• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

compatibility?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonlady2

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helena
For the folks here have quakers with other species in their home,how do they interact with your other birds. I have heard that they are not particularly friendly to other birds. I have GCC and a Crimson Bellied conure, as well as an Australian King that are out of their cages for a large part of the day, although they are not together when they are out. Don't know where I am yet with adding another bird, (I am getting a male Australian King as companion to my female), just asking questions at this stage. Thanks for any info.:)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I am getting a male Australian King as companion to my female), just asking questions at this stage. Thanks for any info.:)
Be prepared for that not to happen. "You" cannot choose who they will want to be mates with. Only they can choose their friends. No different than you or I. If it doesn't happen you will need to provide yet another environment for that bird now too.

dragonlady2

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helena
I got my female from the same place as the I am getting the male. I will be taking her to visit and socialize her with him as he is being weaned. I recognize that you can't "make" those birdie relationships happen, I am prepared, if, when I get him home and he or she decides this isn't going to happen, to manage that piece. I have rearranged the bird room to accommodate either scenario. I am hoping that by taking her to visit, she is still a baby (6 months), that the chances will be better.:)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Sounds like a good plan. That will give you a pretty good heads up on what the chances are of them being friends. There is the fact that the one you are going to visit is still a baby and once that one hits adulthood that its behavior can and will in all likely change somewhat. I hope it all works out. :hug8:

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
My Quaker, Keiko, cannot be out with any of my other birds - there'd be a big blood bath otherwise. Instead I let him have his out time in my room with me and just hang out with him. He doesn't see it as a loss, because he'd rather human company than company of another species of fid.. hence why he doesn't like any of my other birds. :)

liltweets

Jogging around the block
It would be a blood bath here too if they were to interact. During the day I watch them very closely when they are out together and they are way across the room from each other. If I leave the room for more than a few seconds I put them all in their cages. I don't do much housework during the day, I do it all in the evening and late at night. Not because of them but because I'm a night owl. It works out well. :) Good luck with whatever you decide. :)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Ours act swell with other people and birds when they are in neutral territory like the living room.... they are extremely territorial to people and birds especially when hormonal when they are near their cages..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.