• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Conure alone during evening hours

RuniRuin

Moving in
Hi! I’m gonna hopefully be adopting a lovely green cheek conure named Peaches and Cream as my first ever bird in a few weeks but my job requires me to go in at 3pm and leave at 11:30pm. Would she get lonely while I’m working? I get up around 7-7:30am most days and plan to spend a few hours with her before work. Is that enough? I don’t know if she’d get bored with me going to sleep like an hour after I get home. Thanks!

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Birds will need minimum 5+ hours out their cage daily, how many hours is a few? How are you able to put your birdie to sleep (cover if needed)?

RuniRuin

Moving in
Birds will need minimum 5+ hours out their cage daily, how many hours is a few? How are you able to put your birdie to sleep (cover if needed)?
Ideally I’d get her out of the cage around 8-9am for play time and put her back in around 2:15pm

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Ideally I’d get her out of the cage around 8-9am for play time and put her back in around 2:15pm
That should be fine then :)
I should've said welcome to the avenue as well, my bad :welcome2:

Spearmint

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
Thank you, I’m really excited to adopt her and hope to post her often when she’s home! Here’s a lil preview though at the store today :) View attachment 425272

As cute as she is, and this is not to discourage you at all, if you found your birdie, you found her :) , but just so you are aware.
Petstore birds 9/10 times come from breeding mills, and usually have underlying health issues, and come clipped. Spearmint has issues with his flight, and arrived with a crop infection, and he was clipped badly. A breeder is a much safer option if you're looking for a bird who you're sure won't have issues like being a velcro bird, behavioural issues or health issues.
Again, not to discourage or shame you! She's very precious :heart:

RuniRuin

Moving in
As cute as she is, and this is not to discourage you at all, if you found your birdie, you found her :) , but just so you are aware.
Petstore birds 9/10 times come from breeding mills, and usually have underlying health issues, and come clipped. Spearmint has issues with his flight, and arrived with a crop infection, and he was clipped badly. A breeder is a much safer option if you're looking for a bird who you're sure won't have issues like being a velcro bird, behavioural issues or health issues.
Again, not to discourage or shame you! She's very precious :heart:
Thank you!! I will inquire deeper into the medical history about her but my partner is adamant about adopting Peaches asap and not much will change their mind short of someone else adopting her!! She is currently in Petco in a decently large cage from the parameters I’ve seen. I don’t know if they clip their wings though, so if you know please say!! We’re going back tomorrow to pick up some early toys and stuff though :)

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Hi welcome! My situation is a little different because I have a pair so they keep each other company. I’m responding because my work schedule is similar to yours. Thankfully, I have help, they come out and spend a little time with me and then with my husband from 330pm on. Do you have secondary person in the house that could handle her?

They need a lot of sleep, my birds like to go in around 7pm, if left to their own will. If you have time with them in the morning/early afternoon, then put them in their cage before work, they really only will stay awake and alone for 4ish hours (3-7) Lots of toys, foraging opportunities and you should be fine. The only thing is to get them used to going in for lunch at a certain time so you can get out of the house and not be trying to get a bird inside. It took a little time but now, my birds go in when I give them food.

RuniRuin

Moving in
Hi welcome! My situation is a little different because I have a pair so they keep each other company. I’m responding because my work schedule is similar to yours. Thankfully, I have help, they come out and spend a little time with me and then with my husband from 330pm on. Do you have secondary person in the house that could handle her?

They need a lot of sleep, my birds like to go in around 7pm, if left to their own will. If you have time with them in the morning/early afternoon, then put them in their cage before work, they really only will stay awake and alone for 4ish hours (3-7) Lots of toys, foraging opportunities and you should be fine. The only thing is to get them used to going in for lunch at a certain time so you can get out of the house and not be trying to get a bird inside. It took a little time but now, my birds go in when I give them food.
Thank you! :) My partner will sometimes be over on the days he has off, but we don’t live together full time yet. I don’t know if that will cause stress on her either :( And how would you recommend giving foraging opportunities, in your opinion?

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Thank you! :) My partner will sometimes be over on the days he has off, but we don’t live together full time yet. I don’t know if that will cause stress on her either :( And how would you recommend giving foraging opportunities, in your opinion?
My babies, because they are bonded lovebirds, have a balanced relationship with both my husband and I. They actually choose who to go to depending on what needs they want met and their mood. If they didn’t have each other, we think they would have a “person” so even if you have the help available, it may not be easy for your partner to deal with Peaches. Maybe in good time.

I find that putting them in at 3pm isn’t bad as long as they have a lot of time outside. My birds use that alone time to play, eat, preen, and self soothe. Also, they are tired from flying around and being super active.

Foraging can look different for every bird. I know there are threads here, maybe someone can link them. For me? I take a little tray and put crinkle paper, different materials (balsa, mahogany, cork, paper straws, finger traps, and leftover toys they destroy and no longer hang) I put pellets and very minimal seeds. I try to use every feeding opportunity to make them forage, instead of just free offering it. It is obviously there, they just need to find all their food. Keeps them busy. With the exception of their fresh veggies. They get that for free. So many vendors here have items that can keep the single bird occupied, happy, and healthy.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Hi and welcome

how many days do you work a week ?

