• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Common Grackle as a Housepet

Lula

Moving in
Hello,

Last summer I rescued a young common grackle who has become ensconced in our home. I don't know if anyone here has a pet grackle, but he is really delightful, at times a bit screechy but very sweet. He is approaching one year old and is very tame. He flies free in a large 8 X 15 room with 12' ceilings and occasionally in the rest of our house. I have him on a softbill diet of various brands (Zupreem, Orlux, Unibird), feed him meal worms, fresh fruit and a few veggies, and the odd treat of a peanut and bread. He has an avian vet and is in very good health, although his beak tends to scissor a bit, so he get regular trims.

Since February 11 he has gained some weight, from 142 g to 155g. Do you think he is getting a bit too big or just coming to maturation?

Two things I'd like to accomplish with him are to get him to let me pet him. He will pet and kiss me and braid my hair and sit on my head and shoulders, but he does not like to be stroked or handled. And I would also like to train him to go to the bathroom exclusively in his cage, rather than anywhere he pleases! Any suggestions would be welcome.

Thank you,
Lula

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Unfortunately grackles are not touchy feely birds. If you observe the wild guys they only touch their mate during copulation and maybe very minimal allopreening and during nesting time. I don't think you can get him to like pettings and strokes like some birds like. Also remember he is an individual and you can't change his unique personality:)

Also, I think at 155grams and flying around, he is perfectly healthy:)

Last edited:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
A thing you can try with meal worms is hold them in a fist and slightly show your grackle and have him forage for them. Have him try to open your hand and grab a worm. I did this with Mimi. She loves this game. She was my starling:heart:Also teach him recall flying back to you on command with the mealy worms.

aparrotly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Catherine
Off-topic

I'm not sure where you are, and perhaps you already know, but in the United States and Canada, it's illegal to keep many native birds as pets with obtaining a permit to do so. In the US, the Migratory Bird Treaty Act makes specific mention of the common grackle (Quiscalus quiscula), and the MBTA trumps state law. Although Canada's Migratory Birds Convention Act is based on the United States' MBTA, Canada's version does not protect grackles. If you're in the US and do not already have a permit, be sure to get one.

Lula

Moving in
Thank you all for the great suggestions! I guess I am lucky that his is at least affectionate with me, if not keen on being petted. He does love to play games; I should make the games more directed than random.

I will happily post a picture in the coming days...I have been have computer issues this week and need to get them resolved before I can do this. He is a cutie, I promise!

Lula

Lula

Moving in
Off-topic

I'm not sure where you are, and perhaps you already know, but in the United States and Canada, it's illegal to keep many native birds as pets with obtaining a permit to do so. In the US, the Migratory Bird Treaty Act makes specific mention of the common grackle (Quiscalus quiscula), and the MBTA trumps state law. Although Canada's Migratory Birds Convention Act is based on the United States' MBTA, Canada's version does not protect grackles. If you're in the US and do not already have a permit, be sure to get one.
Thank you, I am familiar with the regulations for my jurisdiction. :)

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Very cool. I like grackles.

Dani

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Can't wait to see pictures!! Welcome to the Avenue :welcome:

Tangle Elf

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I've had a few grackles come through when they were injured. It always amazes me when wild animals know that you're helping. I know that the initial lack of a struggle is probably due to shock. It's the continued trust really warms the heart. I've had about 6 different types of wild birds come through my life for brief periods and all have perched on me before flying away.

