• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Dead Weeping Willow Limb?

JadeCockatiel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cassandra
Would it be safe to use a Dead Weeping Willow Limb? It doesn't grow leaves or new small branches. It is still attached to the Young Willow. I plan on cutting it off. I really don't want it to go to waste if it can be used. It is about 1.5 to 2 inches in Diameter, about 2 or 3 foot long, and pretty straight as natural wood limbs can be.

Graeme

Strolling the yard
It should be fine, WEEPING WILLOW - Salix is listed as safe. Just be sure to clean it properly and let it dry out in sunlight.

Some suggest using bleach, but I am not a fan of bleach and would be inclined to use white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide instead. Followed by a thorough rinsing and then drying in the sun.

JadeCockatiel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cassandra
It should be fine, WEEPING WILLOW - Salix is listed as safe. Just be sure to clean it properly and let it dry out in sunlight.

Some suggest using bleach, but I am not a fan of bleach and would be inclined to use white vinegar and hydrogen peroxide instead. Followed by a thorough rinsing and then drying in the sun.
Okay. I was just curious. Since it is already dead and sort of dried. I don't like using bleach either. Being a reptile/rodent/fish person, we usually back woods and limbs. :)

Chantilly Lace

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Chantel
Yep, it is safe my birds and chinchilllas love willow. I boil them for 20 minutes, then bake in the oven at 200 degrees for a few hours to dry them. Disinfects and gets any nasty critters out!