• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Confused about cat

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Carol
Two people that have cats told me I should let the cat go. One gave me a guilt trip by telling me I took everything away from her that she knew and strays belong outside. I feel taking in a cat to get fixed, shots and a chance for a better life is better than starving, getting hit on the road or some kind of disease killing her. I can't have a cat in my house but I'd be willing to let her live out there until we find one. Am I wrong?

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I don't think your wrong at all. She will live a much safer fuller life if your able to get her vaccinated. Especially if you get her spayed she won't be bred until she's sick and exhausted and far less kittens will be born into the world to then themselves have countless stray kittens of their own that will live sad tragic lives in a never ending cycle.

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Carol
I agree. Nothing else lives in the empty kennel so she's safe. We're in no hurry.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
If she’s wild it will be extremely stressful for her.

When they trap spay and release they try to do it as fast as possible to minimise fear and stress. Wild animals don’t understand the constraints of doors and walls and find them quite distressing.

If you’ve trapped her then I’d get it vetted asap, speak to the vet and ask their thoughts. Some wild animals can adjust but a bigger portion don’t and constantly feel fear and confusion.

I’m all for cats never being allowed to free roam outside so I personally couldn’t do the trap spay release thing as it just goes against my thoughts beliefs and feelings to release a problem back into our environment… cats don’t belong here in Aus and are major concern to our native animals - it may be quite different where you are so I think you’ll need to weigh up all facts and decide for yourself where your situation fits and what you believe.

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Carol
She got used to follow my daughter into the kennel and than started eating in there. On the 17th my daughter just shut the door while she was eating. My daughter said she walked around and than sit up on a window ledge and looked outside.

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Get her spayed, tested and vaccinated. Give her lots of enrichment. Places to climb toys to chase and she how she does.

I am not generally in favor of cats running loose but we took in a trapped stray after he was fixed and vaccinated. After 2 months he continued to hide under the bed in the spare bedroom. He attacked us every time we fed him or gave him water. He peed wherever he felt like in the bedroom in spite of having a litter box all to himself. He did poop in the litter box. He was no closer to comfortable after 2 months, then he was when we brought him home. We found someone who needed/wanted a barn cat. It took us 3 days to trap him in the confines of the bedroom. He is now comfortable living in a barn, able to come and go as he pleases and gets regular food in addition to mice. He is still very skittish around people.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I will say it depends.

Truly feral cats sometimes don't adapt well to indoor or confined life. Depending on how big the kennel is, it may also be too small for even a well adjusted cat long term.

If she likes people though, getting her vetted and spayed and in with a family is much better for her :)

Cats that live indoors have an average life expectancy of 10-15 years compared to outdoor cats that average 3-5 years.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It sounds to me as though she was not stressed by having the door shut behind her. I think having her seen by a vet is a great plan. Perhaps just see how she reacts over the next few days.

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Check with your local vet or SPCA for a voucher to get her spayed for free. Some vets will even do shots at he same time for free. They usually spay & you take the cat back the same day. Our neighbor just had a feral cat spayed that had 5 kittens. They are living under the house next door to her. Neighbor passed away 2 years ago & the house just sold. It needs a lot of work, so doubt anyone will be living in it soon. She has been feeding them for 4 months. To date she has not been able to pick up any of the kittens, who are all just about as big as the mother cat. She tried once & the kitten attacked her & then the Momma cat attacked her. No idea what will happen to them when winter hits. They are living under a very low deck. They come to her when she goes to fed them. She can pet Momma cat, but not the kittens. Most feral cats do not do well confined indoors.

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Carol
The kennel building is 18× 23 ft. Plus a laundry room and bathroom. She was very vocal this morning because her food bowl was empty. She's eating and drinking good, she's so skinny.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The kennel building is 18× 23 ft. Plus a laundry room and bathroom. She was very vocal this morning because her food bowl was empty. She's eating and drinking good, she's so skinny.
Glad to hear that she's eating well that's really encouraging.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Being spayed/neutered & vaccinated will help this cat. If she's truly feral, I'd call a humane society/spca. They often have working cat programs to adopt such cats as mousers to barns, breweries, etc. If she was raised with/around/near people, she'd likely adapt to a more pampered lifestyle.

One of our late family cats came from a barn & was taken in at a year old. He never had any issues except a fear of TVs 'till he figured out the stuff on them wasn't real & couldn't come - he was petrified by the news at first.

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Carol
My daughter volunteers at a shelter/ rescue so I know that's a good option. They have a vet that comes in once a month to spay and neuter strays for the shelter.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Sounds good to me! Besides, she loves your daughter.

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Carol
My daughter got a gift card for her birthday and she spent it all on cat toys. Lol

Greylady1966

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Carol
She's an angel. With all the medical problems she has and never once complained. Very relaxed and also has good things to say about everyone no matter how they act. She's taught me a lot. :heart: