• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Cockatiel won’t stop laying eggs - do I keep them apart?

freddiw1

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
freddi whitall
Hi everyone,

To try and shorten a long story, I had two female cockatiels that lived together and my mom had a male cockatiel that was so bonded with her he never let the girls near him and they all minded their own business. We ended up having a disaster, what we thought was a safe heater ended up killing one of my girls and my mom’s male. She ended up getting another baby male and he didn’t like being alone, we got nervous he wasn’t eating enough so we put them together and he was much happier.
well, they began mating even when he was young, we separated them, they lived next to eachother. But Cali my female has laid probably 20 eggs over the last 2 months and it’s stressing me out. We’ve moved cages moved locations, put them to bed at 7:30, but I think they’re too focused on eachother.
Do I get the male another male friend and Cali another female? Cali I think would be fine as a single because she was for a while and is bonded with me, but I think Bertie the male really needs company.
What would you do? I don’t want to risk Cali laying so much when she’s such a small girl

Rebel

Jogging around the block
Yes keep them apart. More birds most certainly wont help matters. Your main goal at this point is to provide her with plenty of calcium. Cuttlebones, mineral blocks, dark leafy greens etc. etc. I have the same problem. My girl will lay over 20 in a row. The only thing that may slow her down for a bit is to put her in a completely different cage with perches etc arranged totally different from the old cage. New toys that shes not familiar with. Even this doesnt always work. Its very nerve racking for sure. There are other things to try also , like not giving her an abundance food. No nesting material. No shaded areas in her cage. Turning her cage in different directions.No more than 10hrs of daylight until she snaps out of it.
Also, no stroking or petting her. They say its ok to scratch their heads but i dont buy that. As much as my girl like her head scratched, i wont scratch it if shes on an egg laying binge.

Last edited:

Rebel

Jogging around the block
When you get a moment, id like to know more about that heater you mentioned. I most certainly want to avoid any and all dangers.

freddiw1

Real Name
freddi whitall
When you get a moment, id like to know more about that heater you mentioned. I most certainly want to avoid any and all dangers.

It was this lasko space heater that we thought was safe because it’s ceramic but it’s ceramic “element” and ended up killing our birds slowly over 4 weeks sending them into kidney/liver failure and we didn’t know until 2 dropped dead and we tried to save the third but it was too late :(

Rebel

Jogging around the block
Im sorry to hear that about your birds. I wonder what it is about the heater that killed them? This is useful information because i never would have thought this heater would be a problem. I use the oil filled radiator type.

freddiw1

Real Name
freddi whitall
Im sorry to hear that about your birds. I wonder what it is about the heater that killed them? This is useful information because i never would have thought this heater would be a problem. I use the oil filled radiator type.
Yes oil filled is what we use now and what we wish we went with to start with… we think it must’ve been just enough of the toxin where it built up in our room because there isn’t too much air circulation as it’s the third floor and it built up toxicity..

Rebel

Jogging around the block
Yes oil filled is what we use now and what we wish we went with to start with… we think it must’ve been just enough of the toxin where it built up in our room because there isn’t too much air circulation as it’s the third floor and it built up toxicity..
I bought an electric baseboard heater as a backup heating source for my bird room. I wired it up out in my garage to burn off the stink. The amount of smoke and stink it put off from manufacturing oils and what not was incredible. Im glad i didnt just install it without running it first or i would have had to move all of my birds outside.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Gosh I am sorry for all your losses.

Did you get a necropsy to determine it was the heater?
I am having trouble loading the site (possibly my old laptop which is on its way out) so I can not find the specs to see if the heater is pfte/pfoa free. Toxins in the air kill birds incredibly fast- they basically suffocate. Generally if it is a heater that is the problem the birds drop so fast and very close to each other (some people have lost 4 birds in less than 4 mins for example) as the gasses/toxins in the air cause them extreme respiratory distress, I have not personally heard of a heater causing liver or kidney failure.

I am just thinking it might be worth reinvestigating the reason for your losses.

Rebel

Jogging around the block
Gosh I am sorry for all your losses.

Did you get a necropsy to determine it was the heater?
I am having trouble loading the site (possibly my old laptop which is on its way out) so I can not find the specs to see if the heater is pfte/pfoa free. Toxins in the air kill birds incredibly fast- they basically suffocate. Generally if it is a heater that is the problem the birds drop so fast and very close to each other (some people have lost 4 birds in less than 4 mins for example) as the gasses/toxins in the air cause them extreme respiratory distress, I have not personally heard of a heater causing liver or kidney failure.

I am just thinking it might be worth reinvestigating the reason for your losses.
Heres a link to the manufactures website. Maybe it will work for you. The link in the thread is to Home Depot.
Lasko 1500W Ceramic Tower Space Heater with Logic Center Digital Remote, 5572, Black