• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Considering becoming a bird parent

Status
Not open for further replies.

InsanityJane

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jane
Hello all! My son is turning 10 soon and for about a year now he has been asking for a pet bird. He had a class bird, a very tame love bird, that he adored last year. After researching options, it seems that a Cockatiel would be the best bird for our family. There is a wonderful avian-only store near us that has handfed birds and that is where we would get our pet from. I am just wanting to hear some first-hand information on Cockatiel ownership. I am slightly confused because what I read is that 'tiels are gentler and more affectionate than other bird types, but then I come accross information about serious problems with biting and aggression.

Of course, I know that I will be as much responsible for the bird's care as my son, but I really want this to be a pet for him that he can bond with. I don't want to set him up for the disappointment of a bird that bites too much to be handled.

It seems that a handfed female would be the best option, and I realize that all birds will have their own personalities, but as a generality, I would like some firsthand wisdom about what we'll be getting if we choose a Cockatiel for our family. Thanks!!

TypingParrot

Rollerblading along the road
Any bird has the potential to be aggressive and just as well, any bird has the potential to be handled with ease. It depends on how you handle the bird, how often, paying attention to body language, training and hormones. Birds that don't get enough sleep get cranky, think terrible two's...

There is no such thing as a beginner bird, however there are some birds that are significantly more difficult to care for.

I've had a cockatiel and known others who have had them as well. Of the 6 cockatiels I interacted with on a regular basis, only one was aggressive and that particular tiel was not socialized.

Stick around, you will learn a lot, and become one of us crazy bird people!

:welcomeavenue:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
A Cockatiel is probably a great choice because it's closest to being domesticated of all the birds other than maybe Budgies. I haven't personally owned one for decades, so I will let others give you more information on what they are truly like but most people will tell you they do make wonderful pets. I think you just have to make sure that you go through a reputable breeder.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
I :heart: them. I don't have one, but I love them very much. Don't let their "commoness" fool you. They have the potential to be some of the sweethest, loyalest, smartest, gentlest and most affectionate companion birds out there if you have the love an patience to give. They need a ton of attention and you can't get one, love him to pieces for a couple of months and then let him sit in his cage alone forever, you will break his heart. They are long lived, sometimes up into their 20's so this is a life long committment. They need good food, no Walmart junk, fresh fruits and veggies, and a nice big clean cage. Good luck and come back here when you find your faby to let us get to meet him.

Ginger

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
They're just big parrots in a tiny body. Fantastic birds. You might want to get a male and avoid all the egg laying issues.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
as the slave of three tiels, I can tell you there is no better choice...I disagree, however that they are a starter bird..you are either ready for the responsibility of a bird, or you are not..does not matter on size though the smaller breeders are better for some first timers...make sure you s upervise your son....and please, not mite protectors --those s hould not be sold..just one of the many things they sell that are for money making purposes only..pure poison..also no gravel or grit...also I must caution you about pet stores..if you think this one is good then ok...but most of them get birds from bird mills and do not treat their birds very well...I would definitely go with hand fed for sure...the only t hing with a very young tiel is that sometimes they regress from stress so you must be prepared to hand feed ..doesn't always happen though...and do not forget, you will bring home your baby and they will be afraid for the first little while...any breed will bite..our Sam is a nipper, but she is an egg laying female and she nips..it doesn't hurt..we mostly ignore it...also you cannot leave t he poor little thing alone in a cage..you need to explain to your son that it is a lifetime commitment...believe me, you will get no better com panion..they are smart, funny, loveable little creatures and I cannot imagine my life without a tiel. If your son gives up on the tiel or budgie or whatever, you must be prepared to step in and be that birdie's friend...I think it is a wonderful way for a child (or anybody!) to learn responsibility...

InsanityJane

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jane
Thank you all! I do plan to take this seriously, for as long as the bird lives. My dad is actually a veterinarian (though he doesn't work with birds much) so I've owned lots of cats, dogs, and various rodents; just no birds.

I do think this is a reputable store, the lovebird that my son was so taken with is from this place. They told me about cooking noodles and beans and feeding fresh produce to the birds. They have a lot of young birds and you can pick out your bird then visit it regularly until it is old enough to go home. It's not a petsmart or anything like that. Only birds. They also board birds for people, clip wings and trim nails for $5. But, I won't pretend to be as knowledgeable about it, so feel free to give me tips to know if it's a reputable place or not.

Also, I am trying to decide the best place to put the birdcage. Either the formal living room on our main level (I'm used to messiness in there, we had two guinea pigs residing in there, throwing bedding and food around.) or in my upstairs office/guest bedroom. Pros/Cons of the living room; main level and so better socialization with family and guests. Able to hear more sounds and a big window across the room for natural light. But, we have a little dog on this level that is a fast mover and sometimes a barker. Also, the more in with the family, the more noise and chances for being scared. Also, as far as playtime outside of the cage, I think it will be safer not on the level with the dog. Upstairs would be calmer and quieter, the dog can't go upstairs. I work in my office a lot, it is right next to my son's room and he will be doing his homework in there, so the bird would not be alone up there, but not as much opportunity to meet visitors and see the goings on in the house. I can also draw curtains in the office at night and can't in the living room, not sure if that makes a difference. And my biggest concern, is what to do when guests stay overnight in that room. Will the bird willingly sleep in my son's room (in it's cage) for a few nights... WHEW, I'm sorry for such a longwinded stream of consciousness... LOL. Thanks if you read this far.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I think the bird will be better off away from the main areas as tiels are fairly timid creatures and loud noises bother them etc...sure the bird will sleep in your son's room....I ho nestly think being away from the dog is a better option..honest!