Shyra

Avenue Spotlight Award
About every third year we end up with a large flock of grackles nesting in our yard. They've already started nesting this year. I've raised and released two since living here. I had every intention of making that first one a pet but he had other ideas. The first one is who brought me into the world of parrots. IMO parrots make much better pets. Grackles are amazing to watch. The parents care for their young till they are about 6 months old. They definitely practice abundance weaning. Both of the two I raised made a great friend until they got about 9 months old. By then you could tell they were ready to leave the nest. Became very independent with a mind of their own. The second was much easier because I knew what to expect and better how to help her. The first one once spring arrived started wanting to get out with the other grackles it saw that would pass through the yard. It knew it didn't belong in the house with us. So while he was still bonded to me I would take him out and let him forage in the yard and play in the bushes. Inside I would teach him foraging skills make him work for his food, etc. Each day he would spend a little more time outside but would come back in always at meal time - then at dark - then be gone a few days, etc. I kept an eye on his weight to make sure he was finding food during this time. That he was NOT coming in half starved etc. After about three months of this a flock of grackles came through and he left with them. By then he was ready. The second one I knew not to try and make a pet out of but bonded to her enough that she would come to me and come inside. She didn't stay around as long but was still with us for about 10 months before she found a flock to take off with.

Lula, I had a friend at the time that had a male grackle that learned to say hello when he was two. Wasn't as clear as a starling talking would be but you definitely understood him to be saying hello. Sounds like your grackle is in that stage between baby and adult now. A great age to be teaching him new things since you plan to keep him/her. Very smart birds. As for training yours to only poop where you want him to. Good luck. It always amazed me how those grackles could manage to poop in the strangest places. I'll be looking forward to hearing more about your little one. Can you tell yet if it's a male or female?

leafhopper

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
The parents care for their young till they are about 6 months old. They definitely practice abundance weaning. Both of the two I raised made a great friend until they got about 9 months old. By then you could tell they were ready to leave the nest.
I have raised and successfully released more than ten of them last several years picked from the ground very young and grown for a couple of weeks till they fly well enough to hold on trees. The flock - I do not know whether the actual parents of just any birds - gladly accepted them, fed and taught them what needed. The good window to release is when they start flying and while the flock is still around. I read and it seems so that the young leave the nest in about 2.5 weeks after hatching and are fed outside the nest for another three weeks or so. (I am not sure about the timing in your post.) The nests at times are not very sturdy and do not stand even mild winds, with nestlings of all ages dropping off.

The one I am feeding now is from the second brood, and almost all of the flock seem to have left. I would need to release the young bird in about five days, because it is about 12 days old now. If I do not see more grackles in my yard, my first option will be to drive around and find some still feeding their young to release it there. If this does not work, I guess I will have to consider making him a pet at least for a while. I picked it up when it was about two-three days old, eyes closed, no feather. The picture below is actually day 3 of feeding. Most effort has been put in this one vs all previous nestlings at least several days older. You cannot release them so that they are left unattended... What is said in this forum really helps. Maybe I can keep it longer till a flock is around again? On the other hand, how would it learn to take care of itself and find food in the wild? I see how birds teach their young, and I cannot imagine myself in this role well. I guess chances are high that if the bird is not young enough it will not get accepted by or keep up with the flock. Thank you for your suggestions.

Attachments

Last edited:

leafhopper

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Now the bird is growing well and starts to forage actually finding quite a few small insects and other arthropods on the ground. I started walking it in the yard about a week ago, first for a short while, gradually increasing its time outside. Today, it was outside most of the day and it has asked for food perhaps just half as often as before. So it started feeding itself considerably well. I think I will keep it outside as much as possible in the daytime and inside from about 6 PM to 8 AM until it grows more to be sure to avoid cats and squirrels. It actually senses the distance well and is not inclined to fly to neighbors’ yards keeping around mostly either on the ground or on shrubs or trees not too high from the ground. Its flight is fairly strong already, and if it wanted to it could easily fly a couple of blocks away in one go, however it prefers to stay around coming back to our deck requesting extra meals. Sometimes it lands right on my shoulder or arm. The bird is very smart and has a good temper. I am almost sure it will be able to take care of itself soon and will join a flock when it comes to it.

