• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

cooking a turkey

Dwetherington

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
good morning, I keep hearing different things ! im scared to even do a turkey ! no foil! no bag! looking for input please. how do you cook a turkey ? thank you

Donna turner

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Donna
I cook turkeys in a Reynolds cooking bag. Never had a problem. I also cook other things in these bags fairly often

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I place mine in a roasting pan with bacon on the breast, cover with tin foil, then that last hour, remove the foil to brown the top. Please dont use cooking bags, some haven't had problems, but IMO,,,its not worth the risk.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
I place mine in a roasting pan with bacon on the breast, cover with tin foil, then that last hour, remove the foil to brown the top. Please dont use cooking bags, some haven't had problems, but IMO,,,its not worth the risk.
Ooh, bacon on top sounds delightful.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I also thought those disposable roasting trays were on the list of things unsafe to use, I remember reading about a problem with someones bird dying while cooking in them but I can not remember where I read it (maybe here somewhere?)

Does anyone know for sure if this is another item to avoid if you have birds in the house?

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Bump

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I also thought those disposable roasting trays were on the list of things unsafe to use, I remember reading about a problem with someones bird dying while cooking in them but I can not remember where I read it (maybe here somewhere?)

Does anyone know for sure if this is another item to avoid if you have birds in the house?
Hmmm, I don't use these but I thought these were made just from Aluminium. Let me know if you trip over it again.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Hmmm, I don't use these but I thought these were made just from Aluminium. Let me know if you trip over it again.
Ohhh there’s another thread going at the moment where Mizzely clears that up. I believe the ones used that caused a problem were made from non stick tin foil (which I did not even know was a thing lol)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Ohhh there’s another thread going at the moment where Mizzely clears that up. I believe the ones used that caused a problem were made from non stick tin foil (which I did not even know was a thing lol)
Yes as long as it not "non stick" then it is safe :) They are usually pretty excited to announce it :lol:

1575037832427.png

1575037891678.png