• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Dear, breeding season, no one likes you!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well they are confined to online two rooms but still.
That sounds more manageable, but hormonal animals still scare me. They leave all compassion at the door and just see red.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
That sounds more manageable, but hormonal animals still scare me. They leave all compassion at the door and just see red.
Sometimes that is so true. It's funny though because they are all individuals, I know which ones to watch out for and which ones are okay. All my girls are fine with me (at least as fine as they usually are), they have issues with one another though. All the boys are pretty protective of the girls so you really have to watch out not to get in the middle of that. The girls come right over if you let them and then the crazy, hormonal, territorial boy follows...look out. LOL!

I've got two sweet girls who are only about 9 months old who are not hormonal though :)

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sometimes that is so true. It's funny though because they are all individuals, I know which ones to watch out for and which ones are okay. All my girls are fine with me (at least as fine as they usually are), they have issues with one another though. All the boys are pretty protective of the girls so you really have to watch out not to get in the middle of that. The girls come right over if you let them and then the crazy, hormonal, territorial boy follows...look out. LOL!

I've got two sweet girls who are only about 9 months old who are not hormonal though :)
LOL!! I truly applaud those with multiple birds. I have my hands full with one. I can't imagine an entire flock. Seems like it would always be go, go, go! And to think a Caique was top of my list before I found Java.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
ummm . . . I've heard about hormonal Amazons, so . . . I'll pass :roflmao:
The only reason we haven't all heard tales of hormonal vasas is 'cause no one else has them. :shrug3:

You're a trailblazer for the rest of us. :heart2:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Lol I see Henry is an Amazon . . . ummm . . . I've heard about hormonal Amazons, so . . . I'll pass :roflmao:
There is a plus.... he's not noisy ... at all. He says funny things. So at the least, you'll be laughing as you run away.... :laughin:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I'm not sure what goes on in his mind. He kicks and screams (figuratively) when I put his harness on, then once he's outside, he's 100x calmer than he is indoors. And, Andrea, no deal, I'll keep my mellow imp over a raging Amazon any day lol

oh dear...what's that saying we used to say... oh... " No guts no glory!" or was it " No pain, no gain".... eh, I think that was back in the day when I lifted weights for body building..

I put two vegetables on his top tray today, early munchie.... ( a sugar snap pea and a slice of a new squash - Buttercup squash). He climbed up to his top perch. Minutes later, he looked like he lost his balance a bit so I watched him. He stretched his neck straight up long. Oh..okay. I recognized that look. The slice of squash....... was a MONSTER!!!!! So I had to take it away. See Brittany..... he can be quite the big scaredy cat.. he doesn't rage alllll the time... :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I'm not seeing the problem? :D

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
oh dear...what's that saying we used to say... oh... " No guts no glory!" or was it " No pain, no gain".... eh, I think that was back in the day when I lifted weights for body building..

I put two vegetables on his top tray today, early munchie.... ( a sugar snap pea and a slice of a new squash - Buttercup squash). He climbed up to his top perch. Minutes later, he looked like he lost his balance a bit so I watched him. He stretched his neck straight up long. Oh..okay. I recognized that look. The slice of squash....... was a MONSTER!!!!! So I had to take it away. See Brittany..... he can be quite the big scaredy cat.. he doesn't rage alllll the time... :)
Hours later..... the Big Green guy is still traumatized by said monster squash slice. The plus.... I didn't have to wipe one pile of poop off his top tray. The minus... he's afraid to climb up to his top perch and is still goose necking to see if something is still on the tray. Reminds me of the time I put some dark blue berries up there. He wouldn't venture to the top perch for four days.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The only reason we haven't all heard tales of hormonal vasas is 'cause no one else has them. :shrug3:

You're a trailblazer for the rest of us. :heart2:
Ugh, how unfortunate. Yesterday he randomly sounded off like a siren, something he's never done before. I don't know where he learned it but I was pretty impressed by how real it sounded. He's full of surprises :heart:

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hours later..... the Big Green guy is still traumatized by said monster squash slice. The plus.... I didn't have to wipe one pile of poop off his top tray. The minus... he's afraid to climb up to his top perch and is still goose necking to see if something is still on the tray. Reminds me of the time I put some dark blue berries up there. He wouldn't venture to the top perch for four days.
Awww, poor thing! How dare that squash encroach onto his territory :laugh:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
With him being an ex breeder I’m wondering if he’s more comfortable outside. Lots of breeder birds here are outside only birds with good shelter so when retired they’re pretty much classed as mostly aviary birds.
Was he kept outside before he came to you?

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
With him being an ex breeder I’m wondering if he’s more comfortable outside. Lots of breeder birds here are outside only birds with good shelter so when retired they’re pretty much classed as mostly aviary birds.
Was he kept outside before he came to you?
Yes, before me, he spent his entire life outside, which would explain why he's so unnerved indoors. I was told that if he didn't come to me, he would've been sent to another breeding program. I don't know how that would've worked. I believe his cage mate was sent to Eclectus Ark and is part of their breeding program. I assume Java would've been sent there as well. I think he's happy being retired. Female Vasas are brutal to their mates, having several at a time, and it's even been documented of the females cannibalizing her mate(s). Java's breeding days are over. I hope he becomes relaxed indoors like he is outdoors one day.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Too bad we can't give parrots saltpeter - they wouldn't suffer so badly nor would we.

How long have you had Java now? Not all that long, really and you have come miles and miles with him. He will come around and he will keep wrapping you around his little talon - which is fine.

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Too bad we can't give parrots saltpeter - they wouldn't suffer so badly nor would we.

How long have you had Java now? Not all that long, really and you have come miles and miles with him. He will come around and he will keep wrapping you around his little talon - which is fine.
I've had my little imp for 2 years and 2 months. Seems like he's been around much longer :heart:

Brittany0208

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am glad that Bella doesn't get crazy when hormonal. My first tiel would scream for weeks but give Bella millet and toys and she is happy.
You're so lucky lol when he's not hormonal, he hardly makes a peep. Now everytime I look at him, he has something to shout lol

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Awww, poor thing! How dare that squash encroach onto his territory :laugh:
yeah, when I changed his papers he sat inside his cage, which I don't like because I'm reaching in to get those soiled papers. I don't use a grate because I hate scrubbing them. Normally, he'll take my direction and go sit up on the top perch over the top pan. He was just too freaked out to do that. He sat on a perch inside and watched me very well behaved. I've only seen him out once today sitting on top. He's been pretty good the past few months, loves having his head scratched and asks for it by sitting close to me when I'm wiping his top tray off. I've only every been bitten by him 2 times since I've had him. Once was intentional, the other I was holding his beak to smooch his cheek and his upper beak pierced my thumb ( that was quite a long time ago). I'd say that's a pretty good average for a zon owner. True... I have not picked him up since age 5 when he had his first outburst of hormones. A year later I fell and broke my leg and wasn't able to care for him for at least four months ( hubby did it). I'm just not comfortable picking him up anymore because I don't want to risk a fall and break another bone.

Status
Not open for further replies.