• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure and small children - How to keep the birds safe?

Cheekybirb

Sitting on the front steps
Hello, I hope this is the best forum for these questions! Please let me know if there is a different one I should put this on.

We might be having some friends come and stop with us for a while and they would be bringing their children with them. They get along great when we visit with our conure but it might be different living with each other.

I just wanted to check how other people keep their birds safe around children. We're particularly worried about them closing/slamming doors as it's not something they've really had to think about and our bird tends to perch on top of doors and poke her head through! Also, things such as opening doors & windows if anyone has any latches they could recommend. Our bird is out at any point we're home which is most of the day and she doesn't like to be in her cage so I would appreciate any training tips on how to help her think of it as her safe space as well, please. She has plenty of high perches on the windows to go to if she needs to feel safe as well.

I don't know if anyone has bought or made any door safety features that could prevent anyone from closing the door abruptly or something that stops the birds from landing on doors in the first place? Looking for any help or suggestions! Thank you!

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Honestly, I would keep her in a cage while they're over. If the kids want to say hi to her, it can be done in a controlled manner in a room with closed doors and inside voices. As much as kids try to be calm, and remember what spooks her, they're kids, energetic and loud, which will likely forget things and accidentaly spook her.

Cheekybirb

Hiya, thank you for your reply! It will be a visit for a couple of weeks so this won't be an option I'm afraid.

Cheekybirb

We will be able to prop the main doors inside the house open. It's just things like the bathroom door that will need to be opened and closed several times a day for example that is more of a concern.

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I use clear shower curtains with spring loaded rods in doorways .

Sine people have gotten cheap screen doors to add to interior.

Post signs by all doors. To remind to check for parrot. I do this myself and I live alone! Just to keep myself from being absent minded

I think I'd move the bird to a bedroom, sbd have a lock on that door while kids around. It's a lot of risk , and so easy to make mistakes when you aren't used to living with birds.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
If the children are young or undisciplined, and your bird has complete freedom, you're inviting an accident.
Your bird will not be harmed for a short time of curtailed freedom.
I'd have a room or two where the bird is allowed out, and the children only allowed in with adult supervision.
I'd install a latch/lock on that door.
Children just will not learn the safety rules with your birds in that short time.
Even your adult visitors will forget, no matter how hard they try to remember.
Holding doors open while they come inside, would be my main concern.
Even after 25 years, I still have to remind my kids (in their 30's) there's birds out, close the door!

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Hiya, thank you for your reply! It will be a visit for a couple of weeks so this won't be an option I'm afraid.
ah, i thought it was only for a day or so ;) .

Maybe set the ground rules with them for your birdie, when people (even adults) come around my my house, I have some simple ground rules to keep my pets and them safe, such as...don't slam doors, don't yell, don't chase the animals, don't open outside doors without making sure they're in cage/in a room, or not feeding the animals without asking me.
Depending on how old they are, they should be able to remember them,. You could ask them if they want to help you make it, or if they want it written down (helps them engage and remember especially if under 10). Hoping all goes well :)

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I would consider padlocking bird cage doors. My Quaker, Lucy had a bad leg and was unable to fly thanks to a small child “playing with” her. My latest foster tiel was killed by a little girl opening his cage door so he could “meet” the dog.

I am ok with kids coming up and saying hi to my birds but I don’t trust them around the cage. Kids can accidentally hurt birds, and bigger birds can hurt kids.

I would make a rule that they may not touch the birds cages. That you will bring the parrot out to say hi (if you want to) but nobody touches the cage. At least for the small children.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When my younger grandchildren are here the birds are always caged

Cheekybirb

I use clear shower curtains with spring loaded rods in doorways .

Sine people have gotten cheap screen doors to add to interior.

Post signs by all doors. To remind to check for parrot. I do this myself and I live alone! Just to keep myself from being absent minded

I think I'd move the bird to a bedroom, sbd have a lock on that door while kids around. It's a lot of risk , and so easy to make mistakes when you aren't used to living with birds.
Hiya thank you for your reply! I will look at some screen doors, I think if it can stop her trying to follow people through that would really help! She's just far too curious for her own good! I do put signs up when we visit other people's houses so I think keeping them as permanent additions on our doors would be a good idea for any guests and us as you say!

