• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dehydrator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConureDelSol

Sitting on the front steps
It's beyond me why I've never signed up and asked this question here before.

I have a finicky Sun Conure. He just won't eat fresh fruit and veggies (or sprouts). He will, however eat things in dehydrated form. I guess he likes the texture better. So I've been considering getting a dehydrator and just chopping up a few veggies and fruit and making a batch of treats for him. My only reservation is that the dehydrated stuff I have given him has been store-bought stuff that probably has all sorts of sugars and other things in it to attract him.

He does love fruit in juice or smoothie form, but that's just so much harder to store for long periods (not to mention that he makes a mess of everything!). I'm just afraid I'll finally get a dehydrator and find out that he STILL won't eat the veggies and fruits now that they don't have all that processed sugary goodness all over them.

Thoughts?

Sunshine

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Liz
the dehydrated sugars at the store bought foods should not be in your bird's diet anyway, or the chemicals they add to preserve it, sulfur dioxide i think? I do have a finicky eater as well, a sennie. I got a dehydrator and about once a month I dehydrate veggies and fruits for him, ok i eat then too sometimes :D. the only thing i add is some kind of citrus (orange or lime zest) to some things that get dark when dehydrated like apples and bananas. He likes them because they aren't wet, he will only eat some fruits and veggies raw so this is my best choice. he does not seem to have a preference for store bought fruits over the ones i make. also the dehydrator has many more uses than just fruits and veggies, you can make seed crackers, dry flowers and herbs for later use, did i mention dehydrated cherry tomatoes and berries taste amazing and go well with many meals for both birds and ppl?
well good luck, but i do recommend getting the dehydrator.

WallyLoopey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
I have also been wanting a dehydrator...but fear after buying one the birds won't eat what I make....

I know I won't eat it! :lol:

JackDele

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Adele
Not sure about the dehydrator but regarding the fruit smoothies, I make up vegie mash (essentially a vegie smoothie :D ) and freeze it in icecube trays. Very easy, nutritious, and much less waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.