• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Derbyan-Mustache Parakeet Hybrid

birdy.929

Walking the driveway
A bird store near me recently put up Derbyan-Mustache babies up for sale. I'm absolutely not planning on buying this bird, but it was interesting to me. I know some hybrids die early, like most Pyrrhura/Aratinga hybrids, but some do fine, like many macaw hybirds. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this type of hybrid?

Mantis64

Rollerblading along the road
Mustache and derbyan parrots are extremely similar the only noticable difference is the size so I wonder what this hybrid would look like.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
They are very closely related species, so I would think that it would not have health issues related to being a hybrid, however @Monica may know definitively.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
There aren't "many" psittacula hybrids, so I honestly can't say... there are hundreds, if not thousands of indian ringneck x alexandrine hybrids... which I've never heard of any health issues in. Breeders in Australia used that hybrid mix to cross mutate mutations from IRN's to alexandrines. There's also ARN x IRN - but they're considered the same species, separate subspecies.

The following page lists some Psittacula hybrids, including the derbyan x moustache hybrid... which it appears that the hybrid leans towards a derbyan but with a lovely plum colored chest.

The Pyrrhura x large conure hybrids (so far, all Aratinga to my knowledge) are a bit of a "rarity", in that most hybrids are born healthy, and worse case, are born with infertility. The Pyrrhura x large conure hybrids are often (but not always) born with birth defects and who knows what else. Some have lived for at least 5-7 years, one if he's[?] still alive would be 13 now? (green cheek x nanday - to my knowledge is still around but that could have changed). There could be some (sun x green cheeks) older than that one.

There's also been birth defects seen in nanday x hahns, potentially in sun x hahns (multi-gen hybrids - might include jendays - hard to say how much is from hybridization, how much potentially from inbreeding), and some hybrid macaws, too.

Beyond that, you really don't see health issues/birth defects in hybrids....

Although I do wonder about King Parrot x Rainbow Lorikeet.... that is an odd mix! Or perhaps the Jardines x Timneh... or Conure x Amazon hybrids... or Caique x Conures...

TropiKate

Meeting neighbors
Oh my goodness, this is crazy to see! I actually just put a deposit on one of the babies that you're speaking of!! The breeder told me that he should be the size of a Derbyan with the coloring of a mustache :) I'm beyond excited!! I actually put 2 videos of him that the breeder sent to me onto my youtube @TropiKate :D he's SO precious and I'm counting down the days until I receive him!!!

TropiKate

Meeting neighbors
Those are just a few! I think the others were too big to post :( but I've decided to name him Luau :heart:

• Love
Reactions: Ali

TropiKate

Meeting neighbors
These are 2 videos I got of him from the breeder :) Sorry the quality isn't fantastic, they were sent to me through text!

• Love
Reactions: Ali