• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Day 2 with the little one

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
It seems like every bird is different. i gave them hand feeding formula in the morning because they didn't seem to eat anything except millet. I had seed, pellets, oven bites, and veggies out in a dish and in a plate on top of their cage. I realized that the baby cannot perch yet but didn't understand why they weren't eating out of the plate. I also found out that they will not poop where they are but will walk backward and poop off of the cage onto the carpet. The baby loves to play with a certain toy and I am hoping that someone recognizes it so i can get more of them (I think that it came from an AA vendor). I also realized that the baby wasn't drinking water, so I made this morning's formula a little less thick. I left to go to a neighbor's house to go to dinner and I filled up 2 containers for condiments (I use them for beads) with food and water and guess what? She ate and drank. Then wanted to dump them. The joys of babyhood.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
It seems like every bird is different. i gave them hand feeding formula in the morning because they didn't seem to eat anything except millet. I had seed, pellets, oven bites, and veggies out in a dish and in a plate on top of their cage. I realized that the baby cannot perch yet but didn't understand why they weren't eating out of the plate. I also found out that they will not poop where they are but will walk backward and poop off of the cage onto the carpet. The baby loves to play with a certain toy and I am hoping that someone recognizes it so i can get more of them (I think that it came from an AA vendor). I also realized that the baby wasn't drinking water, so I made this morning's formula a little less thick. I left to go to a neighbor's house to go to dinner and I filled up 2 containers for condiments (I use them for beads) with food and water and guess what? She ate and drank. Then wanted to dump them. The joys of babyhood.

Oh so cute! My best smile of the day! I have a ceramic dish with a low wall that is actually sold as the separate bottom for a small plant pot. Perfect for the fold down door on Astro's cage to keep her and Rocket from pushing it off the edge or dumping. The food is more inviting than a higher walled cup or dish.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea

Princessbella

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Oh so cute! My best smile of the day! I have a ceramic dish with a low wall that is actually sold as the separate bottom for a small plant pot. Perfect for the fold down door on Astro's cage to keep her and Rocket from pushing it off the edge or dumping. The food is more inviting than a higher walled cup or dish.
That was the type of dish that I used but I think my mistake was putting the millet in it. They wanted to eat the millet but nothing else. But now they had their last hand feeding of the night and is snuggling against my cheek and just made a big poop on my chest while begging for scritches.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
That was the type of dish that I used but I think my mistake was putting the millet in it. They wanted to eat the millet but nothing else. But now they had their last hand feeding of the night and is snuggling against my cheek and just made a big poop on my chest while begging for scritches.
Looks like you're going to need a bib to wear! Try some soaked pellets and a bit of cooked sweet potato for the baby. If you like pearled barley you might cook some of that up too. I try to find the barley that takes longer to cook than the instant barley. Cybele's is a nice pasta made with vegetables only... can be chopped into bits as well as some quinoa. I can't remember the last time I bought millet... too dang messy!

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Thank you for the information. I need to try that!
I've only bought the beet pasta ( red in color before you cook it... brown when cooked) - it has an earthy flavor. The red lentil, pumpkin, butternut pasta is bland to my taste but they don't mind it. I don't remember if I've bought the green lentil, cauliflower, parsnip pasta. I have found pasta made with only one ingredient - chick pea. Chick pea pasta as well as the others cook up fairly quickly and the water will get a little thick so I do give these pastas a light rinse then drain before I bag them and freeze them. Don't bother ever trying the black bean pasta if you ever find it... super gross looking and tasted nasty to me. I'd rather eat a can of black beans than eat those again. The color of the black bean would've been off putting to my birds. I do really like cooked beets both red and golden without anything on them. You can steam them for a nice texture. Baked, beets get a little mushy. I tried that once with basting them with coconut oil and wrapping in tin foil to bake... Meh. Do note though... if you give your little sweet pea some red beets the poop will come out a very magenta color!

mak

Rollerblading along the road
:heart::heart::heart::heart::heart::heart: CUTE!

Princessbella

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
I've only bought the beet pasta ( red in color before you cook it... brown when cooked) - it has an earthy flavor. The red lentil, pumpkin, butternut pasta is bland to my taste but they don't mind it. I don't remember if I've bought the green lentil, cauliflower, parsnip pasta. I have found pasta made with only one ingredient - chick pea. Chick pea pasta as well as the others cook up fairly quickly and the water will get a little thick so I do give these pastas a light rinse then drain before I bag them and freeze them. Don't bother ever trying the black bean pasta if you ever find it... super gross looking and tasted nasty to me. I'd rather eat a can of black beans than eat those again. The color of the black bean would've been off putting to my birds. I do really like cooked beets both red and golden without anything on them. You can steam them for a nice texture. Baked, beets get a little mushy. I tried that once with basting them with coconut oil and wrapping in tin foil to bake... Meh. Do note though... if you give your little sweet pea some red beets the poop will come out a very magenta color!
Buddy, my first bird would eat everything and she had the most colorful poops so thanks for the warning. I think we are going to try sweet potato and carrots today.