• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Concerns about fully flighted parrots in new apartment

Birds&Tea

Meeting neighbors
Hello! I share my space with a cockatiel (Ruby) and a GCC (Pepper), both of who are fully flighted. We recently moved from our own house to a room staying with family. Now we're getting an apartment and it's the first time I've had concerns about the parrots' ability to fly around.

My biggest concern is that the living room leads to a balcony. We're planning on using the balcony frequently for our older dog for bathroom breaks. Ideally, I'd like to keep the birds in the living room since that's were my husband and I will be a lot of the time, but would never forgive myself if the girls got out. It seems like the safest course is to keep their wings clipped while we're there.

If I do that, how can I best help them not feel restrained? Is there a set up I can put together so they still have access to get to high and low places and don't feel like their missing out?

Thank you!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
To me there are a lot more options than just clipping, and believe me CLIPPED BIRDS FLY AWAY. I know this for an undeniable fact. I feel like I have mentioned this 1000 times and I am sure many are tired of hearing me talk about it, but my mother in laws cockatiel DROPPED like a rock when he attempted flight. Still, he managed to get out, swept up by the wind, and was found dead miles away. He was completely at the mercy of the elements because he had zero control. So to limit their flight to keep them safe is really just a false sense of security.

I've also personally lost a bird (Koopa, green cheeked conure) outside, through a tiny hole in the screen door. I never found her, dead or alive. Everyday I wish I had her back. Not a single day do I wish she was clipped - I wish I had made her environment safer. Because THAT's what let her escape, not her wings.

To suggestions - you can hang a curtain in front of the slider (using tension rods, if you have to ) to keep the birds out. You get behind the curtain before opening the door.
Or you can get a "pet panel" which is a dog door for sliding glass doors (if that is what you are working with)
Even a magic mesh screen ($20) will offer protection (I have used those before.
Lock the birds up before opening the door.
Put the birds in a different room while opening the door.

There are a lot of ways to make this work. I have been there several times before. But please don't think that sacrificing their mobility for your convenience will keep them safer.

"how can I best help them not feel restrained?" Tie your shoelaces together for 6-18 months (the amount of time that your birds will be grounded) and then try to determine ways to not feel restrained. You can set up ropes, boings, playstands, etc, all over the living room (a highway, if you will) but still getting from point A to point B will take a lot longer for them, and that will make them feel restrained. In addition, they may fall a lot to the point of injury since they are used to having full mobility.

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
Does your balcony have an overhang? Can you completely enclose the balcony with safety netting that they can't chew through? Can the dogs get to the screen and tear it? I'm sure you could have a great setup, using safety and being creative. I know there are bird safety netting materials out there, I'm not sure if your apartment/landlord will allow you to nail into the balcony so you may have to make one? We purchased a screen used for sliding doors and enclosed our canopy with it. 2 sides of the canopy sits against the house so there is no getting out that way, the other two sides are screened in on the inside, with clear plastic non-mold curtains on the outside. Screens are nailed to wooden posts and zip tied to the metal canopy. We metal is down right now getting hosed and washed (get's dirty) and we hang them back up. You can see the clear shower curtains folded up as we were removing the screen.

Lots of farmers create crop covers for the birds. You may want a wind block too, depending on where you are located. I've provided links for various different kinds of ways to keep birds out but can use as ideas to keep them in too. Please keep in mind you will need to assure the metal is not toxic and find one what isn't, or perhaps another material. I'd love to see what you end up with.

Pigeon Control Problems in San Francisco Bay Area | Birds Away

IMG_0818.jpeg IMG_0819-1.jpeg IMG_0820.jpeg
Right side Left side Ceiling

We just purchased an outside heater that can heat a large area, we plan to create a ventilation on top with a filter which we have, and do final touches this month to use it for winter.

cosmolove

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Erica (:
I know many clipped birds that have flown away. To be honest clipping often gives a false sense of security. Based on your area I can only assume the door is not going to be open 24/7 so it would be similar to any other door or window in your home.

I personally have two of my birds (other is in quarantine) in a room that the door opens up outside, the birds are fully flighted (well one is clipped but she flies anyways). We have a screen door on it as well so its rarely standing open for long periods of time. Anytime anyone is going through any of the doors to the outside we have the birds locked up. Each cage we have two locks on it as well. One that is an actual latch and another that blocks the door from opening if the cage is unlocked so you have to use two hands to open it.

We just got in the habit of never having the birds out if the door was going to open at all.

Long ago when I had my green cheek I had them in a complete other room in the house and it was actually hard to even get to this particular door. I walked over to let my dog outside just a quick open and close and the green cheek flew out. Now thankfully he landed right in front of me and stepped right up and we went back inside. But that just goes to show you how quick something can happen even from a completely different room in the house.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Please re-read the post by @Mizzely ...then read it again. Birds are born to fly...if you choose to keep birds in your household, you must let them do what nature gave them ability to do.

Our flock is fully flighted...except for one (Milton) who is clipped for medical reasons only...we always are thinking safety first, and you can too...

Birds&Tea

Meeting neighbors
Thank you all for your replies! Sorry it's taken so long to get back to this thread, we've been moving in!

I agree that parrots should be allowed to fly. I've never clipped wings in the past and still haven't. I appreciate the suggestions for work around. So far everyone is settling in nicely <3