• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

CT Scan for Sarge (Miligold)

Cara

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara MacKay
Hope you get some answers.

toos&macaws

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Depending on the density of a foreign object and it's location, it may or may not show up on an xray. This is especially true if there is swollen tissue. Have they put him to sleep and done a thorough probing exam? Is there a nasal discharge? Does he scratch excessively?

Like my vet says - "Every case with a bird is a research project."

I just noticed that you have two cockatoos. Are you aware that macaws are very sensitive to cockatoo dander and will develop a disease called "Pulmonary Hypersensitivity Syndrone" over time? http://www.thebirdclinic.com/uploadedfiles/pulhyper2009.pdf . There is no cure, but a macaw's life can be extended and their quality of life can be improved.

That is why we are doing the CT scan so they can see that deposit better and determine exactly what it is. There is a nasal discharge on occasion. He doesn't scratch excessively. Your vet is very right!! We are very aware of the dander that is not healthy to the macaws. That is why the toos are in a different level of the house with their own ventilation system separate from the macaws. We did this years ago when we were rescuing parrots for a local rescue organization. Thanks for the info though. I know I can always count on some help from this forum. :D

KimKim

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Good luck, I hope everything turns out ok.

petiteoiseau

Real Name
Bibi
Good luck and please let us know what they find so we can use it for future reference.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
hope all goes well and you get some solid answers :hug8:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Good luck to you and Sarge.

Newbie GCC

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Heather
How is Sarge?

toos&macaws

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Well so yesterday I finally get a call from the vet saying he has the image results from the CT scan for Sarge. So I had to take a half day off from toys and go visit with the vet. Can I just say "WOW" on the sinus cavities for parrots. I knew they were larger than humans, but to have an upper and a lower is just crazy. And it goes all thru their heads!! :jawdrop1: One thing we did determine is that he has very poor density in his bones, especially in his back. We think that is why he is flat footed, because it is causing him so much pain. He also has always walked a bit hunched over, rather than more upright, especially when he has tried to chase me on the floor. He more than not walks with his beak on the floor or carpet making grooves as he goes. So we can work on that. We really don't know much of a history with him as we adopted him 10 years ago. Poor diet I am sure over the years and he is quite a picky eater. They want me to almost eliminate all nuts and get him on a more cooked spelt, oat groats, wheatberry, barley and lots of veggies and berries. Oh great just what he will not eat is berries. At least he loves his natural Pellets, as long as they are dripping wet out of the water bowl.

Anyway they have found a foreign object (growth or something) that is inside his beak which will affect his lower nasal cavity. This is all new to me and I hope I am not being confusing, because the look on my face the vet said was puzzling. o_O Like that!! Anyway he has probably had that for the last 5 years ever since he has had a runny nose. It just could not been seen with a scope or x-rays. So it is a good thing we paid for the CT scan. And that is most likely what is causing the swelling of his red brow (nares) which now has no feathers at all. :wideyed:

So the procedure they do it where they will drill hole in his beak like using a hole saw and pull that part of the beak out so they can then go in and scrape whatever is in there and then test it to see what exactly it is. Then they use the part of the beak they drilled out to plug it up and seal it. It will probably take up to a year for it to complete grow out and heal. This will not be fun for us at all especially my husband since he loves that little guy so much. :xflove: He is the only parrot we have taken in that hasn't tried to be dominant over him. He has loved my husband from day one. I still have a picture of them together snuggling in a blanket as he was protecting my hubby from me :p . But this is what we do for our feathered friends, whatever it takes to keep them happy and alive!! :xflove:

So they called today to schedule the surgery for next Tuesday. I will post after it is all done and let you know what was found. I asked my vet if he has ever done this before (because I am a bit scared of having him drill into my guys beak :confused: ) and he said he has not only performed this procedure several time, but he goes all over the US teaching this to other avian vets in conferences. So I feel a lot better knowing we must have the best to take care of our little guy. :D I will have to see if I can get any of the images from the vet. Those CT scans really are amazing!!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Hooray for your vet and hooray for Sarge. It is a huge step forward finding out what the problem is.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
oh wow but cause found! Hugs and prayers for all of you/ :hug8: :hug8:

Yoshi&Reza

Real Name
Alyssa
That is a lot to take in! I am so glad everyone is on the right path in finding out what is going on though. I will be praying for good test results/findings.

:hug8:Hugs to you, your husband, and Sarge!

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
quite the ordeal Sarge is going through, I am glad you have a wonderful vet and are getting some answers. It would be really interesting to see the CT scan pics too

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I will keep him in my thoughts and hope that his surgery is successful.

Matt

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sending positive energy, strength and healing thoughts your way that the surgery goes smooth and Sarge heals quickly.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wishing the best for Sarge and sending positive thoughts to you and him. Hoping his surgery is successful!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm also wishing the best for Sarge. :hug8:

Shyra

Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so glad you finally found some answers and that you have a vet that knows what he is doing. Will keep positive thoughts going for him.

Can I ask why the nuts need to be alleviated from his diet and if you will be able to strengthen his bones? Will the extra grains in his diet do this? Mine won't eat berries either so I get your frustration there.