• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Concerned about Teak

Nikomania

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Yesterday I brought Teak in for a corrective beak trim as her lower beak had grown longer than the upper. The avian vet was the one who trimmed her beak. After the trim, Teak's beak wasn't closing as the lower beak has been trimmed way back, so it looks like her mouth is always slightly open. The vet mentioned that she'll have to figure out how to eat with it being this short again.

Unfortunately she can't really eat at all. She can't pick anything up and if I give her something to eat, she can't bite down on it properly, and the food falls out of her mouth. She tries repeatedly, but I don't think she's really getting anything down.

I've mashed up her food and placed it onto a flat plate. She's working very hard trying to eat, but I don't know how successful she really is. I've put fresh papers down and plan on monitoring her poops for signs of food digestion.

I hope things will improve very soon for her, as it's causing me anxiety watching her trying to feed herself. I'm thinking that he dremeled it too far back, as it doesn't touch the inside of her upper beak when she closes it.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
That would be pretty upsetting. Maybe you could try some comfort feedings with some mash and a syringe or spoon?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Poor Teak! It does sound like he may have trimmed it too far, but I remember the thread about Lenny, the macaw with a very overgrown beak. Rescued BG Macaw Lenny ***All Shiny and New*** UPDATE ADOPTED She couldn't close get beak for a couple of days after hers was first trimmed because it had been that way for so long. I know Teak's was nowhere near that bad but it's possible it might really just take her a bit to hold her jaw differently. Hopefully that's the case. :angel1: Maybe some hand feeding formula in the meantime? :)

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm guessing that it's a little tender if they did it a bit too short. Poor girl! :(

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Awww she's so precious!! I can definitely see why she is having problems though :( will she eat off a spoon for you at all? It may take her a bit to figure it all out but I'm sure she will. Some birds are able to eat without a bottom beak completely!

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
A spoon frightens her, but she will attempt to scoop up mashed food from a plate. Lots of chewing motions, but not much is swallowed. She's pooping less with minute amount of solids. She keeps trying though.
It broke my heart to see her trying to eat her favorite treat: a cashew. She worked so hard, but it all eventually hit the bottom of her cage.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Will she eat mash off your fingers? Or with a syringe?
It breaks my heart to think of how hard she’s trying but not really getting any down :(
That must be so torturous for her and also for you to watch :sadhug2:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Aww I can't imagine if Ripley couldn't eat his favorite snack :(

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
That just breaks my heart. I could not have imagined it was that severe. She is just so beautiful! I'd have to say something to the vet.

Fia Baby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Beth
My cockatoo has no lower beak at all, so she can do this, with help from you. Offer her soft food in small pieces that she doesn't need to make smaller, as well as warm, mashed food. The texture of oatmeal/split pea soup should be good for her. Also try thawed peas and corn, and a small pellet that she can swallow whole. Scrambled eggs will also be a good to start with. Poor bird. Keep helping her and offering her things, I think she'll get it.

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awwww poor Bird. Could be tender beak from the trim or your bird just needs more time to adjust to a field down beak.

If she can't eat anything I'd suggest you fed her for a few days to keep her energy up. Soak some pellets in hot water until just soft. Drain the water off. Grasp your birds upper beak with your finger & thumb. Tilt the head back a bit. In the other hand take a pellet & place it to the back of the throat. Let the bird swallow it. I hand fed my U2 like this until she was well over a year old & fully weaned. The amount of pellets I used were 10-12 Zupreem adult size. I fed her 3 times a day.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
This is what my baby girl's beak looks like after her trim View attachment 322209
aww look at that face!! It doesn't look bad. Just tender maybe. I can't tell from that angle if too much was taken off
but it doesn't look like it.
I have my birds spoon and syringe trained. Last night they had purreed pumpkin and squash from syringe. They loved it! Point is when need comes they are spoon and syringe ready.
Sparky had a terrible terrible beak problem, thank God he liked spoon and syringe, he couldn't eat on his own.

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Thanks everyone. I was finally able to use a demitasse spoon with some softened mashed foods. When she opened her mouth I pushed the spoon in so that her top beak will act like a shovel/scoop when I pulled the spoon back out. That enabled the food to get past her tongue. Took me 30 minutes to feed her, but she ate a lot. Poop evidence of digested food was such a sight to behold.