• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatoos in the SNOW

Status
Not open for further replies.

tattooedispatcher

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Terri
Gabby Handsome as EVER!

DARLING

It seems I may have ruffled some feathers not meaning too. Yes, I took my guys out in the snow here in GA today for photos. They were not out there more than 10 mins max. When perched on a branch it was cleared free of snow. They were not in harms way. My cockatoos and conure LOVED it. The roomie's gray and my ringneck were not keen on the idea. Yes I took pix, they were great sports, they came in afterwards and they are all fine right now. THey are all out of their cages playing and talking and having a grand ole time. As many of you know I take them out often. I have had these birds from one year to six years now. So any NEW BIRDIE owners, please do not take your birds outside unless harnessed or in a covered cage. DO NOT do as I do,,,,ok

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Personally I love the shots!! :hug8:

Phoenix

Walking the driveway
Good thing it's pictures and not vids..since birds shiver anytime, anywhere, it might have given the wrong impression.:rofl:

btw: where are the harnesses?

Personally, I think they are gorgeous and love the white-on-white of the scenes!:hug8::hug8:

atvchick95

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
Kelli
Good thing it's pictures and not vids..since birds shiver anytime, anywhere, it might have given the wrong impression.:rofl:

btw: where are the harnesses?

Personally, I think they are gorgeous and love the white-on-white of the scenes!:hug8::hug8:

I disagree with that birds do not shiver all the time over anything, None of my birds shiver unless they're A)cold (which has only happened maybe 2 times in 3 years) or B) they are scared - again a rarity so no birds don't shiver all the time at any given time

Phoenix

Walking the driveway
I disagree with that birds do not shiver all the time over anything, None of my birds shiver unless they're A)cold (which has only happened maybe 2 times in 3 years) or B) they are scared - again a rarity so no birds don't shiver all the time at any given time

You are welcome to your opinion.

My house is heated, but I have observed my birds feathers trembling..especially when they want to be picked up, or when I walk by and they want me to notice them they practically shiver in ancipation.

It is not always, in my experience, when they are cold.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
They look great :)

But I do have to warn you about having birds outside, unrestrained (without being in a harness or cage or carrier), especially in freezing weather. If they flew off and got loss in this weather.. they'd be without hope :( Very risky.:hug8:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez

TOTALLY AGREE.

Birds only shiver, like people, when they are cold or nervous(scared). We people may think we know our birds very well, but we have no idea whats going on in their heads or bodies to cause them to shiver or quiver.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
My house is heated, but I have observed my birds feathers trembling..especially when they want to be picked up, or when I walk by and they want me to notice them they practically shiver in ancipation.
I think quivering is different than shivering ;)

Bird quiver a the time for someone to pick the up, we hear it all the time. But it looks A TON different than when they are actually cold, compared to wanting out attention.

Renae

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Great photos .. "weee so much snow!" :D

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Beautiful photos! They look so gorgeous in all the white.

Patrick

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Patrick
Wow. The white on white is really pretty! Gabby looks marvelous too!

Bambino

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Melissa
Great pictures!, but next time I want to see one of the doggie;)

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Birds do shiver when cold. It can be as much as a shower though. They do shiver if very wet. That is part of the process of warming themselves up. Meanwhile they groom their feathers. Both processes are normal and healthy. You don't need a hair dryer as that is drying (think of all the commercials for hair condtioning).

If one is to take their birds in the cold it is always best to acclimate them. They do tolerate colder temps in the home if acclimated (my home is 55 to 60 degress).

A healthy bird with good nutrition adjusts to stresses caused by temperatures. As any stressor it is best to avoid when possible.

As long as a bird is sheltered from the elements such as rain or sleet, winds etc they can do well in cold weather....better than hot weather. The trick is to acclimate them to the temperature change. Natural wood branches are also good as wood is a natural insulator.

BTW...your birds are beautiful and in great feather. The pictures are great.

The Aviary - Hornbeam Aviary Enjoy the snow pictures of this aviary where birds choose to go outside.

Peggy

AngelGoffin

Sprinting down the street
I just loved the pictures! They are so beautiful and the white on white is gorgeous. Angel loves it outside and even when it is way too cold for her, I have to take her out and prove it. Once she figures out it is cold, she's ready to come in, but there have been times when the sun is out and she's in the sun but the air is still too cold for her and even though she is shaking from the cold she doesn't want to come in. But knowing how much she loves being outside, I do my best to take her out as often as possible. The photos are great and I'd bet my last dollar if I took Angel out on the snow she would think it was a great idea, no matter how cold it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.