• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

CONURE Crashed into glass door.

JosienBB

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My GCC Josie crashed into a glass door about ten minutes ago. I immediately called the Vet, only for them to tell me they'll be closed before I can get there (due to rush hour) and they can't keep the door open for even a second longer even if I pay quadruple the amount of money. They referred me to the emergency vet, but they have no avian doctors there so there isn't much they can do. They offered to book the earliest possible appointment tomorrow, do you think I can wait until then???

The first ten minutes after her crash I thought for sure she was done for. She couldn't perch, fell off onto the ground, her eyes were closed, fluffed up, wing twitching. Meanwhile I was making frantic calls to the vet and begging them to stay open a tiny bit longer for me, to no avail. But now, she seems a bit improved. She had a short nap in my dad's arms, then hopped back onto her playstand. Her wings aren't droopy anymore, she's flying again everywhere again, and eating. Her movements still aren't as sharp as they usually are (she's normally VERY active and NEVER stops), a bit sluggish, but apart from that she seems fine. She's not BITING me though (her normal behaviour), and that worries me. She's also very well behaved right now, which is also out of the ordinary. If I wait until tomorrow morning, will I lose her during the night????

Please advise! Frantic bird momma here. If I lose her I'm certain I will die.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Please don't let her fly. Keep her quiet and awake, she may have a concussion.

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Should I keep her awake throughout the night then, until her vet appointment?

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Okay, she's biting me again. Never been so glad to be bitten before. Being nosy again. Playing with her toys. Throwing stuff onto the ground. Contact calling. Saying "Josie." Please keep her in your thoughts.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
:hug8::hug8::hug8:

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think she will be okay. She's about 90% back to her usual self. Scared me half to death!! I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow either way, in case she has a concussion. She's almost due for her checkup anyways (well, not really, but oh well).

Sorry about my freak out. I realize I sounded a bit neurotic. I have an anxiety disorder and tend to react very badly to things.

Thank you everyone!

AmberMuffinz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Just make sure not to add any extra heat with a head injury! I hope the checkup doesn't reveal anything serious and that she's okay. How scary. :hug8::hug8:

Cyreen

Rollerblading along the road
Are you kidding, I think you were very, very entitled to freak out! I think I'd be looking for a new vet. To KNOW there was an emergency situation and decline service to an injured animal... shame on them.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
:hug8:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If it's head trauma or a concussion there isn't really much they can do except observe her for 24 hours which you can do just as well. Probably better because you know your bird, they don't. With head trauma things may look fine but there is a 24 hour window where things can still take a turn for the worse.

Please cover that glass door with some kind of "visual" barrier to lessen the chance of this happening again.

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Are you kidding, I think you were very, very entitled to freak out! I think I'd be looking for a new vet. To KNOW there was an emergency situation and decline service to an injured animal... shame on them.
I was really angry when they said that too, but it seems most vets are like this. I even broke down crying and said, "I don't want to lose her." The receptionist replied, "I know, I'm sorry. But we can't." Can't or won't? But I don't really know how things work there, so I shouldn't be too quick to judge. Does anyone have a good vet recommendation in the GTA area?

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Okay, she's biting me again. Never been so glad to be bitten before. Being nosy again. Playing with her toys. Throwing stuff onto the ground. Contact calling. Saying "Josie." Please keep her in your thoughts.
Shes in my thoughts. Please keep us updated.:heart:

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
I think she will be okay. She's about 90% back to her usual self. Scared me half to death!! I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow either way, in case she has a concussion. She's almost due for her checkup anyways (well, not really, but oh well).

Sorry about my freak out. I realize I sounded a bit neurotic. I have an anxiety disorder and tend to react very badly to things.

Thank you everyone!
You had every right to respond that way. I'd also be looking for a new vet.

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If it's head trauma or a concussion there isn't really much they can do except observe her for 24 hours which you can do just as well. Probably better because you know your bird, they don't. With head trauma things may look fine but there is a 24 hour window where things can still take a turn for the worse.

Please cover that glass door with some kind of "visual" barrier to lessen the chance of this happening again.
Thank you John. I'm taking her in at 12:30 tomorrow. The accident happened at 6:00pm today. Should I reschedule the appointment for later?

My glass door is always covered. This happened at a friend's house, where I will not be taking her anymore. Live and learn I guess. I hope Josie won't have to pay the price though for my stupidity.

Oh! I was advised not to let the vet do an x-ray because those are useless for concussions and put too much radiation into a small bird. Is this true? Plus, are there usually medications the vet will prescribe for concussion? I'm a total newbie at this, never had an accident before :(

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
If it's bad, anti-inflammatory meds would be required, and the first 48 or so hours may be critical. Speak to the vet about it once you get there!

Hope your baby is just fine!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
:hug8:many prayers and positive thoughts on the way. please keep us posted

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Back from the vet! Josie's going to be fine. No concussion! He did advise she keep it easy for the next couple of days (hard to do, she's so active!). She got her nails trimmed as well since we were there, and she put up a fight! The vet said, "Whoa! She's strong! I think she's fine." :D That's my girl!

:dance4::dance4::dance4::dance4:

Piccha

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
What part of ontario are you located? I have a few recomendations if you are GTA area.

JosienBB

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm in the GTA. :)