• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cover Cage (or parts of Cage) at Night?

Ozarkarts

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brittany
I was wondering what the consensus is on covering the cage at night? When I had a cockatiel, the vet told me not to cover the cage and leave a small light on so that the bird could see things inside her cage at night - this would stop night frights - and it did. Can caiques see well in the dark or is it wise to leave a small light on to illuminate the inside of their cage at night?

In my case, I have tried fully covering, not covering and partially covering the cage (where the birds sleep) at night. I always leave a small light on the floor so they can see the inside of their cage at night. At this point, I am still not sure what is best for my two caiques…

Do you cover the cage, partially cover the cage or use a night light? Do you think caiques like to have something above their heads and around them when they sleep, or do they prefer nothing at all?

Thanks,

Brittany

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I cover some of my birds' cages but only partially. Only leave a light on at low setting for my 'tiels. However I don't have Caiques so I will tag some people who do:
@saroj12
@Laurie
@Irishj9

Irishj9

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
In the wild, caiques sleep in groups, packed into tight holes and crevices, high up in the trees.

Do you imagins they can see any light?. Me neither. Mins sleep in nestboxes in the avairy, or in the spare room, covered and undistuebed.

Theyre not human. They need 12 hours undisturbed quiet

Last edited:

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I cover my 'too because otherwise she won't get enough sleep - she sufferers from FOMO (fear of missing out) :rolleyes: I leave the tiel and the budgie uncovered because they both stop talking as soon as the sun goes down. I cover the conures because they start screaming with the dawn if I don't.