Jogging around the block
Make sure you clean the cage daily, and give fresh food and water daily too. If you can find where the ants are coming in the house that would help. Can you set the cage up higher? He might be getting stressed out being so low. He’s also probably stressed from being in a new house, so try covering three sides of his cage. His poop might be more watery from being scared since everything is so new. Is he eating okay? Make sure you never force him to do anything, but try to make everything his choice. Let him settle in slowly and watch his body language. If he ever seems scared or upset, back off. Good luck at the vets. If he gets any worse you will have to take him in ASAP.
his cage isn't directly on the ground, its lifted with dowels idk if I already said that, I found out where they came from, for now the problem is solved since they died from the paste, but they will come back again, his poop is getting better, there's a darker more solid part now, and white too, I'm slowly starting to tame him which he's fine with, I only got him to stand on my hand to eat millet, and hes comfortable around my hands too, but I didn't do anything that might've stressed him out, I made chop last Friday and its in the freezer, we gave it for the first 3 days, but we stopped because we dont have time in the morning because of school and college, so when we can we put for them, but is it still safe? or did it go bad? its completely frozen so im not sure that's the case, can I still use it?

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
If it’s frozen you can still use it. It sounds like you are doing a good job with him. By off the floor I meant 3-4 feet.

animalover

Jogging around the block
it is 1.5 feet off the ground. I have no idea how I could lift it up I have nothing that low, but how do I know if he doesn't like it, his cage overall is tall and we let him out of the cage once to explore the room which he did fine, yeah I tried to carver out some chop when its frozen but its too hard lol, and we made like 4 cups of it.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
It might be okay, but birds tend to feel safer higher up. Can you post a picture of the cage? Freezing chop is a good idea, but next time you can put it in ice cube trays do it’s easier to thaw sections.

animalover

Jogging around the block
It might be okay, but birds tend to feel safer higher up. Can you post a picture of the cage? Freezing chop is a good idea, but next time you can put it in ice cube trays do it’s easier to thaw sections.
ill send a link of what the cage looks like
zolux neo jili bird cage but not the xl since that cost more than my budget, ill try to put it in ice cube trays next time! thanks