• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Death of my beloved budgie

Ivan.Vanca

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ivan Vanca
Hello. One of my 8 budgies, albino female budgie Cicinka died yesterday ( 16. 10. 2021 ) evening.... I probably brought her almost 3 years ago with chronic chlamydia and maybe also megabacteria. Megabacteria was treated by amfotericin B, but was also found later, yesterday... PRobably since yesterday she had stucked egg. She was not hormonally good, the egg yesterday had to be broken in the oviduct.... She had probably the rupture of the oviduct, the shape on the belly was really large.... She was very exhausted from the unability to lay the egg yesterday and died in the evening. I am very sorry for that.
Cicinka, I wish you a good another life. Thank you and I know you are staying with us together, with your daughter Erwinka, son Norbert, grandson Gurgo, granddaughter Gulliverka.... gradndaughter Attertka who flew away in June from the balcony....
I am sending you never ending kisses. I love you forever.
Is there anything we can do when having a budgie who is constantly in breeding condition? Separating from males?
Todays update : The autopsy showed probably inflammation of the oviduct, some affect of the proventriculi probably due to megabacteria. So the biggest problem was the constant laying condition , lack of calcium and exhaustion. What is possible to to with that?

Sunni Tiel

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Oh no, I'm so sorry. :sadhug2:

To prevent the constant breeding behavior, you can try giving them longer sleeping periods, at least 12 hours. You need to make sure there are no nesting boxes, snuggle huts or other enclosed, dark spaces that could encourage breeding behavior. Warm or wet foods are another thing that encourage nesting activity. I'm so sorry that happened! I hope you can find a solution.

Ivan.Vanca

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ivan Vanca
Thank you, Sunni,

I have 8 budgies in 2 rooms. Including that who died yesterday... and she was in the cage because she had broken wing last year... but mainly she had a big lump on the belly. It was the rupture of the oviducts, or how to say it.... it would limit her flying.... even though she was in the cage alone, other budgies were flying around her... for example her grandson who loves her...., and maybe it stimulated her. I gave her 2 times yesterday hormons into cloaka to provoke the egg to go out, but maybe I did a mistake by dosing that..... maybe I made a mistake by not giving her calcium constantly. :-( I was not prone to separate her from others, it would be stressful.

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I'm sorry for your loss.

Changing things up on a chronic egg layer if often necessary. The change and insecurity with new surroundings is usually enough for them to not feel comfortable enough to lay.

Ivan.Vanca

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ivan Vanca
thank you. She is with us forever. But I did not understand the point in your reply, I am not a native english speaker, sorry.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
thank you. She is with us forever. But I did not understand the point in your reply, I am not a native english speaker, sorry.
I think what @Macawnutz was saying is that rearranging a bird's cage frequently can help discourage egg laying. Usually a bird will only lay eggs in an area that they know well and feel secure in. If you move the perches to different spots, move toys, food dishes, etc. that can make a bird - not uncomfortable in a bad way- but less likely to lay eggs because things keep being new. Does that make sense?

And I'm very sorry for your loss.

Ivan.Vanca

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ivan Vanca
Thank you. she like any other budgie will have a good another life.
Well, I think it would not help... she was in the cage due to the bulb on the belly which was a rupture of the oviduct probably.... and it would limit her flying. Otherwise she would be flying with others...
when I placed any bowl in her cage with mineral stone, she went there to destroy the stone to make it into powder and she probably thought she was going to nest there... I could not help that.... Those were constant hormonal changes.

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
I lost a solitary hen who was a chronic layer many, many years ago. She was 3 yrs. old and despite all our efforts to discourage it she continued to lay and we lost her to egg binding. I am so very sorry for your loss.:sadhug2:

Ivan.Vanca

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ivan Vanca
thank, Lori. I am sorry for your budgie too. She also has a good another life.
Maybe the females have low of calcium and therefore this happens.... Also 3 years old like my budgie..... in my case the egg was a little broken by my vet. in the oviduct to go away easily, but still she was too exhausted. There are not preventions against that?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Common causes of egg binding are low calcium and lack of exercise. Flying actually helps strengthen the same muscles needed to push an egg out. Seed diets are low in calcium and devoid of Vitamin D3, which is necessary to absorb the calcium. Constant egg laying further depletes the body of calcium.

I am very sorry for your loss :(

Ivan.Vanca

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ivan Vanca
thanks. I had to keep the budgie in the cage due to her limited flying, she would be falling down on the floor. I used to put over her the UVB lamp often, or every day... for maybe one hour...., She has the calcium just from the stones, but maybe did not help... but even if she would have enough calcium she would be exhausted, so maybe it would not help.... Yes,. I give seeds, not pellets, they are hard for kidneys.
I will be glad if she is more healthy in another life.

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
Flying actually helps strengthen the same muscles needed to push an egg out.
This is so very important. The little hen I had years ago came to me clipped and never learned to fly very well even after her wings grew out. That combined with the chronic laying took a toll on her unfortunately.

Ivan.Vanca

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ivan Vanca
yes I believe you, but I let my budgie to fly, but if she had broken wing 18 months ago and had that lump on the belly, I had to keep her in the cage, despite my dream was to let her flying all the day.

Ivan.Vanca

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ivan Vanca
Hello. From the histology report of my budgie Cicinka I read she had no active chlamydiosis or megabacteria now despite occuring megabacteria in the poops, but maybe she was a carrier, PCR will show. Kidney tubules suffered damage, but not in a large scale that they would collapse, dystrofy deposits of the liver, mild inflammation of the oviduct, etc.... My vet claims that the reason of the death was due to exhaustion of the organism due to sustained egg layings and long term fighting with infections.
So I like an owner could probably not to do more to prevent that.... despite I am awaiting that maybe somebody will recommend to try pelleted diet to better prevent such cases, but I Do not know....

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I am glad you got some answers. Again, so sorry for your loss.

Ivan.Vanca

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ivan Vanca
thanks once more. I will be glad if she has a good life in another body. yes, I got the histology report, I have to have informations, otherwise I would maybe go into some psychical issues.... Never mind.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
:sadhug2:Sorry, sometimes we can do all we can do but its not enough to save them.
She knew she was loved & you tried your best...Now she is an angel with wings who looks out for you,

:sorrow:

Ivan.Vanca

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ivan Vanca
Camel... thanks. No, she is a happy in another life, not an angel over me..... My budgies are scared of me, they are not tamed..... Maybe I had to separate her from others on some time, but it was not easy. Since my beloved 13 years old budgie died on nephritis on April 11 - 2017, since that each my budgie died much younger, mainly on liver issues, so some problem is there. MAybe in emotions of their owner ( me ).

Ivan.Vanca

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Ivan Vanca
Thanks, Lori,

maybe I underestimated the situation with dangers of constant laying eggs and not adding calcium, I do not know.