We can't really move the room she's in, it's the only one with enough room for her massive cage but we do have an office she likes to be with us in so we can close that door if she needs some space from the kids while still being out of her cage.

Thank you again!

Cheekybirb

If the children are young or undisciplined, and your bird has complete freedom, you're inviting an accident.
Your bird will not be harmed for a short time of curtailed freedom.
I'd have a room or two where the bird is allowed out, and the children only allowed in with adult supervision.
I'd install a latch/lock on that door.
Children just will not learn the safety rules with your birds in that short time.
Even your adult visitors will forget, no matter how hard they try to remember.
Holding doors open while they come inside, would be my main concern.
Even after 25 years, I still have to remind my kids (in their 30's) there's birds out, close the door!
Hiya, thank you for your reply! They are very well-behaved but I was just wondering what people who live with children do all the time to ensure bird safety. But yes I get as it's only for a short time it will be harder for them to learn the rules but the kids and bird would always be supervised!

I think I might get extra latches for her cage so when she is away she stays there and is secure!

Thank you! :)

Cheekybirb

ah, i thought it was only for a day or so ;) .

Maybe set the ground rules with them for your birdie, when people (even adults) come around my my house, I have some simple ground rules to keep my pets and them safe, such as...don't slam doors, don't yell, don't chase the animals, don't open outside doors without making sure they're in cage/in a room, or not feeding the animals without asking me.
Depending on how old they are, they should be able to remember them,. You could ask them if they want to help you make it, or if they want it written down (helps them engage and remember especially if under 10). Hoping all goes well :)
No problems ☺
Ooo that's great I like the idea of them engaging in keeping her safe by writing things down! I will try that too!

I think I will get some internal latches for all outside doors and windows as well so no accidents can happen with that as well!

Thank you!

Cheekybirb

I would consider padlocking bird cage doors. My Quaker, Lucy had a bad leg and was unable to fly thanks to a small child “playing with” her. My latest foster tiel was killed by a little girl opening his cage door so he could “meet” the dog.

I am ok with kids coming up and saying hi to my birds but I don’t trust them around the cage. Kids can accidentally hurt birds, and bigger birds can hurt kids.

I would make a rule that they may not touch the birds cages. That you will bring the parrot out to say hi (if you want to) but nobody touches the cage. At least for the small children.
Hiya, thank you for your reply! And I'm so sorry to hear about your birds ❤

I think I will definitely get some extra locks for her cage! And have a no touching the cage rule too!

Thank you!

Cheekybirb

When my younger grandchildren are here the birds are always caged
Hiya, thank you for your reply!

Unfortunately, it will be too long a visit to keep her caged at all times!

haze

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
I also think that locking the cage and only having birdie out when a trusted adult is directly supervising is the best choice. I too have heard many sad stories of preventable bird deaths and injuries caused by young children. I truly think that your best option will be to limit your bird's freedom, and to not allow it to ever be out of the cage unsupervised. It may frustrate your bird for a couple of weeks but would save a whole lot of grief if anything were to potentially happen.

Cheekybirb

I also think that locking the cage and only having birdie out when a trusted adult is directly supervising is the best choice. I too have heard many sad stories of preventable bird deaths and injuries caused by young children. I truly think that your best option will be to limit your bird's freedom, and to not allow it to ever be out of the cage unsupervised. It may frustrate your bird for a couple of weeks but would save a whole lot of grief if anything were to potentially happen.

Yes we would always be supervising the bird whilst she is out, she's never unsupervised as it is but we will be extra vigilant!

Yes we don't want anything to happen so a bit more cage time would be fine, it's just any extra safety features that we can use as well that other people could recommend would be great too! :)

Thank you!

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Unfortunately, it will be too long a visit to keep her caged at all times!
Two weeks isn't a long time in the generall scheme of things, if this is keeping your bird safe.
When your bird is out I would suggest in a room doors shut and no children allowed, you need to consider the children as well the dynamic changes when your bird is out and you don't want a child being attacked and bitten.
When I went on holiday earlier in the year my birds where caged for 3 weeks this didn't effect our relationship and they where safe as where the people minding them.