I work 2 12hours shifts a week 7/7 so for two days a week they don’t come out of their cages that day I do Monday Thursday one week Friday Saturday week after then off for a week Friday Saturday Monday Thursday off for a week
I fill up their foraging toys night before work just before it’s lights out change water food etc then when I come in at 19:30 I change water food etc and if I have work next day refill their foraging toys again sit and chat to them before turning lights off at 20:00

Only two of mine are bonded and share a cage

if you have a big cage lots of toys and foraging opportunities to keep them entertained while you are at work and have peaches out when you are home
I personally think it will work and be a good balance of spending time with you and having some independence in their cage too

as
@Spearmint said what about bedtime? Would you just let them have natural light to sleep and wake upto ?

mine aren’t covered I have curtains in bird room so mine kind off have natural light sleep patterns in winter I do turn lights on at half 4 in winter as it’s starts getting dark and that’s way too early for bed

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He is lovely

I wouldnt get massively hung up on schedule as your birds enviroment will be changing just get him on the schedule you plan to have him on and try and maintain it as best you can this will allow him to settle in easier, i personally dont think there is a amount of time your birds need to be out daily sometimes life gets in the way for me it is much more important that any out of cage time is enriching spend time training your bird offer foraging activity as suggested above.

when introducing your bird to your home take things slowly dont add a massive amount of toys to his cage initially just spend the first week allowing him to settle and get to know you and get to know him, my dynamic is now different as i now have to conures but when i just had the one she was fine when left on her own we used to leave music on for her and she had her toys.

I dont think it's a bad thing getting a bird from a petstore it needs a home and i am sure you will improve things for the bird bringing him homw but i would suggest a vet check is planned to check any underlying health issues but this is the case for all new birds good luck.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
And how would you recommend giving foraging opportunities, in your opinion?
Have just cleaned my two foraging boxes they are for out of cage time, but i do the same sort of thing in there cages with smaller boxes,paper cups and super bird creation foraging mugs.
20230321_131912.jpg
For a bird new to foraging make the boxes less busy start with just some crinkle paper and add things as things get to easy.
Wrapping a nutriberri in a paper coffee filter is a easy way to encourage foraging just make sure your bird watches you wrap it.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Here is a thread with loads of foraging ideas for little beaks.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Have just cleaned my two foraging boxes they are for out of cage time, but i do the same sort of thing in there cages with smaller boxes,paper cups and super bird creation foraging mugs.
View attachment 425324
For a bird new to foraging make the boxes less busy start with just some crinkle paper and add things as things get to easy.
Wrapping a nutriberri in a paper coffee filter is a easy way to encourage foraging just make sure your bird watches you wrap it.
CN it be any coffe flitter paper ?

RuniRuin

Moving in
Hi and welcome

how many days do you work a week ?

I work 2 12hours shifts a week 7/7 so for two days a week they don’t come out of their cages that day I do Monday Thursday one week Friday Saturday week after then off for a week Friday Saturday Monday Thursday off for a week
I fill up their foraging toys night before work just before it’s lights out change water food etc then when I come in at 19:30 I change water food etc and if I have work next day refill their foraging toys again sit and chat to them before turning lights off at 20:00

Only two of mine are bonded and share a cage

if you have a big cage lots of toys and foraging opportunities to keep them entertained while you are at work and have peaches out when you are home
I personally think it will work and be a good balance of spending time with you and having some independence in their cage too

as
@Spearmint said what about bedtime? Would you just let them have natural light to sleep and wake upto ?

mine aren’t covered I have curtains in bird room so mine kind off have natural light sleep patterns in winter I do turn lights on at half 4 in winter as it’s starts getting dark and that’s way too early for bed
I’m working Monday through Friday 3pm to 11:30, so it’ll be well past dusk by the time I get home. And my partner and I just bought our first toy today and are planning on getting more before adopting her!! And I’m not gonna be home a lot to put a cover on the cage unless my partner is home so I’m thinking natural light would be best

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Thank you, I’m really excited to adopt her and hope to post her often when she’s home! Here’s a lil preview though at the store today :) View attachment 425272
Holy crap what a cutie pie!

Hello and welcome!!

I would recommend as soon as you get her, get into an avian vet for a full check up and blood work. That way you know fully what you're in for. The Petcos and Petsmart her in VA all clip wings, I assume it's a corporate thing - hopefully yours isn't too severe! Here they do have it done by a vet (in my city) but in my previous city it wasn't done by a vet and could often be done very poorly.

Have you already picked out a cage and everything?

I use natural light for my cockatiel and he does fine with it, but I have to cover my cockatoo because she's otherwise up with the sunrise :meh: I am not a sunrise person lol. They're out from (usually) 830am to 12ishpm, have a "nap" (where I get things like laundry and cleaning done because birds are not helpful with that) until 2pm, and then they go to bed at 7pm. Although bed time is getting iffy because it's staying light later - I'm looking into blackout curtains, which I'd recommend for you too if you're going to be using natural light for your little friend.

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I love those foraging boxes but my Quaker is afraid of everything new.
It means I have to be the toy which can be nice or can be frustrating.
I wish I could figure out some way for him to get familiar with new things.

RuniRuin

Moving in
Holy crap what a cutie pie!

Hello and welcome!!

I would recommend as soon as you get her, get into an avian vet for a full check up and blood work. That way you know fully what you're in for. The Petcos and Petsmart her in VA all clip wings, I assume it's a corporate thing - hopefully yours isn't too severe! Here they do have it done by a vet (in my city) but in my previous city it wasn't done by a vet and could often be done very poorly.

Have you already picked out a cage and everything?

I use natural light for my cockatiel and he does fine with it, but I have to cover my cockatoo because she's otherwise up with the sunrise :meh: I am not a sunrise person lol. They're out from (usually) 830am to 12ishpm, have a "nap" (where I get things like laundry and cleaning done because birds are not helpful with that) until 2pm, and then they go to bed at 7pm. Although bed time is getting iffy because it's staying light later - I'm looking into blackout curtains, which I'd recommend for you too if you're going to be using natural light for your little friend.
Thank you for the response!! We do have a cage but it’s not a life-long cage so we’re gonna get a bigger one asap so it will hopefully last her her entire life :) And I’ll definitely check out blackout curtains! Thank you!!