• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Cooking and respiratory problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

emeraldtoucan

Strolling the yard
I've made a point of staying away from teflon, and cookware that uses similar substances. However there's been a lot more cooking in my home this week, and I noticed not only during the process have my lungs been badly affected (I'm coughing like crazy), but one of my cockatiels is breathing rather heavy now. I ran a fan that is supposed to suck air up into the vent (two of these actually) and I run an air purifier. But I'm worried now all this was not enough. I'm placing the bird in a room farther away from the kitchen now, but am a bit worried. I'm not sure exactly what set me, and my poor 'tiel off. I'm thinking maybe some of the spices, but just not quite sure.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Can you run him to the vet's? You haven't been using anything similar to a throw away turkey pan, have you? Did anyone use a product to clean the oven, and possibly it was not rinsed correctly? Did anything like pepper get scorched or burned? Have you aired out the house? Do you live in a house,or apartment where others might affect you? Sending positive energy to you. I hope you can get an answer and it's nothing serious.:hug8:

emeraldtoucan

Strolling the yard
They (the vet) would be closed by now anyways, but especially if I see no improvement I will call them tomorrow to at least see what they say, and if there's really anything they can do in this kind of situation (I'm actually not sure). I've gone through my emergency funds for other things, so that is making this kind of tough (during the last few months way too many things have gone wrong all at once, it's been much tougher than usual). Typically anything like this and I'm off to the vet with the bird as soon as possible, of course I might have to anyways, but it really does seem like this is one of those "when it rains it pours" times.

I didn't use anything like a throw away turkey pan, no new cleaners, and I'm always super careful about which ones I use because I'm aware they can cause serious health issues for birds (and for me). But we have been using a lot of very hot spices in our food, so I'm thinking maybe that could be a culprit, it gave me an asthma attack whatever it was.

I have been airing out the house too, so I'm hoping that helps, but seems like maybe damage has been done to both my bird and to me at this point, though of course it's worse for the poor bird.

She has been eating and drinking normally, and everything else seems normal thankfully, but the heavier than typical breathing alone definitely is making me concerned. I shall be keeping a close eye on her and keeping her nice and warm (without going over board of course).

Last edited:

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's good that you're airing out the house. I hope your cockatiel is feeling better soon.

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
Sounds like you have done what you can do to air out the house and move him further away. If you have an open air vent system in your house then if there is anything in the atmosphere and he is still in the house then there may still be an issue. What is in one air vent is throughout the house. But it sounds like your bird is better so that is good.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
With my asthma, any kind of smoke or sharp smelling herbs can trigger my asthma; usually just a 'catch' in my chest which feels like a muscle spasm in my bronchial tubes. Usually I just use my rescue inhaler with albuterol and I am OK. Of course if the smoke hangs around, I can get triggered again, but I have a stove ventilator over my stove so I can remove any smoke or sharp odors if they bother me. Removing myself to an uncontaminated area where the air is clear and especially damper and colder also helps with minor attacks. I have actually at very bad times opened the freezer and put my head inside to breathe in the damp cold air at times.

Hope you and your tiels are feeling better.

emeraldtoucan

Strolling the yard
Unfortunately things are worse than I even thought. For a little while she seemed to get better, and then took a turn for the worse. It looks like the cooking only irritated an existing condition. I ended up taking her to the vet, and she's staying over night. No guarantee she'll pull through. I feel pretty bad for my poor little 'tiel. There's some possibility she's got an infection, so if she does I hope to find out about it quick in case any of the other 'tiels could also have ended up catching it. However there's signs of other problems, including an odd one: she has stopped producing feather powder (which I would not have caught, but the vet examined her feathers thoroughly).

Laurul fortunately my stove has a ventilator right over it too, which does help, though only so much. But yeah, for me too strong herbs can provoke asthma, though more lately than is normal.

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I send you positive healing energy, for your tiel and for you:hug8:

Maxsmom

Avenue Veteran
So sorry. Glad she is at vet. Adding positive energy that she will pull through

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sending positive healing energy your way. I hope she starts feeling better very soon.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
:hug8:

Mystics Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tanya
thinking of you both this morning and hoping for the best:hug8:

roxynoodle

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I Can't Stop Posting!
Real Name
Audrey
Sending best wishes she is ok.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Dear God,

Please surround this little one with your healing energy. Let the doctors and techs be skilled, insightful and compassionate. Let the medicine they are giving her be the right one and let her have a speedy and complete recovery with no complications or set backs.

Ginger

Attachments

emeraldtoucan

Strolling the yard
Thank you all for the well wishes. I heard from the vet today, and he said so far she has been doing better, but that doesn't mean she's out of the woods yet, that's for sure.

Garnet

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marilynn
Sending good thoughts and wishes your way. I know it is awful to have a bird sick and you feel so helpless. Glad she is receiving vet care and getting better. Tiels are tough little birds.

AmberMuffinz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Sending lots of good thoughts and wishes. I hope she recovers soon :hug8:

cute_lil_fiend

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Sometimes cooking and burning spices can be a respiratory irritant. Once I was microwaving a bean and pepper mix for my fid, and accidentally microwaved for too long. Me and our dog ended up coughing up a lung for the next 20 mins. Thankfully the bird was in another room and wasn't affected.

Hopefully any effects will be only temporary for your tiel.

Status
Not open for further replies.