• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Cockatiel Stringy poop

LeoH

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
bianca tirado
D6FC2576-DE35-4856-B6A0-F76E52528F08.jpeg
Help! Does anyone know if cockatiel droppings in this form are abnormal? This is the first time Peka has had her poop stringy and stuck to her vent. (I know its hard to tell on the picture) her droppings are a different color today than her usual ones. She’s been eating and hydrating. The only difference to her diet was trying grit calcium for the first time a day before. Any idea of what this indicates?

Attachments

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Parrots should not have grit, so I would take that away and see if it gets better. That is definitely it normal, so if it doesn’t get better in a day or so after taking away the grit, your bird should see the vet. Also, does your bird eat any pellets? If your bird eats a well rounded diet, calcium supplements are not necessary. Quite the cutie btw!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
No grit for parrots they husk their seed and do not need it. They also can engorged themselves on grit and become impacted.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Definitely not normal. As above.... remove the grit and reassess the poop in a day. If there are any other changes in your birds behaviours or energy levels see a vet asap, if the poop is not back to normal after removing the grit then please see a vet asap.