• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Counting my Blessings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Long story short.

Opa got outside yesterday. I walked into the bird room and Opa was outside on the neighbors fence(about 25ft away)! He looked bewildered and a bit be confused but he perked right up when he saw me! I kept my fear to myself and remained calm, and smiled and said "WHAT are you doing Nana, COME here!" and I wave to him to come over (this all occurred in a split second after I went into the bird room) and Opa flies into the window and hangs onto the window sill outside, and I reach my hand through the crack(I would've opened it all the way but fear that may of spooked him) and get him inside.

I am SO GLAD Opa is recall trained. Every time I take the fids outside, we do recall training, and we walk around the house as I show them the fences and the cars and the windows, etc, getting them accustomed to what everything looks like outdoors.

And as a nice side now, IT WAS A BEAUTIFUL DAY ALL DAY YESTERDAY!

Cory

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cory
Long story short.

Opa got outside yesterday. I walked into the bird room and Opa was outside on the neighbors fence(about 25ft away)! He looked bewildered and a bit be confused but he perked right up when he saw me! I kept my fear to myself and remained calm, and smiled and said "WHAT are you doing Nana, COME here!" and I wave to him to come over (this all occurred in a split second after I went into the bird room) and Opa flies into the window and hangs onto the window sill outside, and I reach my hand through the crack(I would've opened it all the way but fear that may of spooked him) and get him inside.

I am SO GLAD Opa is recall trained. Every time I take the fids outside, we do recall training, and we walk around the house as I show them the fences and the cars and the windows, etc, getting them accustomed to what everything looks like outdoors.

:omg: :faint:

How did he get outside???

I do flight training will all of the birds that I have that can fly for the same reason (and for enrichment and physical health)! I also make sure that they know how to fly downwards in case the end up in a tree and need to lose altitude to get to me. :)

pga7602

Jogging around the block
Long story short.

FREESTYLE??!!!!!! :omg: WOOOOO

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Well it was accidental.. and he had just gotten outside not only 30seconds before.

All the fids were inside their cages, as I was cleaning the bird room yesterday morning. It got a bit dusty as I started up the Shop Vac (it needed to be changed) so I cracked the window (the screen fell out a couple weeks ago and I haven't gotten around to putting it back up...) and cleaned the room, and started to change water... Opa Mr. Escapeeeeee got out of the cage (he opened the water dish door as it was empty of water). Which is where I come in, with a dish of water and Opa on the neighbors fence.

I'm outdoors a lot, and each time I do recall with my birds, their skill always improves. Opa is without a doubt a great flyer.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
OMG soooo glad you got Opa back...and glad you remained calm. How hard that must have been!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
:omg: thank god you got him back ok..as for freestyle..no comment.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
OMG soooo glad you got Opa back...and glad you remained calm. How hard that must have been!

It was a shock, but not too hard. They (whoever "they" are) say that it'll happen to everyone sooner or later. So being prepared helped. :)

I would rather have him get outside when Im actually with him though... even a flight bird, who has been recall trained and trained for it, can become confused and bewildered without their trainer around.

Terri

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Terri
Ok...question regarding recall training...do you give them treats to come to you? What do you give cockatoos as a super duper treat for doing special things or is it kinda bird specific?

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Ok...question regarding recall training...do you give them treats to come to you? What do you give cockatoos as a super duper treat for doing special things or is it kinda bird specific?
My 'toos get "caught up in the moment" and dont see the treats we offer them:rolleyes: they go by behavior. If we act excited to have them fly to us, and a smile on our face, and many hugs to give them, they wanna come to us. But we always carry sunflower and safflower seed on us, and after they get their 10 second snuggle, they get a seed, so we are double reinforcing them :)

HOWEVER my scarlet macaw, Gra, she loves hugs AND treats (PINE NUTS were her favorite). She was my first recall trained bird:heart:

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
i try recall in the apt some times it works other times no but when it works treats are out he dosent like taking things from you would rather steal them..lol but like you love affection words that say oh your such a good boy i love you soo much when you do as i ask i make a big deal out of it . as for out side no place safe to try it mind you hes not ready for it either , and either am i

Chicklette

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Courtney
Wow, I am so glad you got him back. I bet your heart was thumping. I would have been petrified, Im glad you remained calm, they can sense fear.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I don't think I could have stayed calm:eek: I am so glad you got him back..whew, that would have been scary!

Status
Not open for further replies.