• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Confused??

Ollysmama

Moving in
I have a rescue rainbow lorikeet named Olly, I’ve had him for 4 years now and he’s my whole world. I took him to the vet two days ago for a check up and a nail and beak trim, due to his injuries before being rescued his beak grows long. The veterinarian said that olly was healthy and fine but when I got him back he wasn’t used to his trimmed nails and kept falling over I assumed he needed time getting used to them. I wasn’t too worried but since yesterday he has been sleeping A LOT. So it’s been two days of daytime napping which is completely unlike him. Other than the sleeping he is eating normally, responds to treats calls out to other lories who are flying past and preens himself. He doesn’t seem as energetic but he isn’t out of it either he gives me kisses and is vocal. The thing I’m most concerned about is the napping. I also wanted to note that the day he started sleeping a lot my mum was fixing an iPad near his cage and was using aerosol acrylic paint. I got super angry because I’ve been urging her to not use any chemicals near him and it was completely selfish I could smell it when I woke up so it was strong. I generally keep his cage outdoors for this reason but we just moved and there’s no shade in the backyard but I’m working on that. For now I moved olly to my room with all windows open away from hazards and I’ve ordered a purifier as well. I really need advice please, what can I do for him? Is he just getting rid of the toxins? I’ve attached some pictures of him from today

Attachments

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My Jardine's usually takes a couple days after the vet to recover. However, he's 21 and has a history of illness.

The problem with things like aerosols is that they don't just get into the lungs and air sacs and then get expelled. The avian respiratory system is very efficient things that might just be irritating to us can have lasting effects for them, and can even scar their respiratory systems.

It is really hard to say which this is, but I would guess he was affected by the aerosols and would be speaking to my vet to ask what my next steps should be.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
My Bird takes a day or two to recover from a vet trip but it is a very rough long trip there and then again home.

With the aerosol and acrylic paint fumes being used in his airspace I would be calling my vet for advice and not just assuming it is just tiredness from the previous visit.

I hope he will be alright.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I hope your little cutie will be okay! My guess also is that it’s from the fumes.

Ollysmama

Moving in
My Bird takes a day or two to recover from a vet trip but it is a very rough long trip there and then again home.

With the aerosol and acrylic paint fumes being used in his airspace I would be calling my vet for advice and not just assuming it is just tiredness from the previous visit.

Same for us our avian vet is an hour and a bit away but I made the trip there fun for him with his toys and he wasn’t stressed out at all until the drive back and then my mum took the opportunity to handle him with her hands since he couldn’t bite hard anymore and I tried stopping her. I think that stressed him a lot too because I never handle him like that unless I need to for his own sake. I took him out for a walk today to eat some of the nectar in the native trees around our house and he livened up a lot. His feathers are sleek and shiny like usual and he didn’t nap until I brought him back inside and left him alone. I’m gonna make an appointment on Saturday hopefully I just don’t want to stress him out anymore :(

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Same for us our avian vet is an hour and a bit away but I made the trip there fun for him with his toys and he wasn’t stressed out at all until the drive back and then my mum took the opportunity to handle him with her hands since he couldn’t bite hard anymore and I tried stopping her. I think that stressed him a lot too because I never handle him like that unless I need to for his own sake. I took him out for a walk today to eat some of the nectar in the native trees around our house and he livened up a lot. His feathers are sleek and shiny like usual and he didn’t nap until I brought him back inside and left him alone. I’m gonna make an appointment on Saturday hopefully I just don’t want to stress him out anymore :(
My vet is just under two hours one way and the roads are horribly bumpy. I really think the sooner you can speak to the vet the better, can you just call them and give them a description of his behavior and also tell them about the paint?

If he does not like being handled then I assume he is not keen on letting you put a harness on so can I ask how you safely take him outside to eat nectar?

Ollysmama

Moving in
My vet is just under two hours one way and the roads are horribly bumpy. I really think the sooner you can speak to the vet the better, can you just call them and give them a description of his behavior and also tell them about the paint?

If he does not like being handled then I assume he is not keen on letting you put a harness on so can I ask how you safely take him outside to eat nectar?
He was hit by a car about 4 years ago we found him injured on a busy main road where a lot of rainbow lorikeets are. He sustained irreversible injuries to the left side of his body including a blind eye, broken beak and a broken wing which healed wrong. We took him to an avian vet who told us it’s best to leave him the way he is as re-breaking his wing is risky, lengthy and painful so he was never able to fly again. He’s comfortable just sitting on my shoulder for short walks and flaps his wings in the direction he wants to go when he sees the native trees. And thank you I’m going to give them a call now

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Ohh Poor little Olly! I love that they learn to direct their moving perches (us) to where they want to be hehehe. Please keep us updated with how he is doing. He sounds like a little treasure.

Ollysmama

Moving in
Yess
Ohh Poor little Olly! I love that they learn to direct their moving perches (us) to where they want to be hehehe. Please keep us updated with how he is doing. He sounds like a little treasure.
Yesss I love that too haha we’re basically their huge tree servants lmao. But yes I took him this morning and the veterinarian said he looked healthy and didn’t seem to be exhibiting signs of poisoning. He was being playful with her and they loved him over there but when I brought him back he went straight back to being fluffy and taking naps. I’m guessing the trips are too much for him my poor baby.

Ollysmama

Moving in

It looks like it might just be stress and tiredness or maybe he’s recovering from the fumes and he was mildly affected. Still I’m glad I got him checked out just to be sure and thank you so much for your advice