• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Declawing Cats, Not In Pittsburg

Oscarbird

Sprinting down the street
Declawing is so terrible, I wish people wouldn't do that to their cats. You're essentially asking the tip of your cats finger to be cut off. :(

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
No matter how many times a cat scratches me, I wouldn’t ever wish declawing on them :(

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
totally cruel

but i am up the wall with cats have currently got three stalking my parrots really frustrating

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Have you looked up plants cats don’t like, Wardy? If I were you, I’d plant a bunch below the window where they’re stalking your birds.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's been illegal in the UK since 2006, and even before then was not common. Most vets would refuse to carry it out unless there was a medical reason for doing so. The first I heard of it was when I got an internet connection and started interacting with people from the US, and I was horrified that it seemed to be almost routine there.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I dont know why the US is so behind in this practice. If vets would just say no in most cases (like I dont want my furniture scratched) we would not need laws passed. If a person places furniture more important than a companion cat, why get a cat in the first place?

@GoDucks

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don’t know that it’s common here. Most cats are not declawed here, if you look on adoption sites. I’d be surprised if it were that common in the US.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I don't know if it's as common in the US anymore (haven't had a kitten in over a decade) but it used to be VERY common. Basically when you scheduled their spay/neuter you automatically also were asked if you would like to declaw at the same time. It was very routine. It was explained to me back then that so many cats lose their homes due to destroying furniture/houses that the vets figured it was better to be declawed and have a home, than to have claws and be on the street.

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
I agree it should be illegal as well every where

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
Where I live they are proposing a ban on declawing too.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I don't know if it's as common in the US anymore
In the senior complex where I live there are 5 cats , owned by 4 people, that I know of from speaking with their owners that have had their cat's claws removed by a vet for the "sake of their furniture". The cats are young to middle aged. So where I live it is still happening.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
This is the bill currently proposed in Maryland.

HB445 would prohibit vets from performing declawing procedures unless they’re needed for “therapeutic purposes,” which the bill describes as procedures that are necessary for the cat’s health or well-being. Under the bill, vets who don’t comply with the law could face a fine and have their license revoked or suspended.