• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Crusty Cere

rebecca252

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Rebecca Tiplady
Hi! This is my 3 month old budgie Percy, and his cere is appearing crusty. I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to what this may be? He is acting completely normal, eating and drinking as much as usual. When we originally let him out to fly for the first time, a few weeks back, he crashed into a wall, and just above his beak bled a tiny bit. Could this be residue from that? Any help is appreciated thank you!!!

Attachments

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
A first look I will say it could be a start of scaly face mites.

Signs of an infestation are displayed around the beak, mouth and eye areas (it can also affect the legs, toes vent and...
There is no itching with the infestation with budgies, although other bird species may have itching symptoms
Crustiness begins at the corners of the beak and looks similar to a honeycombed appearance

There is a medication for this but I suggest a vet look at this first because you want to be sure it is mites. If it is and left unattended they can possibly travel to the lungs and you don't want that. So a vet trip with this bird is best.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
To be honest it looks like baby food or something on there. Will it clean off with a wet q-tip?

Reactions: Ali

BirdWorld

Rollerblading along the road
I don’t think so, my budgie bumped into a wall once and something similar happened, but it didn’t look like that. 324ED3FE-31D0-4933-8F4A-B06C66576FA1.png

Reactions: Ali