• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Crop not emptying

ScreamBuddies

Walking the driveway
You're saying "in the cage"... did you mean the shoe box? If the heating pad is set on max heat the bottom of what ever the baby is on may be too hot. The air temperature may be right but place your hand on the area where the baby is sitting and feel to see if it's very hot. I know I would not be able to sit on a heating pad on max heat. How is the baby acting? What do you mean "without any isolation"?

What is the crop like? Have you fed the baby?
Oh yes, i meant the box. I was still half sleeping when writing

The bottom is what i can only describe as pleasantly warm. Definitely not hot

The baby is currently screeching at everything and everyone. His hearing and vision is getting very good

The "isolation" is the cloth you suggested around the box. Im looking for something right for that role however, the box seems a little too...empty to keep in warmth? Im not sure how to describe it. The temp is right but im still going to make sure its all right for him

I fed the baby some watery formula as my vet suggested and i see his crop starting to speed up. Its already smaller than an hour ago when i fed him :)

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
That sounds good.

You should keep the thermometer there to measure the temperature. With the set up you have if the air outside warms up so will the air in the box. If the air outside gets colder so will the air in the box.

If the babies crop is back to normal or even nearly back to normal then you should start going back to normal formula. They need the full nutrition to grow. So if the crop empties normally this time try more normal formula and see if things stay normal. If it is very slow you will have to go back to watered down formula.

You will have to monitor and try to get him back to normal as soon as possible because if he has to stay on watered down formula too long you will have problems with malnourishment.

It is VERY IMPORTANT to make sure his box is the right temperature and humidity or he will most likely get slow crop again.

ScreamBuddies

Walking the driveway
That sounds good.

You should keep the thermometer there to measure the temperature. With the set up you have if the air outside warms up so will the air in the box. If the air outside gets colder so will the air in the box.

If the babies crop is back to normal or even nearly back to normal then you should start going back to normal formula. They need the full nutrition to grow. So if the crop empties normally this time try more normal formula and see if things stay normal. If it is very slow you will have to go back to watered down formula.

You will have to monitor and try to get him back to normal as soon as possible because if he has to stay on watered down formula too long you will have problems with malnourishment.

It is VERY IMPORTANT to make sure his box is the right temperature and humidity or he will most likely get slow crop again.
Ive been giving him less and less water with his formula now and his crop is speeding up. However, today i noticed that a hard lump forms on the inside. I warm up some water to 35° and give him a few drops then massage it and it breaks up and the crop turns normal, so i feed him normally after

Im just wondering, could it be dangerous? Is it a problem, or just the lump you mentioned before? His crop fully empied this morning by the way

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
You might be getting too much on the dry side now. How thick is the formula, is it like pudding or...?

ScreamBuddies

Walking the driveway
You might be getting too much on the dry side now. How thick is the formula, is it like pudding or...?
Its still watery. Imagine tilting the glass its in

What i fed before was moving slowly, but now its behaving like water. We dont have pudding here so i have no clue what its like :( im still a little worried about feeding dryer formula

Well, the little man is growing, his crest feathers and primaries are breaking out of the pin feather "shells" and you can see little feathery bits :)

ScreamBuddies

Walking the driveway
Sorry for bothering you again, @Laurie , but your knowledge is a goldmine :) hes growing strong and his wings are fully feathered and his orange cheeks just started appearing. However, his poop started turning light brown. What does this mean? Its always been green. I havent changed anything in his diet.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
It's good to hear he is still growing well. The change in color is a little unusual but still a healthy color. By itself it is probably not a cause for concern but you should keep an eye out for any other changes.

ScreamBuddies

Walking the driveway
It's good to hear he is still growing well. The change in color is a little unusual but still a healthy color. By itself it is probably not a cause for concern but you should keep an eye out for any other changes.
I just came back to this. Its a bit lighter in color and more watery. Theres been no chances in behaviour and hes still very energetic and loud

Attachments

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
I think that is still in the normal range but anytime something is not normal for a particular bird it calls for extra vigilance. I really can't provide much more insight from her but if you are concerned you can certainly consult with a vet.

He looks like he has lots of feathers coming in.

ScreamBuddies

Walking the driveway
I think that is still in the normal range but anytime something is not normal for a particular bird it calls for extra vigilance. I really can't provide much more insight from her but if you are concerned you can certainly consult with a vet.

He looks like he has lots of feathers coming in.
Yep, when i pet him hes really fluffy and soft. He really looks like a bird now :) you can make out that hes pied!

Attachments