• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Curious.. cockatiel/docile parrots and guinea pigs

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Just out of curiousity, is it ok to have a cockatiel and 2 guinea pigs in the same room ? If so, are they allowed to interact with each other at all while supervised?
I never thought it would be a good idea, but maybe I am wrong after reading this article, which says you can even keep them in the same enclosure with a lot of room, lol.. :
Birds and Guinea Pigs.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Bob used to have guinea pigs but I can´t remember if the tiels were allowed near. Michelle might know @sunnysmom

I would just worry over one animal pestering the other. As well as poops getting eaten/played with/traipsed through.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I have heard people keeping Guinea pigs and rabbits in the same aviary as birds but no personal experience. I have had bunnies in the same space as birds though. For I think 1,5 year total in the same space as cage free birds and now they still share a space but only supervised. they never once looked at each other and the nature of the rabbits(veeeery laid back and definitely would not attack in case a bird got curious and visited) made me feel sure nothing would happen. I have known more spirited rabbits though with whom I would worry in the presence of my birds, because what they did do was steal the rabbit’s hay and burrow in it haha. In such a case some female rabbits I know could get protective over their hay, but I am not sure about Guinea pigs, my experience with them has been limited.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Bob used to have guinea pigs but I can´t remember if the tiels were allowed near. Michelle might know @sunnysmom

I would just worry over one animal pestering the other. As well as poops getting eaten/played with/traipsed through.
At various points in time, the tiels and guinea pigs were in the same room on opposite sides of the room but I don't think Bob ever let them interact. I don't think the tiels actually had any interest in them.