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
I currently have four cockatiels. I absolutely love tiels, they are the BEST! Three of mine are rescues, of the three rescues two are handleable, one of them, Doodlebug who was found after being dropped by a hawk is afraid of being held. My fourth one is a handfed baby. She is super sweet and loving. A handfed baby is a great choice. I don't think you will be disappointed with a cockatiel:)

Last edited:

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
I have an adopted Cockatiel, who is fairly gentle and calm. He is a perch potato who likes whistling and making sounds for hours. I want to give you an important advice, INTERACT with various species before you decide on one. Reading and meeting are like night and day. A lovebird is nothing like a cockatiel. To me, a lovebird is spunky and funny with a zest for life. Cockatiels don't carry that same zest, instead they like to sit and stare most of the day.

It is important to find out what your son wants out of a bird. Look for traits that he wants and then match a species to those, rather than looking at species first. Btw, my Cockatiel is quite nippy.

Dana Lee

Real Name
Dana
My female cockatiel is very gentle and calm. I love her so much. I second that they need a lot of attention mine is out for at least 3 hours a day, usually 5 hours a day. I cuddle her and she also enjoys her independent supervised playtime on her play gym or foraging. She is also very loud for a little bird. She wakes me up early sometimes.

clawnz

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Clive
I am biased. I think my Tiels are super company, I love the great big characters in such a small package.
I started with a Tiel, after doing a lot of looking to see what would be a good bird to start with. She was very shy and tried to hide her deformed feet. It took her a year with me, before she actualy stood up on her feet and walked instead of waddling everywhere. She was then 18mths old. I was very hubbled by this little one. I made a mistake and she got scared and flew out a door never to be found by me, anyway.
I now have four. They are a joy to have as my flock.
Henry is a gentleman.
Max is a bully and sexual predator (at the moment).
Tinkerbell very flighty.
Cindy seems to be a peaceful young lady a bit chatty though. She has only been here 19days. So things may change.
I am sorry to those I may offend, But I do refer to my Tiels as "Easy Care".
I have one Eastern Rosella and she is more trouble, and makes more mess than the four Tiels put together.

"They have a lot of young birds and you can pick out your bird then visit it regularly until it is old enough to go home"
This is great! As you can see if any of the young ones take to your son right from the word go. It is nice if you can find a bird that comes to you or shows interest. Try and pick up on body language. This may not be possible if they are very young though.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
My cockatiel Baby is 23. He is so sweet and adorable
I don't think you would be disappointed getting one;)

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G using Tapatalk

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
I love my tiels.. :heart: My Mikey is soo sweet and cuddly, I adopted him from a rescue... He does love getting scritches.. And my Daisy, I adopted her as a baby, she can be nippy and a brat.. But she sure is a gal who knows what she wants and she is very lovable.. I think a tiel would be a wonderful addition.. I remember when I was 8, I got my first bird (little parakeet) and my mom told me that she was my responsiblity.. I had to clean the cage, feed/water, play, etc.. In the beginning I slacked a little and she told me that if I didn't do as I promised she would take the bird away and I would never be allowed to have another one.. So from then on I did the right thing by little buddy.. I had her for 5 years.. That is until my moms friend (she lived with us) well her cat killed my bird.. I was heartbroken to come home from school and feathers all over the place.. I cried for months as that was quite traumatizing for anyone to see, never mind a child.. So yes upstairs would be great for your new birdie and far away from your little doggie. :) I can't wait to see pictures and hear about him/her when you bring your baby home.. :heart:

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I honestly can’t think of one bad thing to say about Cockatiels, I have (and always will) the biggest soft spot for them! I have 16 Cockatiels myself. :heart:

They are incredibly sweet natured, docile, and laid back – I find them easy to be around/be with, and they are very playful, funny, curious, and responsive to what is going on in the environment and people.

As for aggression and biting...

Crankiness, territorialism and hormonal aggression are the most common instincts that cause initial biting. Crankiness usually occurs when a bird is over stimulated or over tired from playing outside of the cage too long or too roughly or from not receiving a full 10-12 hours of sleep at night.

I honestly wouldn’t worry too much about it right now, but in future, should the Cockatiel become aggressive, it is usually due to one of the 3 reasons above, they aren’t going to suddenly snap, they are cheerful, and full of personality, it wouldn’t be like them.

Because Cockatiels are so sweet and laid back, you won’t find forming a bond with them hard, they are pretty quick to cling to you and form an amazing relationship with you. It is a matter of continuing the interaction so that you don’t lose that bond.

Oh, I would also recommend a male, though the noise level of them can bother some people, but females can be just as loud, you just won't have to worry about egg laying with a male as it has been said already.

Anyway, all the best of luck, you are definitely considering one of the best smaller birds, you won’t regret it. :) Here is a great website on Cockatiels with tons of fantastic information if you want to check it out (if you haven’t seen it already): Cockatiel Cottage, Cockatiels, basic care and general information on the cockatiel, cockatiel information, cockatiels basic care, diet, nutrition, pellet diets, health, illness, behavior, taming, behavior problems, biting, sickness, symptoms of a sic

You can't resist them, especially when they smile at you. ;)

(This is a Cockatiel baby I hand-raised by the way)

Last edited:

InsanityJane

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jane
I have been perusing Cocatiel Cottage, thank you. I've been googling different playstands and even looked to see if there are good sites with directions to make our own. I'm wanting to gather as much information as possible before we make the commitment to a new pet.

Renae- I see that you are from Sydney. We had the amazing opportunity last November to visit Brisbane and Sydney. We LOVED it. The wild birds there are NOTHING like what we have here in the States. I loved the rainbow Lories and the Galas. SO beautiful and the singing in the morning was divine!! I also gained 5 lbs from TimTams and Meatpies!! We hope to go back a year from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.