• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatoo Attack - No warning??

Status
Not open for further replies.

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
There is a M2 at the rescue who has the rep of being unpredictable b/c he will be cuddling one second, and bite you the next. But I've learned to read his body language. When he actually wants you to pet him, he holds onto his perch with his beak and won't look at you at all. When he's getting excited and about to bite, he'll take his beak off the perch (still resting it on the perch but turning his head toward you) and stare at you for a few seconds before he lunges.

Tamara

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tamara R Money
:omg: The video made me jump at the end...

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:eek::omg::eek::omg::eek::omg::eek:

Wow and Yikes! I have zero knowledge when it comes to reading Cockatoos!! Thanks for sharing this. It's definitely interesting to observe what types of people are drawn to certain species of parrots. Frankly I find Toos very pretty with their huge liquid eyes but only from a distance. They seem very cunning to me and I feel a bit afraid of them or perhaps alot afraid of them. Never handled them. Thanks for the video again.. that too ALOT of cojones.:eek:k

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
yikes...youch..hes gorgeous tho

WenM

Real Name
Wendy
Wowie he did not like the camera! Macaw body language is way easier to read - at least mine is - he transmits his intentions and the direction of his actions very clearly, while a Toos eyes are so much harder to read. Eckies think about it for a while, watch you closely and then go for it. Greys are much harder because they are consumate actors - they know what you think is a giveaway and then do the opposite - BANG - Gotcha.

Great stuff John!

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Yep, see, this is one reason why i am not a 'too person. :eek: Wendy's right. Macaws are way easier to read; they telegraph those big haymaker lunges so plainly. IMO, 'toos are subtler and faster. I'm sure if you were around them a lot, you'd get good at reading them, like John. But, I'll take a pass on that, thanks :thumbsup:

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I agree with the macaws being easier to read. I love both 'toos and macaws but I'm a 'too person at heart. :heart:
I'm sure I'll have a house full of them someday.

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
John, thanks for posting that video. Man, you are really fast on your feet, and Tika is lightening quick!!! I've rewatched the video several times, each time I pick up on something I missed the first go around. You are correct when you say that a person might think Tika was just exhibiting playful behavior, enjoying her bagel. Her warnings really are very subtle.

Without getting hurt, I know a lot of us would appreciate seeing more video's of Tika and her warning signs. There is a lot of printed information, but sometimes it just doesn't 'click' until you see it.

Next time my zon is in one of his 'moods' I may try video taping it. Maybe this way someone can help point out his signals that I am obviously missing. Thank you so much for sharing, and risking a painful bite.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The fact is Tika doesn't do that much anymore. We have since achieved a higher level of trust again.

We'll have to wait for next hormone season. This video was just a teaser. When it's really hormone season he doesn't tease. He goes for the jugular. I suppose I could goad him into doing something but I don't think I want to. :eek:

(Refer to the bite photo page for legitimate reasons why.) :)

LuvMyBirds

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barbara
Very informative John. When Tika says NO he means it! :D

Doubleyolk

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Joe
LOL,I saw plenty of warnings in the video. When your owned by a cockatoo you learn pretty quick. The only problem is as we age our eye hand coordination is slower.

Ashley

Real Name
Ashley
I see that alll the time here...sometimes I am attacked without a warning though lol

southerninak

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Amy
:omg: I didn't realize that I could tell the difference but Simon had that "look" only a few times but I couldn't quite put my finger on the reason I felt that way...it was the way he looked at me while playing. it was unusual but so subtle that I didn't know what I knew. I just knew something was different and did not disturb him..moved away to the other bird....hmmm. Definitely a good teaching video.

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
He he he...saw additional video of this. Another message picked up is he is very territorial. He strutted (not walked) part way down the sofa and back. That was NOT a flight response. He needed to remind you the sofa is his territory.

Seems tooz love claiming the sofa. They have enough room to walk back and forth the strut/claim territory. A biting too....get them off the sofa! A seasoned handler knows how to deal with the behavior.

With all that said...he is darling.

Peggy

Last edited:

wolfysluv

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
rebecca stout
Holy crap!!! I jumped right out of my seat from reflex THREE of the four times. I didn't see anything the first time whatsoever. I would have been a goner if I was there. Man. My Tika doens't look nearly so unpredictable now!
Hey this is a GREAT video. Put it up on your youtube if you haven't as a tutorial. Like put in the description what you are show and trying to teach people. Maybe have the title reflect what you are demonstrating for newbies ,like Cockatoo Unpredictable Bite/attack or something.

cacatua alba

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
gudrun
He he he...saw additional video of this. Another message picked up is he is very territorial. He strutted (not walked) part way down the sofa and back. That was NOT a flight response. He needed to remind you the sofa is his territory.

Seems tooz love claiming the sofa. They have enough room to walk back and forth the strut/claim territory. A biting too....get them off the sofa! A seasoned handler knows how to deal with the behavior.

With all that said...he is darling.

Peggy
I have that problem. Any suggestion on how to get them off the sofa?

robin's my baby

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
sarah
crest flicking/raising

Great video and I hope you got out of the way in time at the end.... :rofl:
thats how i new when eva was getting wild (she was a pet store cockatoo who bonded with me) when she got a little to wild and exsted she would rasie her crest then do eye pining... she got me petty good one timebut i had to take the bits to return her to her cage...little buger gave me a skare and sckard the poop out of anouther coustamer who was waching the owner bandge me up... i was so proud i did not scream or cry or enything.

Status
Not open for further replies.