• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Concerning behavior

Quan

Moving in
Hello! My cockatiel, a few days ago, started this weird behavior, which starts to concern me: He is scratching one eye with his wing and claws and keeps it closed. Besides that, he does readjust his crop everytime when he does that.

Any idea what this may mean?

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Is his eye swollen or discolored?

Tony’s Mom

Meeting neighbors
Keep us posted but ultimately it is best to consult with an avian vet.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
To a veterinarian. Eyes are critical. Eye pain is not fun

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
No, that's why I'm a little confused
I would definitely make a vet appt. Eyes are something you don’t want to wait on.

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Keeping eye closed and rubbing, scratching it indicates pain and inflammation. You don't have to have swelling or discharge to have a problem. He is showing it's bothering him and something is wrong by this behavior

Tony’s Mom

Meeting neighbors
Our girl (cockatiel) got some of that clay from a manu block in her eye. She started rubbing her eye on her wing over and over until she managed to get her eye infected. After a visit to our avian vet they gave her some eye drops with antibiotics to be applied 2 times a day for like 10 days. I don’t want to go back because it was difficult to apply the drops 2 times daily…

Quan

Moving in
Hello! My cockatiel, a few days ago, started this weird behavior, which starts to concern me: He is scratching one eye with his wing and claws and keeps it closed. Besides that, he does readjust his crop everytime when he does that.

Any idea what this may mean?
UPDATE: he stopped scratching and doesnt close his eye like that anymore (I tracked him for the last 4 days). I think he is fine now