• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Concerned about budgie

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
My 1.5 year old hen Charlie has always been a little clumsy. The only way I can describe it is like her landings are crash landings. She is a very hyper and excited bird and does everything full on- flies fast, plays hard- so I thought it was normal for her. However, in comparison, Flynn slightly older and his landings are precise and light as a feather. Over the past few days, I've noticed Charlie miss her landings altogether and flutter to the floor. I'm starting to wonder if this could be an eyesight thing?

I'm going to take her to the avian vet to check up on everything, but would love to hear what AA thinks.

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
I thought I should add- everything is normal in terms of her appetite, temperament, routine, sleep. She presents as perfectly happy, excited and wants to sing, dance, and preen her humans!

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
Charlie sounds so adorable! I've got no experience with this but just wanted to say I hope the vet trip goes well. Hopefully it's just clumsyness and not anything serious!

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
She is! She is gorgeous! I'm hoping all it is is that she lives so hard and fast and isn't paying attention. She used to sit on our shoulder and then 'tumble' down and land in our lap 20191204_071806.jpg ...we thought something was really wrong until she would always climb back up and do it again....she is a unique bird with her own ideas about fun!

ParrotNuts

Real Name
Atharv
Peelu was very clumsy whenever she flied, when we first got her home, she would drop anywhere in the house. We believe it was Neelu who helped her fly better, but who know? Maybe practice made the budgie better :rofl:

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
Has she ever had her wings clipped?

clarousel

That'a such a cute photo!!! She looks so sweet and cuddly. I miss my Cuddly Preeno... now he's just this crazy beak banger :roflmao:

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That is the sweetest picture! :xflove: My boys are pretty good flyers, but Juju’s flying isn’t exactly what I’d call elegant :)

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
How are her tail feathers? They are essential in controlling slow flight.
That said, I've had a few budgies that would charge around my flat like jet planes and the scares that come with it. They did learn how to slow down eventually. It's so funny sometimes how they just get back up and carry on like it was nothing. They don't realise how close they come to serious injuries or how much they scare us, or should that be they don't care........ they're having fun.

BirdWorld

She is! She is gorgeous! I'm hoping all it is is that she lives so hard and fast and isn't paying attention. She used to sit on our shoulder and then 'tumble' down and land in our lap...
Awww! It’s like her own little slide!

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
My 1.5 year old hen Charlie has always been a little clumsy. The only way I can describe it is like her landings are crash landings. She is a very hyper and excited bird and does everything full on- flies fast, plays hard- so I thought it was normal for her. However, in comparison, Flynn slightly older and his landings are precise and light as a feather. Over the past few days, I've noticed Charlie miss her landings altogether and flutter to the floor. I'm starting to wonder if this could be an eyesight thing?

I'm going to take her to the avian vet to check up on everything, but would love to hear what AA thinks.
Hm, can she fly up at all? Or does she just flutter to the ground? Are you noticing any other things that could show loss of sight?

Lori D Pert

Real Name
Lori
She sounds extremely playful. She also seems to like the more dangerous manouvers..lol. When she seems to have trouble landing, what is she attempting to land on? Is it a flat surface where her grip is compromised? Can she land well on perches? She just may be a little daredevil who likes the excitement of tricky landings. Sam is like this...lol. Lots of rope perches strewn throughout the house give her secure landing spots however I've seen her literally slide right off a table. Consistently misjudging distance would warrant a vet trip though.

Dorcas George

How does one test the vision of a budgie?

Frost was the clumsier one. Packer was the precision flier. I thought.

Hope all is well. Such a cute photo.

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
Hm, can she fly up at all? Or does she just flutter to the ground? Are you noticing any other things that could show loss of sight?
Yep, she can fly up. After she flutters to the ground she flies back up.

If I clip some brocolli to her cage (her favourite) she is over there in a flash so she definitely sees that...

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
How are her tail feathers? They are essential in controlling slow flight.
That said, I've had a few budgies that would charge around my flat like jet planes and the scares that come with it. They did learn how to slow down eventually. It's so funny sometimes how they just get back up and carry on like it was nothing. They don't realise how close they come to serious injuries or how much they scare us, or should that be they don't care........ they're having fun.
I'll take a photo when she wakes up!

I'll ask the vet about her tail feathers too.

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
She sounds extremely playful. She also seems to like the more dangerous manouvers..lol. When she seems to have trouble landing, what is she attempting to land on? Is it a flat surface where her grip is compromised? Can she land well on perches? She just may be a little daredevil who likes the excitement of tricky landings. Sam is like this...lol. Lots of rope perches strewn throughout the house give her secure landing spots however I've seen her literally slide right off a table. Consistently misjudging distance would warrant a vet trip though.

It's more like she completely misjudges where to land.

When she lands on me, she completely slams me.

She likes running around too, and she trips and stumbles sometimes. She just seems a bit awkward and always has. She's always very excited and doesn't seem bothered in the slightest when she trips herself up.