Attachments

Last edited:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
What wonderful posts Leafhopper! It sounds like you are very in tune with his needs and take great care. And understand the way of the wild. Thanks so much for sharing, and caring.:hug8:

Roo bird

Meeting neighbors
Hello,
I came across this site as I was searching for info on pet grackles...:o: I also have a grackle that I hand raised...his name is Leroy...aka: Bubba Roo. He turned 1 y/o in May. Actually he is my first pet bird...I am a vet tech and have worked with birds before but have never really thought of having one as a pet. Long story short...I hand raised him as a baby with the intention of releasing him, w/out properly educating myself on how quickly he would imprint. We have been in love ever since :heart::hehe: I would love to chat with another grackle owner. Leroy also has free roam of a room...he has a cage and I cover him at night...but during the day if he's not attached to me he stays in the room...it has lots of perches, swings, jungle gyms, ect... And he seems to keep pretty busy. The only health problem he has ever had is one episode of scissor beak about two months ago which his vet trimmed...it seems to be getting there again now. My biggest concern since I have never had a bird before...is what to do when I vacation next month. I can't really board him since he is not a common pet and he has such a routine everyday that I am worried how he will handle me being gone. I would have a sitter come twice a day to cover/in cover him and feed him. I would love suggestions... If I kept him caged all week after being used to having free roam would he totally stress out?? He screeches a lot when if I do cage him during the day for some reason. Birds just seems so fragile to me...I am scared.

leafhopper

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
My yard is 0.3 acres and about so are our neighbors'. Our Kitchi (bird's name) still stays 7 PM -7 AM inside, and the rest of the time outside. He is about four months old now. In the meantime, we tried to keep him outside as much as possible since he could fly. He can forage well now, and there is a feeder on the back deck he is using several times a day. However he prefers my wife's and my shoulder to perch on when it comes to it, when we are around. He responds to our calling his name most often. If he is not around for a while and we think he is hungry, my wife and I start yelling a lot calling his name, perhaps disturbing our neighbors, not at a too late hour though. In a while, he responds with a nice call and a quite a bit of chat afterwards (Oh - this is something else - about his speaking with us at home - this is quite a separate and a long story - he is trying to speak in long sentences and in tune with what we ask him!). This is where we are at so far. I do not know what to suggest for your bird. Write more, please. What is your intention - do you want to release him some day? What is the environment out there where you live? I have raised and released quite a few of the common grackles. Kitchi is an older brood with the flock left for the first time in my experience before I could release the young bird. For this reason, things became very different, and likewise has become our connection - very unusual. I know grackles do not like to stick to one place and do fly quite a way away - I wish Kitchi will end up somewhere in Mexico or elsewhere warm and safe with few predators. I do not want him to stay around our place for a very long time as long as it works for him well. Write more about Leroy, please.

Last edited:

Roo bird

Meeting neighbors
Leroy is definitely here to stay! Ive had him for 14 months now...when he was still a baby he had splayed legs which were treated by an avian intern who happened to be at the animal hospital I work at. Also he is very small compared to other grackles I see. 90 grams at 1 yr old....so I think there might be a reason he was abandoned and I'm not sure he could survive in the wild. He is very loved and spoiled and seems quite content being a domestic bird. He has his own room, which is 10x9 there is a tarp covering the floor and lots of perches and swings throughout. He has a cage that I put him in at night but sometimes during the day he goes in on his own. If we are not in his room then he is either on my shoulder or if it's not safe ( we have 3 cats) then he goes in a little portable cage. He hops right in when I open the door....he is usually the centerpiece at our dinner table or on the counter while I do dishes. :) I feel a bond with him that is different than w my cats and dogs...maybe bc I hand raised him, I have two sons and I am married so Leroy gets lots of attention! Sometimes I feel guilty keeping him in the house but I truelly believe he would not be alive if he wasn't. And he has never shown any signss of being unhappy. He likes to dance...shake his tail feather, he greets me when I come home more than my dogs! He seems to keep himself busy with toys and foraging through shredded paper that I hide food in. He has a big personality! :)